Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

The Reload

I wish we could get a few of you guys on hi-speed camera... I was trying to check out some details of your left hand as it leaves the belt and approaches the gun... and it's a blur in each frame :lol: :lol:

Quick question... I noticed that both Jake and Travis move the pistol back and forth slightly to get ready before they initiate the reload. Is this just getting settled in or is there some other logic behind it?

Thanks!

John

• 2 weeks later...

With that mag button I have on there I do not need to shift my grip (I can just barely reach it). If I do have to shift my grip though, the gun hits the exact same way points, there is just more movement as the gun shifts from side to side.

Thanks for posting that video Jake! It's great to have real time images to burn into your head.

When you watch it do you think you could shave a few thousanths off the time by not waving the pistol all over the place before the mag gets there and getting the movement down to more left hand and less right or does the movement from the right hand turning and bringing the gun closer need to be as big as it is?

Dale,

Whenever I look at videos of myself I ALWAYS see placed where I can shave time. The gun movement is down to just about as little as possible. You don't want to reload too far away from your body because you lose almost all of your fine motor control, the gun has to be tilting to you can see the magwell and look the reload in.

zhunter,

Thanks bro! I wouldn't go that far....TT is still my hero. ;)

John... I do it the same way.. basically that is getting our grip set on the pistol so it would actually be a perfect grip before we begin to reload. A lot of us here, i know both jake and i learned our reload directly from travis himself so that's a big part of it... monkey see monkey do.

Hmmm.. I just noticed something different between Jake's reload and many others I've seen. Jake must shoot with his arms bent, so he has no need to bring the gun back, then tilt it, he just tilts it and it's right there. So by doing this you eliminate the back and forth movement and you eliminate any inconsistency in timing the backwards and tilt motion with the upcoming left hand. Sorry for pointing out the obvious to the more experienced, but it just hit me as I watched this video for the 20th time.