Wierdest Equipment Malfunction

Paul B

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I wonder who makes Para slides - Para? I've had a lot of cracks in other slides specially Caspian (with 115's in .38 super) but have rarely seen this kind of failure. Would love to know the rest of the set up in the gun like recoil spring, shock buffs etc. Any work done on the slide like reverse plug, etc.

Paul B,

The Para is a stainless p14-45 Limited. It has a magwell,

fiber optic, and experimental ghost ring. It has about 30,000

rounds of "equivalent-to-factory" through it. By this I mean

mid-190's power factor (extensively chronographed in all

temperatures).

The breakage history is a firing pin stop, a sear spring, the little

plunger in the slide for the series 80 trigger, a magazine catch, the rear

sights fell off (the pin broke), and a barrel that cracked where the

feed ramp meets the chamber. Para replaced the plunger and barrel.

No word yet on the slide from Para.

The recoil spring is stock. There were no shock buffers and no work of

any kind done on the slide. This is my ipsc standard gun and apart from

cosmetics is just the way it came from Para.

Glen

• 2 weeks later...

Glen, thanks for the information. I don't want to send this thread down too much of a sidestreet, but that really is about the weirdest thing I've ever seen happen to a slide. I have cracked the slides on 2 open guns. Once I wouldn't have known it except I was cleaning the gun. The other actually caused the gun to stop working. It went single shot and I (stupidly) actually finished a stage with it in single shot mode.

The internal Para parts are really not good and I replaced all of them as soon as possible in my LTD gun.

It would be interesting to see what Para says about the slide - even if what they say may be self serving. Caspian actually warns that their slides will not hold up under continuous 115's but a .45 slide just should not let go like that even in a kaboom.

Para has replied. Here is a quote:

"The bad news is that this situation is not covered under

the Limited Lifetime Service policy simply due to the fact

that standard factory ammunition and proper recoil spring

replacement intervals would have never allowed this to happen."

I guess they don't believe my power factor. Not a problem, as

I'm not going to be knowingly shooting cast slides in the future.

Perhaps an overreaction, but I used up an enormous amount

of good luck in this event.

Glen

The weirdest equipment malfunction was also the scariest. I was on the line with my STI in a CR Speed holster. Hands at sides, and before the buzzer went off, the gun tumbled out of the holster (was canted a little too far forward). As the gun fell, I looked down and could see the barrel pointing straight at my head. Naturally, I was DQed. On the way home I couldn't shake the snapshot and still vividly remember the "oh shi..." feeling.

That afternoon I stopped at Home Depot and bought a long nylon screw. Drilled a hole in the CR muzzle cup and glued it in. There's no way it's gonna fall out now. Can't see much difference in speed, but even if there was, I'd give up the 2/10 of a second for the peace of mind. This mishap gave me a new apreciation for safety.

Probably not the wierdest, but still a wierd malfunction happened during a stage walk-thru at a local match. One shooter was running a P14 in a DOH kydex holster and some screws had worked loose. When the rear screw at the top of the holster that secures it to the hanger fell out, the holster quickly pivoted under the weight of the gun and threw the gun on the ground.

Check those screws!

Probably not the wierdest, but still a wierd malfunction happened during a stage walk-thru at a local match. One shooter was running a P14 in a DOH kydex holster and some screws had worked loose. When the rear screw at the top of the holster that secures it to the hanger fell out, the holster quickly pivoted under the weight of the gun and threw the gun on the ground.

Check those screws!

Screw worked loose on my kydex, holster pivoted and now I'm looking at the wrong end

of a barrel.

Does that mean my tension is set too tight?

+1 on check those screws

• 1 month later...
I was RO'ing a friend several years ago that was shooting a JP rifle (no brass deflector) and he put 2 quick rounds on a close target. Both pieces of brass stuck to my chest in the V of the polo shirt I was wearing. So I'm trying to get the brass off my chest and keep up with the shooter (field course) and they both get caught at my stomach due to a tucked in shirt. I had multiple burns (AR15 brass is HOT) and everyone thought my "hot brass in shirt while RO'ing" dance was very funny. Next stage. I'm smarter about JP rifles now so I have my left hand holding my colar closed and right hand is holding timer up in the air. He shoots a close target and puts 2 pieces of brass right down my shirt sleeve. Of course, My shirt is still tucked in so the brass gets stuck in my waist line again and I now look like somebody that has just rolled around in a pile of hot .223 brass without a shirt on. Again, the bystanders thought they could have won money on Americas Funniest Home Videos if they had filmed it.

I NEVER hold a timer up in the air anymore and I hate RO'ing a person shooting a JP rifle. I do love my JP though.

