Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Affordable True 1x Variable?

open17

Does anybody make a 1x-?x variable scope that is a true 1x, and doesn't cost more than my rifle?

I'm running the Simmons Pro-Diamond now, with auxiliary side irons for short shots.

I think a 1x would be faster, but I can't seem to find one that's reasonably priced.

Meopta, Zeiss, Burris, Valdata are all nice--but way out of the "just want to try it"

budget. Bushnell's 71-1432 is advertised as 1x, but is actually closer to 1.3x

Any suggestions?

How about running an illuminated dot/reticle 1.5x-?x with the front lense covered

for close shots? I know it's beeen tried, how did you like it?

Mueller was working on a compact 1-4x designed for sport rifle shooting. It combined some of the better features of Acog, eotech, and aimpoint reticles with a few new twists but not the mil-spec toughness; it's a sport scope. There was a big thread following its development at ar15.com, but I haven't checked it lately. I think a few people from there actually approached Mueller with the idea to get it started. At last reading, they had prototypes out to a few testers but something in the illumination system was changed at the factory (affecting battery life and illumination levels adversely) and the scope designer was never consulted. It has the potential to be a nice 3-gun or AR optic in the $300 range. I'm fairly sure the 1x was intended to be a true 1.0X.

Edited by 1911user

Does anybody make a 1x-?x variable scope that is a true 1x, and doesn't cost more than my rifle?

I'm running the Simmons Pro-Diamond now, with auxiliary side irons for short shots.

I think a 1x would be faster, but I can't seem to find one that's reasonably priced.

Meopta, Zeiss, Burris, Valdata are all nice--but way out of the "just want to try it"

budget. Bushnell's 71-1432 is advertised as 1x, but is actually closer to 1.3x

Any suggestions?

How about running an illuminated dot/reticle 1.5x-?x with the front lense covered

for close shots? I know it's beeen tried, how did you like it?

I used to have a Leupold 1x4 Vari-X 2. It might not have been a true 1x, but was real close to it. The front sight of the Ruger No.1 was in focus when turned down all the way. It had the Duplex reticle.

Weaver makes a little 1x3 that is a very good little scope. Small, light, good field of view. I really like the one I have on my very light cav arms 16in. Eric Lund uses this scope quite a bit( and very well too), about 150 bucks.-----Larry

Meopta 1x4x22 is a true 1 power w/ 111 ft. field of view & cheaper than your ar-15 but just barley.

Benny,

That's the best comment I've seen on scopes for a while. My AR now has the Simmons Benny Special. I don't shoot enough 3 gun to spend that kind of money on a scope that's used a couple times a year. Now maybe if Powerball is kind........

Thanks everybody. I ordered the Weaver 1x-3x, should be here in a few days. I'll

put it on my backup gun and be able to compare it side-by-side with the Simmons.

Wish it had a little more top end, but a good clean 3x should work fine.

Did a little research on the new Mueller 1x-4x, with the illuminated reticle. Looks like

it's going to be one heck of a scope, if they can get it past the prototype stage and into

production. Mueller thinks they may have it on the market in 60 days or so----when(if)

that happens I may be getting one of those!

• 1 month later...
Thanks everybody. I ordered the Weaver 1x-3x, should be here in a few days. I'll

put it on my backup gun and be able to compare it side-by-side with the Simmons.

Did a little research on the new Mueller 1x-4x, with the illuminated reticle. Looks like

it's going to be one heck of a scope, if they can get it past the prototype stage and into

production. Mueller thinks they may have it on the market in 60 days or so----when(if)

How do You like the Weaver V3 ?

just wondering.

I just ordered one.

How do You like the Weaver V3 ?

just wondering.

I just ordered one.

Shot my first match with it yesterday. Like the 1x up close, very fast. I've got it in a

set of Warne ultra-high QD rings, and it indexes great for me. Wish it had a little

more top end. We had some 8" resetting poppers at 200+ yds, and I was having a little

difficulty with them. All in all, I like it. Great scope for the price. Didn't do all that great

in the match, but it was the first 3 gun match in a while, new gun configuration, new scope. Actually the gun ran great, but I think the operator needs to do some practicing!

