Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

An Idea I Heard Today

robopup

Someone at the South River Match today asked what I thought about allowing 7 and 8 round guns to use their full capacity and shoot as minor. I was all for it! :D What dp some of you about this? :huh:

robopup, a few of us have discussed it in the past on this forum. I think the consensus was it would be fine at Minor. Carmoney is setting up a Revo Only match after the Iowa SS Classic in October, he made mention of it but we'll have to wait and see.

I know if it increases participation in Revo, I'd be for it. Be kind of like the "old days" where we had fewer choices. That's funny in IPSC Revo some want to Expand a Rule to get Back to the Old Days!

Still NO to Optics and Comps though.

My guess is the only chance we would have would be a petition AND a continued increase in participation at this years matches.

Maybe we should float Petitions at some of the bigger matches?

Right now it looks like 20+ at several level 3 matches and here in Kansas we may have over a dozen.

Sorry, Jerry V you posted between my reading and writing.

Guess not all think it's a good idea.

I like it, but if it turns away even 1 current competitior, I don't know if it'd be worth it.

Sorry, Jerry V you posted between my reading and writing.

Guess not all think it's a good idea.

I like it, but if it turns away even 1 current competitior, I don't know if it'd be worth it.

Since 1995 I have shot revo in minor. I shoot mostly IPSC / USPSA but also Steel Challenge, ICORE, 3 Gun and PPC. All my different classifiers have been shot with revo in minor inclding Open (with an 8 shot & scope) and most recently Production with my 627 8 shot. My last Limited Nats in 1999 was shot with an 8 shot revo in minor. I had ROs wanting to bump me into open class :-) Dumb idea? I don't think so because I enjoy shooting a revo. Am I making it tough on guns with 20+ rnds shooting major? Hardly. Am I making it harder on other revo shooters? No. I play with my revos because they are fun and I shoot IPSC as the game it is intended to be. Do I have any trophies? Look to see who won the 1998 Open Nationals and the 1999 Limited Nationals with Top Revolver. I am an obsure name since Jerry M was not shooting these two matches but nobody is ever going to take those two National Championships away from me. Shoot for fun and smile alot. It makes people wonder what you are up to :-)

I say leave it as is.

However, a thought is to allow 7 and 8 shots in Production only.

Otherwise join ICORE. Thay take anything that turns.

7 and 8 shots are allowed in Production now. They aren't competitive there, period.

Been there, done that.

pskys2,

No reason to say your sorry, it's your opinion, which everyone is entitled to express ;)

But as AzShooter wrote, those two rounds would make a big difference on the 8 shot arrays: standing reload vs minor scoring :huh:

Just my honest opinion :D

My 2 cents leave it 6 rounds, I just shot an ICORE match last sat in Thibodaux,La. and believe me the extra 2 rounds mean a lot!! It's kind of like letting a 28 round open gun shoot in production, think those extra 18 rounds would make any difference?

I've kicked this around with my AD.

There will be no changes to Revolver division until it gets more participation!!!!

If it gets enough to warrant any kind of change, most likely an OPEN will be added and Revolver will be the same.

So there will be Open Revo and Revo(as it is now) under the blanket Revolver division....But participation will have to go WAY up for them to even talk about it. (like closer to 100 wheels at USPSA Nationals)....30 won't get it. <_< (which would be a 50% increase from last year) :)

But if it ever happens......

I'd say 6 shooters only in REVO then maybe LTD revos and Open Revos....who knows?

HOP

Two extra rounds far out weighs minor scoring.

I'm not at all sure this is true. We've been discussing this same essential issue at length as it relates to the new provisional single stack division. A few people believe that a 10-shot .38 Super 1911 at minor would be an unfair advantage over the harder-kicking 8-shot .45 at major. Most, however, believe that the advantage of major scoring would be more than the extra two shots could overcome, in the long run. Personally, I believe it depends on the match, and in particular the round count and layout of the various stages.

Moving back to revolver--the guy with the 8-shooter would have two more rounds per load, but the disadvantages of minor scoring (which is significant) and a slightly slower reload, on average. Even with .38 Short Colt, or 9mm in a 627-4, the 8-shot guns cannot be reloaded as consistently at full speed as a 625.

Yeah, there would certainly be stages where the 8-shooter would be better--saving a standing reload or whatever. But there would also be plenty of stages that would be basically "six-round neutral" (at least as compared to having 8 rounds available), and then the edge would definitely go to the 625.