A similar thing happened to me during basic training. We were at the range training with our M-16's and since it was training, you had to have someone laying in the prone, as you were, at a 90 degree angle to you watching your technique (stock to cheek weld, breathing, trigger pull, etc.). We would lift our left hand to block the brass as the shooter fired, since we were on the right side of the shooter, to get the best view. As you can imagine, it was summer in GA and we had full gear on (LBV, Kevlar, etc.) and it was hot. I was watching my partner fire while waiting for us to switch so I could fire; the drill SGT was behind both of us sitting on a stool. My partner was firing and I was watching intently. About half-way through his mag, a piece of brass somehow missed my blocking hand, flew right over, and stuck in the chin strap of my kevlar. It burned against my cheek and took a while for me to dislodge. The drill SGT who saw the whole thing shook his head and after we finished firing said to me "You'll pay attention next time won't you". I have a nice scar on my cheek that is barely noticable anymore, but the memory is still there. (Good Times)

Irate

(yes 223 brass is hot)

• 4 weeks later...

I have a couple to add...

Shooting my p-14 several years ago I sheared the lugs off my barrel, when the slide would not return to battery .. I dropped the mag and the slide and barrel casually flew off the top if the gun....oops.... The nice folks at barstow replaced it and it is a tack driver once more ;)

Same gun different match... shooting the last stage of a very hot AWARE several years ago, a nice little 140 point field course, After engaging the first 6 targets something caught my eye...it was my rear sight flipping up 90 degrees after the elevation screw broke....I finished the stage and after unload & show clear the RO commented that I guess only the front sigth was important ... cause I was only down 8 points ....

One more..

Shooting an Area Match in VA several years ago using my SS 1911.. bobbled a reload...round stayed on top of the mag just flipped around backwards.....:) slide came forward pushed it about 1/2 into the chamber... zeroed the stage.. had to poke it out with a pencil...:)

Thats all I got for now...I am sure if I keep shooting I will see more weird stuff....

• 2 months later...

This one is not a malfunction per se, but close enough. Ga. state a few years ago, start was on a platform about 5' off the ground. Engage 4 targets, then a trip down some stairs, through a door to more targets. Shooter with a 625 smith revolver engages 3 targets, reloads, engages remaining target, starts down stairs when"BANG!". RO stops shooter. Shooter says"I didn't shoot" opens cylinder and shows 4 live and 2 fired. One of his loaded moon clips had fallen off of his belt and hit a piece of gravel on the ground below, detonating a round. We found the clip with the side blown out of one round. Guess that's another reason to wear safety glasses as soon as you hit the range.

I have one that is truely unique.......

At Area1 2006, my first stage, I ran the course fairly well(I really blew that stage!) got to the last two poppers..... My 1911 stove piped!

In clearing the jam, I somehow hit the main pin with my finger and dislodged it while racking the slide.

The whole upper slammed forward and left the frame.......

The CRO was totally wrapped in disbelief, we stood there looking at each other and at the whole upper assembly of my 1911 laying on the ground for along time.

The Ro finally spoke up and said,"I think the propper command here, would be, Stop."

I said, "Ok, I don't think I can continue anyway." :)

We found the missing pin in the gravel, and chuckled about the situation....

RPM

Edited by RPMartin

On my Beretta:

not that weird:

- Had a baseplate break and all the rounds puked out the bottom

quite weird:

-Had the lever break on top of the frame that actually moves the sear allowing the pistol to decock. Totally locked up the [loaded] pistol and took a while to clear.

rvb

Had the strangest jam two weeks ago at a match. Slide didn't go forward, try to rack it, but slide wouldn't move back. Looked into the ejection port, there was a case in the chamber and a live round facing backwards sandwiched between the case and the breech face. Major WTF moment. And no I didn't put in a round backwards.

Edited by Scooter

It can also happen in the round gun.

During the second stage of a local match I went for the reload on revolver, S&W 686, eject the empties and tilt gun forward to recieve the next batch of six - the cylinder drops into my hand instead. The screw had worked itself loose and I had not checked it that day.

I found the screw and the cylinder didn't hit the ground. Zeroed the stage.

• 3 months later...

You boys think 223 brass is hot? <_< Now that the M14 is making a comeback wait till you get a taste of 308! :o

I was RO'ing a friend several years ago that was shooting a JP rifle (no brass deflector) and he put 2 quick rounds on a close target. Both pieces of brass stuck to my chest in the V of the polo shirt I was wearing. So I'm trying to get the brass off my chest and keep up with the shooter (field course) and they both get caught at my stomach due to a tucked in shirt. I had multiple burns (AR15 brass is HOT) and everyone thought my "hot brass in shirt while RO'ing" dance was very funny. Next stage. I'm smarter about JP rifles now so I have my left hand holding my colar closed and right hand is holding timer up in the air. He shoots a close target and puts 2 pieces of brass right down my shirt sleeve. Of course, My shirt is still tucked in so the brass gets stuck in my waist line again and I now look like somebody that has just rolled around in a pile of hot .223 brass without a shirt on. Again, the bystanders thought they could have won money on Americas Funniest Home Videos if they had filmed it.

