Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Wierdest Equipment Malfunction

Paul B

I remember during some of the early USPSA days (80's) a friend was shooting a single stack .45 Gold Cup. The barrel had been replaced with an ill fated experiment that was 2 pieces.

The rear part where the lugs and chamber are had been milled out and a barrel with "special" reverse spin rifling was sleeved and brazed into the rear part. This was supposed to give exceptional accuracy and it really did with one hole groups at 25 yards. Unfortunately it was made for bullseye loads.

One day at match the whole barrel went down range when the friend shot the gun. The rear part of the barrel stayed in the gun. After we realized what happened and no one was hurt there were a lot of laughs (the bullet actually left the barrel and hit the target - the barrel itself went about 100 feet).

Don't think I've ever seen a barrel like this since - probably for good reason.

By the way the gun was fine and with a new barrel it still is working just fine.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I did somthing similar to that, about 6 years ago. At the time i was shooting an EAA open gun in 9x21. It was at an indoor USPSA match. About half way through the stage my slide stop sheared off and the whole upper assy launched about 3 feet in front of me. No one was injured and i wasnt DQ'ed. I wish i would have had it on video.

That is strange.

I had a Todd Jarret malfunction. I was shooting a steel match. In this stage we were shooting through a sonotube and empty shell bounced off the wall of the tube and back into the chamber. It looked pretty strange to me.

Another time I was shooting my kimber at a steel match carfully watching my front site as I pulled the trigger and boom the gun goes off the site rises and this huge projectile{wich I soon realize is my recoil spring and plug} goes flying towards the steel plates. The bottom fingers on my barrel bushing broke leaving me springless.

Another time I was shooting my kimber at a steel match carfully watching my front site as I pulled the trigger and boom the gun goes off the site rises and this huge projectile{wich I soon realize is my recoil spring and plug} goes flying towards the steel plates. The bottom fingers on my barrel bushing broke leaving me springless.

I've seen that happen.

I did somthing similar to that, about 6 years ago. At the time i was shooting an EAA open gun in 9x21. It was at an indoor USPSA match. About half way through the stage my slide stop sheared off and the whole upper assy launched about 3 feet in front of me. No one was injured and i wasnt DQ'ed. I wish i would have had it on video.

As was pointed out by a dear friend at the Crazy Croc match a few years ago following an identical incident - by statute, the bit with the serial number IS "the gun," and, as such, he was still holding "the gun" (albeit radically lightened) - no DQ ensued... :lol:

As was pointed out by a dear friend at the Crazy Croc match a few years ago following an identical incident - by statute, the bit with the serial number IS "the gun," and, as such, he was still holding "the gun" (albeit radically lightened) - no DQ ensued... :lol:

He may not have dropped the "gun", but did the muzzle break the 180??? :lol:

I watched a friends Glock go full auto in a 20 round stage he went through 4 20 round mags. Now he shoots a fat free from Benny and i've seen him shoot a piece of ejected brass with the next round into the target he was shooting at.

The heavy guide rod broke off at the head at the beginning of a practice session; the gun sounded funny but it didn't strike me I was without a guide rod. Never shot better. I have since changed back to a standard guide rod. Oh, I found the rod portion as I picked up my brass.

I recently fumbled a reload where the top round stripped off and went into the mag well. The mag would not seat of course but it took me some time to get things sorted out.

I had a new STI that stopped when I adjusted the sights. The elevation screw was too long and locked the firing pin down. After the first shot the firing pin stop fell out.

David C

Just this last Sunday I was shooting a steel match, about two stages into it my CZ decides to go full auto. I stop shooting and I get out the spare CZ to finish the match. That one ran fine the rest of the match. We then went to the second steel match scheduled that day and it starts to have a trigger reset problem on stage one.

The triggerbar spring decided it would rather sit up high between the triggerbar and the magazine rather than underneith the triggerbar where it was designed to be. I took that gun half apart, got it to stay down a little better and finished the match.

I get home, take the two problematic CZ's apart to figure out what's going wrong and I notice the fixed rear sight on the #2 gun is about half a magazine away from being a two-piece rear sight, it was cracked 90% through and the rear of it was sitting 1/8" too high. I just replaced the rear sight on the #1 CZ a couple months ago because it broke the exact same way.

The #1 CZ went FA because it broke the hammer pivot pin and became a semi free-floating hammer that could jump out from under the sear when the slide slammed home.

I know that not any one of these problems was all that unusual, but having three different problems on one day spread out between two pistols that normally run like champs; that was weird.

That is strange.

I had a Todd Jarret malfunction. I was shooting a steel match. In this stage we were shooting through a sonotube and empty shell bounced off the wall of the tube and back into the chamber. It looked pretty strange to me.

I had that happen to me early last year....Had a malfunction...clear the thing after I finish the RO told me saw the casing bounce on the wall and back in the chamber....the wall was made that corregated plastic.....

