Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

550 Casefeeder Works Great

The BBT came this morning and delivered my 550 casefeeder. Took 60-70 minutes to set it all up right but it is working now. Speeds up reloading process dramatically, very happy with it. Will be doing 38 Super, 357 Sig, 40, and 45 with it.

Dillon did it right with this one! :D

7914550_Casefeeder.jpg

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The BBT came this morning and delivered my 550 casefeeder. Took 60-70 minutes to set it all up right but it is working now. Speeds up reloading process dramatically, very happy with it. Will be doing 38 Super, 357 Sig, 40, and 45 with it.

7914550_Casefeeder.jpg

great-now that someone actually has their hands on one, would you mind explaining how it works and your thoughts about it's usage?

Far from an expert as I have only made 40-50 rounds so far.......wanted to get photo up for everyone.

Basically, with casefeeder switched on it feeds the casings (base down) from the hopper into the upper feed tube. They pass through a switch that turns the rotating shellplate on and off so that it keeps a steady supply of empties in the feed tube at all times.

There is a roller mechanism that operates the plunger on the feeding assembly. Each case drops into place (through your conversion kit) and then is "shoved" into the first station of your shellplate. Each stroke feeds a new one into place.

Take a LOT of time to read manual carefully and understand how things fit together. Directions in manual are very good, just take your time setting it up.

Way to go Dillon :D

Thanks for posting the info. I'd be curious to see pics of the area where it pushes cases onto the shellplate.

Also curious if you can give an approximation of how much it has sped up reloading for pistol cases on your 550.

rtr,

Before the casefeeder I would do about 500 rounds per hour on the 550. Today I ran off 200 rounds in just about 8 minutes so it would be approximately 900 rounds per hour. Almost double the speed.

Ok .. now I'm really tempted but I have this fear that one day I'm going to load a case that has crud in it and I'll blow myself up from the overpressure. I have seen a number of cases that had hardened sand or cleaning media and had the deprimer punch a hole through leaving the rest of the crud in the case. How do you guys deal with that problem now that you dont get to handle each case?

Personally, what I do is inspect each case after it has been tumbled and cleaned with brass cleaner. After drying I go through each and every one looking for cracks, deformities, anything strange etc. Any "crud" is seen at that time and the case discarded.

Ok .. now I'm really tempted but I have this fear that one day I'm going to load a case that has crud in it and I'll blow myself up from the overpressure. I have seen a number of cases that had hardened sand or cleaning media and had the deprimer punch a hole through leaving the rest of the crud in the case. How do you guys deal with that problem now that you dont get to handle each case?

That's my one worry, too.

I do a quick check when I pick up the next case to make sure there is nothing stuck inside and that the case is not split.

Is the set up like the 650? Does it drop the case onto a guide surface and then get fed in on the downward stroke before the primer is seated? I had a 650 and liked the case feeder, except for every once in awhile a case would get fed in upside down and jam the machine. Funny thing though is I still used my 550 more often so I sold the 650. But, this case feeder kind of peaks my interest.

Jay

Is the set up like the 650? Does it drop the case onto a guide surface and then get fed in on the downward stroke before the primer is seated?

Yes, case falls into a slotted adapter (comes with each conversion kit) then is pushed forward as you pull handle. Plunger then retracts as casing moves upward into sizing/decapping die. All you have to do is spin shellplate and seat a bullet in station 3 with left hand and keep pulling the handle with your right hand. No more reaching for casings and feeding them onto shellplate.

:)

rtr,

Before the casefeeder I would do about 500 rounds per hour on the 550. Today I ran off 200 rounds in just about 8 minutes so it would be approximately 900 rounds per hour. Almost double the speed.

nhglyn,

After you spend some more time with it - I'd be interested to know an "actual rounds loaded/hour" (after the casefeeder) number. More of an average... like your "500 rounds per hour" before casefeeder figure.

Thanks,

be

I have a 650 so I haven't been too excited about the casefeeder for the 550. However, I've been using my 550 more so I'm starting to get excited about the casefeeder for the 550. I would love to see a video.

I'm probably going to end up getting one.

If I get a short movie of the casefeeder operating this afternoon, how do I post it so everyone can see it? Is there a size limitation? Will do the best I can to post something for those who are interested.

If I get a short movie of the casefeeder operating this afternoon, how do I post it so everyone can see it? Is there a size limitation? Will do the best I can to post something for those who are interested.

I'm just guessing, but maybe find a host site and post the link here.

Bronson7

I removed non-working link.

I couldn't find a 550 / Casefeeder video on youtube to re-link to.

If anyone can find a link or has a video I could link, please email me the link, and, the link to this thread.

Thanks,

be

Edited by benos
removed bad link

My casefeeder came in yesterday afternoon. I installed it last nite but had problems gettin it to insert the cases correctly (bounce back ). I was pretty tired so I just walked away and went to bed. Got up this morning had coffee and decided to go look at it again shazam found the problem in like two seconds readjusted and it now works like a champ. Take your time and read the directions and don't try installing it when you have been at the range all day setting up a match. This thing rocks.

Works great.

Directions were clear and parts fit perfectly- ~1 hr set up.

With primer tubes filled in advance I Ran 900 rd Ni Plated 38 Special in 1 hr - no failures to feed or misalignments.

Great Job Dillon -

Craig

7914550_Casefeeder.jpg

great-now that someone actually has their hands on one, would you mind explaining how it works and your thoughts about it's usage?

Nice set up! :wub: I just purchased the 550. I haven’t even set it up yet and I’m eyeing one of these already. There goes the bank account! :wacko: