Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Wierdest Equipment Malfunction

Paul B

I bought a cheapo 10 round mag for my 1911 at a gun show because my buddy thought it was amusing... it wasn't as amusing to me when I found out the lips to the mag where open to much and the entire contents rainbowed out of the ejection port when I reloaded while in slide lock... the magazine went down range with the ammo it ejected out of anger.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Funniest that's happened to me is glock guide rods popping out and flying down range.... gun still works but it sure is disconcerning. that or drawing my para P14 too fast a few years ago and watching the mag fly down range as i realized it was my Last one!!!

Speaking of losing mags my worst equip failure was my mag pouches we had a stage with a bunch of clay birds on the ground that were considered land mines at the start position gun loaded and holstered and you have to move around the land mines or there was one spot where you could hop over them and I decided to hop over them and didn't realize until I got to the last port that all my mags were missing apparently my mag pouches were not tight enough and I lost all my mags when I hopped over the land mines I had no idea where they were until I unloaded and showed clear after not having enough ammo to finish the stage

Oops.

My weirdest malfunction was with a friend old Remington Nylon 66, after a good cleaning, I reassemble it, and did the safety shooting test, and troufff, all round gone in full auto shooting, surprising, but funny.

After a (cough) few mags... I disassemble it to see what happens, and found nothing wrong, and this "symptom" never get back, wierd.

I was at a highpower match the other day and one of the shooters (a past state champion) had a blown primer get stuck in in the cam hole of his bolt carrier on his AR. This would not allow the bolt to open. We had to take his gun apart and literally hammer his bolt back. The gun worked when we were done. AR's are pretty tough.

Darren

• 1 month later...

I have not had any shooting match mishaps, I did have a fresh glock 17 gen 4 stove pipe a round... The usual thing for me was getting hot brass from everyone else s weapons down my body armor. That's what I call good training.

Ahhh, the hot brass dance. It's a hoot

It's less fun with body armor, you just have to wait till it cools. Usually can't get to it fast enough so you just deal... lol

• 4 weeks later...

I almost shot myself in the hand with an M&P 22 once. Still not sure what happened.

I clicked, but there was no bang. I turned the gun in my hand and was about to rack the slide when it went off.

I had powder-marks on my left hand, I got lucky the bullet didn't hit my hand. I still can't quite figure it out,

It was like when a muzzleloader doesn't go off at first.

I haven't been shooting USPSA enough to see interesting oopses, but have played the Cowboy Game for over 15 years.

About my second or third year, I had gone from borrowed cap and ball revolvers to cartridge and had a Colt clone that during a stage, I sent the entire ejector rod housing and contents down range. The retaining screw had worked it's way out and garnered a trip back to the importer.

Most clones have a second base pin notch as a safety to meet import rules, it is frustrating to get to the line and find that the pin got pushed in to the "safety notch" and you go click, click, click, click, click on your second pistol (bought those misses).

Shooting a local steel match with my CAS guns and grabbed some ammo, it was the Black Powder match loads for level 2 matches :huh: Didn't wear a Stetson that day. If you think that an AR creates HOT brass, try a case full of FFFg in a 357 Mag. It went down the back of my t-shirt. The peanut gallery said that the air turned blue and my muzzle stayed down range really well :devil:

Magazine end caps unscrewing and coming out, rifle cartridges landing in the ejection port of a staged 1897 shotgun, shooter loading their watch chain or ends of their bandana into the double barrel shotgun, and shooters loosing the rear sights on the rifle have all been seen and gotten some good laughs after the fact.

I was at a highpower match the other day and one of the shooters (a past state champion) had a blown primer get stuck in in the cam hole of his bolt carrier on his AR. This would not allow the bolt to open. We had to take his gun apart and literally hammer his bolt back. The gun worked when we were done. AR's are pretty tough.

Darren

That has happened to me before, and it is a total drag.

Come to mention it, I did see a shooter try to load his cell phone into his AR during a multigun match a few weeks ago. Twice :surprise:

I so wish I saw that!

Local outdoor match, shooter was using an inside the waistband holster. On the draw of the first stage he pulls out the gun with the holster still on it! Safely, without sweaping his hand he removed the holster and kept shooting. The hard part came at unload and show clear, his holster was back up range about 30 yards. lol

Here is one for the revo guys,

I love doing a reload and as I come up with my moon clip I notice the cylinder is in the sand. :o

Yep, that would put a kink in things and make shooting a little hard.

Joe W.

• 2 months later...

Had one at our last Hybrid Steel match. Wearing my CAS Wild Bunch rig and added a single mag pouch from my SS rig. Small problem, the Blackhawk pouch is for an 1-1/2" belt and the Ted Blocker belt is 2" :surprise: On the last stage, went for my last mag on the last string and pulled both the mag and the pouch! Kept moving from the reload position to my mouth and grabbed the belt clip with my teeth and yanked the mag out and completed the reload :roflol: The RO said that it looked like a classic movie grenade prep., but it also tanked that string for me. Cest La Vie.