During another match last year with 8 feet high 10 inches wide port....a brass bounce from the opening into my golf shirt.....keep firing but after a couple more rounds but I had to stop to quickly to remove the round from my neck/collar bone area....shooting 9mm Major the casing are very hot :o now on small opening I'm buttoning up my golf shirt.....had a scar for quite a while :D

Here is one for the revo guys,

I love doing a reload and as I come up with my moon clip I notice the cylinder is in the sand. :o

I'm afraid I've done that one as well. I've also had a firing pin stick in the FP channel (could it have been dirt???) so that the FP stop dropped out and then the FP hit me dead center in the chest. No harm but I did go clean my top end.

I've had my guide rod race my bullet down range after it came unscrewed and on my post-ban AR the comp that is held on by allen screws will ride with a bullet a long ways down range when it comes loose. My son said, "Dad, is that supposed to be down there????"

Properly applied drops of blue Loctite have prevented most of them from re-occuring.

dj

I was RO'ing a friend several years ago that was shooting a JP rifle (no brass deflector) and he put 2 quick rounds on a close target. Both pieces of brass stuck to my chest in the V of the polo shirt I was wearing. So I'm trying to get the brass off my chest and keep up with the shooter (field course) and they both get caught at my stomach due to a tucked in shirt. I had multiple burns (AR15 brass is HOT) and everyone thought my "hot brass in shirt while RO'ing" dance was very funny. Next stage. I'm smarter about JP rifles now so I have my left hand holding my colar closed and right hand is holding timer up in the air. He shoots a close target and puts 2 pieces of brass right down my shirt sleeve. Of course, My shirt is still tucked in so the brass gets stuck in my waist line again and I now look like somebody that has just rolled around in a pile of hot .223 brass without a shirt on. Again, the bystanders thought they could have won money on Americas Funniest Home Videos if they had filmed it.

I NEVER hold a timer up in the air anymore and I hate RO'ing a person shooting a JP rifle. I do love my JP though.

I was RO'ing a friend several years ago that was shooting a JP rifle (no brass deflector) and he put 2 quick rounds on a close target. Both pieces of brass stuck to my chest in the V of the polo shirt I was wearing. So I'm trying to get the brass off my chest and keep up with the shooter (field course) and they both get caught at my stomach due to a tucked in shirt. I had multiple burns (AR15 brass is HOT) and everyone thought my "hot brass in shirt while RO'ing" dance was very funny. Next stage. I'm smarter about JP rifles now so I have my left hand holding my colar closed and right hand is holding timer up in the air. He shoots a close target and puts 2 pieces of brass right down my shirt sleeve. Of course, My shirt is still tucked in so the brass gets stuck in my waist line again and I now look like somebody that has just rolled around in a pile of hot .223 brass without a shirt on. Again, the bystanders thought they could have won money on Americas Funniest Home Videos if they had filmed it.

I NEVER hold a timer up in the air anymore and I hate RO'ing a person shooting a JP rifle. I do love my JP though.

My wife as a new shooter doing her first HOT-BRASS dance

hot%20brass.wmv]Hot-Brass

• 2 weeks later...

While I was at the OSI federal Law Enforcement Academy, we were qualifying with the M-9 (Beretta 92f) and the report from the guy next to me sounded funny. I looked over and the front half of the slide and barrel were missing on his gun and the rear half of the slide was locked strangly to the rear of the receiver. We found the front half and the barrel about 10 feet down range.

This was with sub-sonic 124gr 9mm luger ammo. Needless to say, it affected my opinion of my duty weapon at the time. Thank god we switched to the Sig P228.

• 4 weeks later...
While I was at the OSI federal Law Enforcement Academy, we were qualifying with the M-9 (Beretta 92f) and the report from the guy next to me sounded funny. I looked over and the front half of the slide and barrel were missing on his gun and the rear half of the slide was locked strangly to the rear of the receiver. We found the front half and the barrel about 10 feet down range.

As a 20+ year vet of the USAF, I was fully involved when the M-9 came on line and replaced the M-15 revolver for standard sidearm qualification. I saw several similar malfunctions. The best was a young Capt. I was shooting with one day. He was a catty-corner shooter - Right Handed, but Left Eye dominant. His stance was kinda' crooked with his head cocked down and to the right. It seemed to work for him....good thing too. When the slide of the M-9 decided to depart the from the rest of the weapon, it missed his eye socket by just the amount of space he tilted his head down to line up his left eye.

Never liked that weapon, and never will like that weapon, despite the fact that I've spent some quality family time over the years wearing one.

Here is one for the revo guys,

I love doing a reload and as I come up with my moon clip I notice the cylinder is in the sand. :o

while shooting my first season of uspsa revolver major

not realizing the forces that be at 170,000 power

I was on a field corse 22 or 24 rounds with my 610

did almost the cylinder in sand

as I opened and dumped then came up with the moon clip

my reload pushed the crane and cylinder into my hand

crain screw was gone reassembled the gun then shot my last 2 rounds

Thank goodness there is thread locker

DON"T LEAVE HOME WITHOUT IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Gary

Year before Last or maybe last Year at area 4 a guys slide broke in half and the Rear part hits hime in the chin. He droped what was left of the gun and started clutching his chin. It was pretty bad from what i heard. I belive it was the guy that makes the Texas Start But not 100%