I have toyed with the idea of allowing this option in the Iowa Revolver-Only Championship (October 8, 2006), and then setting up the match to try to eliminate any obvious advantage to one platform versus the other. But, at this point most of the shooters I've talked with seem to prefer that we use USPSA Revolver division rules (even though it will remain a non-sanctioned match) and keep it 6-shot only.

Overall, I'm fine with the division rules staying the same--I just don't think it's true that allowing 8-shooters (at minor scoring only) would automatically obsolete the 625. I suspect it would create a situation where several of us would bring both guns to the match and look at the stages before deciding which gun to shoot. Although "gaming the equipment" that way does not bother me at all (I have several guns that fit either category), I suspect it would turn off a lot of shooters and would be perceived as being somewhat unfair to new shooters and the wheelgunner who cannot afford to set up two complete equipment rigs (guns, back-up guns, moonclips, reloading dies, etc.) in two different calibers.

So, I guess I would vote "leave it alone," but somewhat reluctantly....

I have enough trouble with 1 gun, no way would I go to a match and THEN decide what gun to shoot!

Course being a poor ol' country boy I have to be pretty particular on my choices. Besides I'd rather spend the money on ammo. One good thing about Revo is you can actually say that the costs are close LOL!

But, then there's never a BAD reason to buy a new gun.

Looks like the consensus is leave it alone. I am more interested in getting participation up than changing the rules!

Jeez....then Johnny and I would have even more IPSC whiners complaining about us

if we shoot or 8 shooters and finish any highter in the stats :D

And come on guys, I just bought more 40 bullets, more moonclips, tricked out my 610 ! !

Leave it alone for now and see where we get to.

Now if you want a change, make all courses of fire 8 rnd neutral (ie good deal of movement

between target array's) and then I'll shoot my 8 shot ICORE gun :D

Naw....that would screw the sixshooters, sorry.

To add a perspective from the other side of this great big spinning ball we call earth.

I am heading off in 2 weeks to the Oz IPSC Nationals, I had to borrow a 686 to shoot in Revo division as I only own 8 shots and Open ones at that of which I shot one at the 2004 Nationals with the bottom feeders. Now I took a practise run with the old iron sights the other week and realised exactly why I shoot open... so did everyone else for that matter, it wasn't pretty.

We have a very active Icore following over here, and part of the reason is the social aspect. Now if there was an OPEN Revo division in IPSC, we would get people shooting that division, myself included, and they would tend to bring along friends that may shoot in Stock division.

In my opinion I don't think the introduction of an Open Division will steal all the stock division shooters, some may cross over, but as we found when we started running our Icore matches, new Open division shooters bring New stock division shooters with them and Vice Versa. So we went from a 10 member turn out to consistant 30's at our monthly plink match.

I for one would be all for the 7 & 8 shot idea, but I fall in a different catergory, as we aren't allowed over .38 Calibre, if I was allowed to have my 625 back I would be happy with the 6 shot rule.

My 2 cents.

To add a perspective from the other side of this great big spinning ball we call earth.

I am heading off in 2 weeks to the Oz IPSC Nationals, I had to borrow a 686 to shoot in Revo division as I only own 8 shots and Open ones at that of which I shot one at the 2004 Nationals with the bottom feeders. Now I took a practise run with the old iron sights the other week and realised exactly why I shoot open... so did everyone else for that matter, it wasn't pretty.

We have a very active Icore following over here, and part of the reason is the social aspect. Now if there was an OPEN Revo division in IPSC, we would get people shooting that division, myself included, and they would tend to bring along friends that may shoot in Stock division.

In my opinion I don't think the introduction of an Open Division will steal all the stock division shooters, some may cross over, but as we found when we started running our Icore matches, new Open division shooters bring New stock division shooters with them and Vice Versa. So we went from a 10 member turn out to consistant 30's at our monthly plink match.

I for one would be all for the 7 & 8 shot idea, but I fall in a different catergory, as we aren't allowed over .38 Calibre, if I was allowed to have my 625 back I would be happy with the 6 shot rule.

My 2 cents.

Practice, practice, practice 8 Shooter.

I too just went back to iron sights for this IPSC game and it was an eye opener !

Your crazy laws over there don't help much for gear or spirt towards shooting, good luck

at the OZ Nationals and do us revo nuts proud !