Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Garand Thumb - Is Your Pistol Drop Safe?

That didn't make sense, the 2011's I would think go off from FP inertia because they are series 70 and don't have a FP block but they didn't with safety on but the safety only blocks the sear.

One point three million views a moment ago, four million subscribers, sponsored video.  I think he doesn't have to worry about the price of a $5K gun.  That video has already earned enough money+sponsorship to replace every one of the guns they dropped....twice.

Nolan

ps, I have to admit, I did like the intro!  "You shot me in the....."

Edited by Nolan

40 minutes ago, Nolan said:

One point three million views a moment ago, four million subscribers, sponsored video.  I think he doesn't have to worry about the price of a $5K gun.  That video has already earned enough money+sponsorship to replace every one of the guns they dropped....twice.

Nolan

ps, I have to admit, I did like the intro!  "You shot me in the....."

Yep, exactly.  With revenue from Youtube, plus all of the sponsors he's making plenty on the video.  And I agree, while some of the intros have been lacking lately, this one was pretty funny.

4 hours ago, sharko said:

That didn't make sense, the 2011's I would think go off from FP inertia because they are series 70 and don't have a FP block but they didn't with safety on but the safety only blocks the sear.

👌

sorry, but dropping a $5K+ pistol on a cement floor is stupid.  this test is dumb...

To do such a thing to guns and no matter the price it goes against the education of gun culture.

Edited by yigal

59 minutes ago, yigal said:

👌

sorry, but dropping a $5K+ pistol on a cement floor is stupid.  this test is dumb...

To do such a thing to guns and no matter the price it goes against the education of gun culture.

The state of California and Massachusetts do the same thing as well as a bunch of other dumb things in the name of "Safety".  Although I suspect they do it with a lot more hysterical giggling than Garand Thumb.

If you think that video was bad, watch this test of the Cybertruck vs Ford F150

Of course the guberment also does safety testing of vehicles, but with less hysterical laughter.

Nolan

The next test needs to be "what happens to a bullet when you shoot it point-blank into concrete?"  because IME the answer is way less spectacular than you'd think.

Calling "Ballistic High-Speed" and/or "Slow Mo Guys", we have a video suggestion for you!

Ballistic High-Speed shot cement blocks, but I don't remember anyone shooting solid concrete.  Probably because it's pretty boring.

Nolan

Edited to delete video link.  Search for "How Bullet-proof are concrete blocks" if you want to watch the video.  Warning has simulated human torso in video.

Edited by Nolan

Long ago, someone I know  put a 10mm JHP into the floor from a couple inches out.  Carpet over concrete.  Concrete barely scarred, bullet splattered and vanished.  Tiny burn mark on carpet, that was it.  

19 hours ago, Racinready300ex said:

I've always kind of imagined in the unlikely even a 1911 is dropped perfectly down on the muzzle and it went off it probably wouldn't be much of a spectacle. 

Maybe if you're lucky.  I've seen some pretty serious injuries from ricochets.  And I've seen 12 gage 00 ricochet off a basement floor and take out a 4 pvc drain pipe.

32 minutes ago, ltdmstr said:

Maybe if you're lucky.  I've seen some pretty serious injuries from ricochets.  And I've seen 12 gage 00 ricochet off a basement floor and take out a 4 pvc drain pipe.

I've yet to see what a 9mm does, but I think it'd be a lot different then what buckshot out of a shotgun does. And likely much less damage then the shadow that went off after being dropped on it's hammer up in NY a few years back. 

It's not enough for me to stop shooting 2011's because if I happen to drop it and it happens to land exactly muzzle down on a concrete floor it could go off and might have the power to take out a PVC pipe. Just drawing from the holster has a much higher risk of injury and we do that all the time. 

40 minutes ago, ltdmstr said:

Maybe if you're lucky.  I've seen some pretty serious injuries from ricochets. 

Yes, at an angle, and at an angle the gun will not go off.

Gun needs to drop near 90 degrees to the floor otherwise the firing pin will not have enough inertia and at 90 degree you are not going to see ricochets. Fragments, spalling yes.

1 minute ago, xrayfk05 said:

Yes, at an angle, and at an angle the gun will not go off.

Gun needs to drop near 90 degrees to the floor otherwise the firing pin will not have enough inertia and at 90 degree you are not going to see ricochets. Fragments, spalling yes.

Not sure that's true for a 1911/2011 with an XL firing pin that sits about .050"from the primer. If you drop a long dust cover 2011 on a decent angle I think the chances of it going bang are pretty good.  And what happens to the bullet and the potential for injury depends on a lot of things.  Am I worried about it?  No.  Is there potential for injury?  Yes.