A little off topic but you can still find USA (Denver) made Redfield 1X-4Xx20 African Hunter scopes for $100-$150. Great scope for the money, rugged and works for me. Gun show treasures. Got mine from Ron Prachyl, one of Speedy's friends. Some have Accu-Range reticles and complementary bullet-drop elevation turret for shooting out to 600 yards.

A little off topic but you can still find USA (Denver) made Redfield 1X-4Xx20 African Hunter scopes for $100-$150. Great scope for the money, rugged and works for me. Gun show treasures. Got mine from Ron Prachyl, one of Speedy's friends. Some have Accu-Range reticles and complementary bullet-drop elevation turret for shooting out to 600 yards.

Okay, but are they a TRUE 1X? It seems that scope manufacturers play pretty fast and loose with their specs, e.g. Leupold's "1-4x20mm" is really a 1.6-4.2.

Ed

Okay, but are they a TRUE 1X? It seems that scope manufacturers play pretty fast and loose with their specs, e.g. Leupold's "1-4x20mm" is really a 1.6-4.2.

Ed

No it is not a true 1X. It is more like 1.25X but as good as any I've had the chance to use. And it lacks all the tricky lens coatings that screw up light transmission. Just good old USA made glass.

ETA these Redfields were designed when Don Burris was still at Redfield. They were the best of their time and are damn good scopes. Just lack a lot of California Mickey Mouse and marketing hype.

Edited by MyBoyElroy

that mueller scope is like vaporware-no one has seen it with that reticle. it was supposed to be out many moons ago. sound nice, but i want to see it in production first. the ior valdada was sweet-just real expensive, not to mention the size of the tube.

The little weaver is real close if not a true 1x and its just a good piece, just runs out of maginifaction if targets dont have a lot of contrast. I have one on a real light wt. AR and it rocks on the close stuff.------Larry

I just got My Weaver V3 a few days ago.

I'm still trying to decide how to mount it on My flat-top AR.

I shoot with my nose to the charging handle, and need something to move the little scope foward.

I'd like a LaRue SPR-E mount, but it's more $$ than the scope.

LaRue SPR-E mount

I might put a extended scout rail on the receiver, like this, link

link to My Rifle.

What do you guys recommend?

Thanks

Derek

Meopta 1x4x22 is a true 1 power w/ 111 ft. field of view & cheaper than your ar-15 but just barley.

I ordered one and while it WAS nice it was a bit LOONNGG. If the Nightforce was visable in sunlight Id bite the bullet and go that route including the LaRue mount again. Sent the MeOpta back to the dealer who was decent enough to just swap it for an Aimpoint. My caveat is I dont shoot more than 100 yds in matches for now.

The bad thing is most of the casual shooters like myself who dont really mind laying out the cost for what we want find it hard to just pony up and buy the latest and greatest unless I can lay hand on it and judge how it fits my needs.

I wish the major dealers would come to more BIG gun shows or have a list of STOCKING dealers so I can see what read about. Sorry for the drift but its a sore spot.

• 5 weeks later...

I ordered one and while it WAS nice it was a bit LOONNGG. If the Nightforce was visable in sunlight Id bite the bullet and go that route including the LaRue mount again. Sent the MeOpta back to the dealer who was decent enough to just swap it for an Aimpoint. My caveat is I dont shoot more than 100 yds in matches for now.

The bad thing is most of the casual shooters like myself who dont really mind laying out the cost for what we want find it hard to just pony up and buy the latest and greatest unless I can lay hand on it and judge how it fits my needs.

I wish the major dealers would come to more BIG gun shows or have a list of STOCKING dealers so I can see what read about. Sorry for the drift but its a sore spot.

The length of the scope is listed in the specs section. That length is why the meopta works so well in bright lite, the last 3 inches or so is sunshade.------Larry