Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

550 Casefeeder Works Great

Hi everyone. I've been lurking on this thread for a while and as you can see this is my first post.

My casefeeder has been set up for almost a week & it works great. I followed the setup instructions as well as the tips here concerning cam adjustments, and I've had no problems other than spent primers missing the target. A little bending/twisting of the 'catcher' assembly fixed that problem. I cut a piece of plastic for the 9mm flipping issue and installed it during the initial setup and have not had any problems there either. This is one slick piece of equipment. Cudos to Dillon.

If anyone is still uncertain about buying one of these things - mine is another vote for it. I currently only load 9mm & plan on 40S&W in the near future, so any cal change will be easy. All my rfle is reloaded on my RC.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My casefeeder came in yesterday afternoon. I installed it last nite but had problems gettin it to insert the cases correctly (bounce back ). I was pretty tired so I just walked away and went to bed. Got up this morning had coffee and decided to go look at it again shazam found the problem in like two seconds readjusted and it now works like a champ. Take your time and read the directions and don't try installing it when you have been at the range all day setting up a match. This thing rocks.

Exactly what did you do to cure bounce back? I have been tinkering with mine but have not gotten it 100%

I just past my 5,000 rd trouble free mark.

The trick to catching spent primers for me was making sure the catcher was centered in the x & y directions. I must have bent it outward/away from the main shaft when I installed the casefeeder. Once I figured that out I pushed it back, added a little 30W oil to the right places, made a simple shute to send the loaded rounds to a 1 gallon bucket and adjusted the cam as described. It's been running great - Thanks Dillon.

Craig

I'll try tonight.

All I did was take a piece of Al flashing about 8" long and 3" wide, bent (2) 90o corners in it length wise to a square C-shape that fit snuggly inside of the factory shute. Then I duct taped the sharp ends/corners and pressed it into to the factory shute. The operating handle hits the forward side of it when I seat the primers, but the flashing is flexible enough to take it and not wiggle out of the pressed fit. I guess I could cut it down so it doesn't hit the handle but it's not a big deal as it is. I can get my 1 gal buckets under it without disturbing it.

Edited by Bones

All of the aluminum reducer sleeves for the 550 case feeder have been mailed out. If you ordered your 550 case feeder through a dealer (such as Brian Enos), please contact us at Dillon directly to get one of the sleeves. Otherwise, you should receive them as fast as the post office can deliver them. :ph34r:

I have been using the new case feeder on my 550b. I am real happy. I have been loading 9mm, 38sp, 38super. I am experiencing one problem. Maybe someone can help.

When I am loading the 9mm, the cases get jammed sideways in the clear tube, just above the micro switch. They turn sideways in the clear tube where it tapers down. It is a random occurrence. Maybe every 20th case.

Has anybody else run into this? Any solutions out there?

Brian

All of the aluminum reducer sleeves for the 550 case feeder have been mailed out. If you ordered your 550 case feeder through a dealer (such as Brian Enos), please contact us at Dillon directly to get one of the sleeves. Otherwise, you should receive them as fast as the post office can deliver them. :ph34r:

Got mine today, thanks!

Thanks Gary. All my 550 Casefeed sales have been for 40 and 45 to date. If any of those order a 9mm conversion later, I'll have Lee include the sleeve.

be

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

My 550 is also used to load 45AutoRim and I don't find it on the caliber conversion for the case feeder; So the question is, how difficult is it to use the 550 with manually inserting the cases again. Do I have to tear down the casefeeder again or mess up with the adjustments?

We just developed a conversion for 45AR for the 550 casefeeder. Stock #19140. Order it by phone, as it too new to be listed anywhere yet. I belive there is a post out there somewhere about what needs to be removed to manually feed in rifle cases, but you pull the right front frame bolt and pivot the actuating cam off to the right. Then pull off the feed tube and put it up in the casefeed bowl, out of the way. At this point you can either hold the case feed plunger back with a wire and put cases into the shellplate in front of it,

or unbolt the platform and remove the plunger housing. :ph34r:

• 3 months later...

I installed my casefeeder today, the problem I’m having is a few cases not going into the sizing die, and virtually all cases not lining up with the primer so when I try to prime it jams. It appears the plunger is pushing the case too far in (ie pushing it into the shellplate and then tilting it inward some, I think this extra push bounces the shell back out just a touch on the downstroke which is what causes the priming problem. I saw the post that described an adjustment method:

“How I set Trish's cam was to barely loosen the cam mounting bolts;they should still be very snug;then use a large flat blade screwdriver as a lever to gently push the cam towards the plunger. Have a case in the shellplate when you do this, and hold the handle in a position to allow the plunger roller bolt to be in the center of the cam.Set the cam so that it barely touches the roller, and snug the mounting bolts.”

I tried this using the screwdriver to lever off the press itself at the top of the cam, although it feels like I’m just trying to bend the cam in relationship to the long skinny plate that mounts it on the press. Bottom line is I can’t get it adjusted out enough to keep the plunger from pushing the shell too far into the shell plate. Ideas? Thanks much.

I tried this using the screwdriver to lever off the press itself at the top of the cam, although it feels like I’m just trying to bend the cam in relationship to the long skinny plate that mounts it on the press. Bottom line is I can’t get it adjusted out enough to keep the plunger from pushing the shell too far into the shell plate. Ideas? Thanks much.

You may have put some bend in the cam. Straighten it out first, then try levering off the bottom of the cam, right next to the bolt. If this doesn't help, your welcome to come by Parker and take a look at mine. Kinda snowy this morning though.

It will take a while, but you're going to love it.

• 2 years later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 1 year later...