I NEVER hold a timer up in the air anymore and I hate RO'ing a person shooting a JP rifle. I do love my JP though.

A similar thing happened to me during basic training. We were at the range training with our M-16's and since it was training, you had to have someone laying in the prone, as you were, at a 90 degree angle to you watching your technique (stock to cheek weld, breathing, trigger pull, etc.). We would lift our left hand to block the brass as the shooter fired, since we were on the right side of the shooter, to get the best view. As you can imagine, it was summer in GA and we had full gear on (LBV, Kevlar, etc.) and it was hot. I was watching my partner fire while waiting for us to switch so I could fire; the drill SGT was behind both of us sitting on a stool. My partner was firing and I was watching intently. About half-way through his mag, a piece of brass somehow missed my blocking hand, flew right over, and stuck in the chin strap of my kevlar. It burned against my cheek and took a while for me to dislodge. The drill SGT who saw the whole thing shook his head and after we finished firing said to me "You'll pay attention next time won't you". I have a nice scar on my cheek that is barely noticable anymore, but the memory is still there. (Good Times)

Irate

(yes 223 brass is hot)

Irate

(yes 223 brass is hot)

:D

Had the barrel of my 249 SAW fly off one time when I ripped off a 10 round burst. Always wondered why they made us lug around a spare barrel.

At my last match, 1st stage went fine. Second stage had a jam. Third stage 3 of my mags had feeding problems. The bullets were sitting nice and level so they wouldnt feed.

A friend of mine said " bend the springs up,,, you should know this" I did know this but first match in 4 years, the learning curve is still there...

Here's a strange one I still can't understand.

At the Single Stack Classic about 3 years ago I was shooting the dark house. I burned through the first 90% in great shape and as I turned a corner to engage the last target in the house..... I heard this really strange sound, my sights disappeared, and my gun failed to fire.

The RO shined his light on my Kimber 1911--- and the slide was locked back and the magazine spring was sticking up through the top of the ejection port. We both looked at each other and then on the ground... and at my feet layed 4 rounds and the follower from the mag. Figure that one out?????????????

I was using Shooting Star mags. and a Kimber Custom Target II.

I dumped the mags on eBay and switched to Wilson Combat.

I did somthing similar to that, about 6 years ago. At the time i was shooting an EAA open gun in 9x21. It was at an indoor USPSA match. About half way through the stage my slide stop sheared off and the whole upper assy launched about 3 feet in front of me. No one was injured and i wasnt DQ'ed. I wish i would have had it on video.

As was pointed out by a dear friend at the Crazy Croc match a few years ago following an identical incident - by statute, the bit with the serial number IS "the gun," and, as such, he was still holding "the gun" (albeit radically lightened) - no DQ ensued... :lol:

Does this mean that the shooter would have been DQ'ed in Italy where the barrel is the part that is legally a firearms?

• 1 month later...
I had that happen once too. well sorta.

It was hot out and I took my hat off. A piece of 22 brass landed inside my glasses on my cheek. That did not feel good. I have a small scar to remind me to keep my hat on now.

Same thing happend to my stepfather at the fall classic.Running through a swingin el prez and last shot on first string peice of .45 lands in his glasses against his cheek.While this is happening he for got he had to run through it again.Reload, kept going, did horrible on that stage. 3rd for me :D

Same match i had something happen.Ran my first 6 stages great.I mean you could not wish for a better day (First big match).Last shot of 6th stage my rear sight flys off.Used a buddys gun to finish match.Didn't go to well.

Illinois sectional same year.First stage bout halfway through i notice my rear sight doesn't look quite right but can't put my finger on it.(Fast moving). When i get done i look and hlak my sight cracked and broke off.(i don't have the best of luck with sights, no problems since then though.)

I had that happen once too. well sorta.

It was hot out and I took my hat off. A piece of 22 brass landed inside my glasses on my cheek. That did not feel good. I have a small scar to remind me to keep my hat on now.

Same thing happend to my stepfather at the fall classic.Running through a swingin el prez and last shot on first string peice of .45 lands in his glasses against his cheek.While this is happening he for got he had to run through it again.Reload, kept going, did horrible on that stage. 3rd for me :D

Same match i had something happen.Ran my first 6 stages great.I mean you could not wish for a better day (First big match).Last shot of 6th stage my rear sight flys off.Used a buddys gun to finish match.Didn't go to well.

Illinois sectional same year.First stage bout halfway through i notice my rear sight doesn't look quite right but can't put my finger on it.(Fast moving). When i get done i look and hlak my sight cracked and broke off.(i don't have the best of luck with sights, no problems since then though.)