Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How Many Moon Clips On The Belt

robopup

I have been going with between 8 and 10, less depending on the stage, but I would like to know what some of the more experienced shooters think. It's funny thou to have a guy totin a limited gun with 4 loaded 20 round mags on his belt asking me if I think I have enough to shoot the stage with 10 moons. B)

I run 8 in front, and one behind the gun for emergencies.

I've only used the emergency moonclip once, on pskys2's stage at the Kansas Sunflower Classic last year. I was hauling ass through it, and loaded moonclips were flying everywhere (I had them hooked out on the front of the holders, which is a speed trick but not real secure). When I got to the very last array, I looked down to find no moons left in front, so I went to the one around back and finished the stage. I was pretty proud of the fact that I was able to complete a "transfer-hands" reload (I had switched to the "hang-on" method a couple months beforehand) with only a minimal loss of time. (Ol' Dave beat me on the stage, though....)

It's amazing how much stuff can run through your head in a very short period of time....!

Edited by Carmoney

I run 8 holders and if the course of fire is tending towards a lot of shooting or if there are some difficult shots, I'll bring one moon up with me to the line for a total of 9. Generally, if the steel is very far away (35 yards or so) and is the 6" square plate variety, I'll shoot a moon or two at it and then leave it since it's just not worth my time. I'll take the miss and leave. I had this happen at the last match, I was left with 1 moon at the end and took the miss.

Vince

six plus one in the gun...if I need more, I'm calling in for an air strike...

any more than that and I'd need help getting around the course of fire with the extra weight.

some guys like Dan C. & John B. can get by with 3 or 4, they never seem to miss...

michaels

6 Singles and 1 Double up front. The thinner you are the more you have to twist to around to get them though.

Depending on the course I may add another single and maybe a double in back. Don't do that if you have to start seated, or if there's something in the course that can grab them.

Plus, the one I keep on my Pinkie Finger to start with.

The number is actually more due to finding the things under pressure than worrying about round count. Besides, I like the flashy Bling Bling look of Nickel Cases hanging around my waist in the early morning dew!

Yea, you guys should'a seen Carmoney, you know the term A**es and Elbows. He had moon clips flying everywhere on the "1st" 20 yard sprint. Looked like shrapnel.

I was proud though that NO Revo shooters couldn't finish the course due to equipment loss, as a couple of Limited and Open shooters did lose all of their extra ammo and ate it at the end.

:ph34r: I carry 8 plus 4 plus 2. The more the better for me. I hate dropping a clip or speed loader or two and then not having that extra 6.

Carry 8 in dual holders (takes up no more space than 4), then 4 moon clips in holders to the left side followed by 2 COMP III holders in the left back. OVER KILL, probably.

post-6193-1143734122.jpg

post-6193-1143734289.jpg

I haven't shot revolver in competition, but I just got a new S&W Model 22 and couple of holders to play with and I'm interested in this. I've wondered how many holders had to be carried. Wow, that seems a lot. Seems like you could easily run out of belt space.

Along with the number, it would be nice to hear which holder your using (e.g. Shoot-The_Moon or the Blade Tech)

We have a small club here and I've only ever seen one guy shoot revolver, and only once quite a while ago. He had the Blade Techs.

I haven't shot revolver in competition, but I just got a new S&W Model 22 and couple of holders to play with and I'm interested in this. I've wondered how many holders had to be carried. Wow, that seems a lot. Seems like you could easily run out of belt space.

Along with the number, it would be nice to hear which holder your using (e.g. Shoot-The_Moon or the Blade Tech)

We have a small club here and I've only ever seen one guy shoot revolver, and only once quite a while ago. He had the Blade Techs.

Now you know why some of us revolver shooters decided to put on some weight. Just so we could hold more moons.

I carry 6 as the norm and one to the line to load with initially. If the stage is very long I may add two more.

I use Shoot The Moons and have found them to be very reliable over the years.

I have been going with between 8 and 10, less depending on the stage, but I would like to know what some of the more experienced shooters think. It's funny thou to have a guy totin a limited gun with 4 loaded 20 round mags on his belt asking me if I think I have enough to shoot the stage with 10 moons. B)

I usually have 8 on my belt. I had a guy ask once "Think you have enough ammo there?"

I said, "Hope so but I will let you know after the stage" He dropped a mag and didn't finish the stage. I smiled as I handed it to him.:D

Regards,

Edited by Round_Gun_Shooter

post-6193-1143763163.jpg

Hey Walt, I'm limping from the weight, just looking at it.

What's the holster?

:ph34r: The holster is a SIDEARMOR made for a 5" N frame. I shoot at 5" SW moel 66 K frame and it works great. picture attached for a different view of my "weight belt"."

post-6193-1143763463.jpg

I'm not in the same class as Hopalong or "Master" Cliff or some of the others on the forum, but i usually have eight on the belt and one in hand when I go to the line. if I can't get it done with 54, then it isn't worth doing. I use two of the blade-tech holders that have them one above the other and the other four on an old Glock double stack two magazine holder that i bought when I first went into high-cap. It holds four, two on each pouch and they come loose very easily and yet still are secure when I am moving. Carry as many as you can and still feel comfortable. you can't have too many.

7 on shoot-the-moon holders on the belt, and 3 extra moon clips in the pocket.

4 of the moon clips on the belt are hanging on by 2 rounds, for speed (relatively speaking) of access.

The last 3 moon clips are on the post of the shoot-the-moon holder, for security, so I don't drop them while moving. (yes, I have lost moon clips while trying to run from position to position)

I still think that wheel gunners should be allowed to have crossed bandoleers of moon clips or speed loaders ;)

I have three of the Blade-Tech holders and four shoot the moons holders for a total of 10 on my belt. Haven't run out yet. Came close at nationals last year on the stage up on the hill by itself. (stage 14? I think) That was an easy stage to get lost on and naturally it was my turn to go 1st. When I was unloading and showing clear, I looked down and there was only two moonclips left on my belt.

As a side note on clip holders etc, has anyone ever shot at the "crazy croc" match in revo class? That match up in Oregon where the minimum round count for a stage starts at about 50 and goes from there? I'd have to get some double clip holders if I went to shoot that one.

Vince

six plus one in the gun...if I need more, I'm calling in for an air strike...

michaels

You don't shoot at Rayner's Range... :lol: . Fields of nasty steel! :huh: Ol' Rick and his Open gun were wondering why I carried all those "extra" moon clips until he saw me run through that revo-shooter meat grinder.

Hey Robo, I just started, or started back to revo, I get the " do you think you got enough ammo" all the time. My reply is it's only 60 rounds along with the 6 I carry to the line. Now this is coming from an open shooter with 4 28 round mags, you do the math.LOL I run 6 shoot the moons and 2 blade tech doubles. I also get called Gabby a lot, that's fine they're just jealous they don't have a pretty 610 like mine.