Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Beginner’s Setup for Reloading

So I have my first “race gun” on the way, a STI DVC Steel. It is setup to run factory minor loads but with a heavier spring can run major also. The plan is to shoot some steel matches this year and I like to get into Reloading. Just started looking up all the information that’s out there. What’s a good setup for reloading 9mm and maybe some .223 later on. Don’t see myself loading more than 1k - 2k rounds a month. Not just looking to save money on ammo, mainly as a hobby & load development. What manufacturers & model’s should I be looking at and any good instructional DVD’s out there? Recommendations appreciated.

I don’t shoot matches but my stacatto loves accurate #5 with a 115 sierra/montana gold bullet. Soft and accurate bout 1050 to 1100 fps.

allthough it likes a lot of other stuff to.

As far as videos check out utube there plenty there. 
loading 9mm is sooooo much fun.

Edited by chopps
Forgot

15 minutes ago, chopps said:

I don’t shoot matches but my stacatto loves accurate #5 with a 115 sierra/montana gold bullet. Soft and accurate bout 1050 to 1100 fps.

allthough it likes a lot of other stuff to.

As far as videos check out utube there plenty there. 
loading 9mm is sooooo much fun.

Pretty sure I’d like to go with a Dillon, I’m just not sure what model

10 minutes ago, ALL_comped_EVERYTHING said:

Pretty sure I’d like to go with a Dillon, I’m just not sure what model

If you're wanting to be able to switch calibers the Dillon 550C is the one I would recommend. The square Deal is a good press but more work to change calibers. The bigger machines are quite a bit more expensive and at the rate you say you would be reloading not really worth the expense. My best friend has a Dillon 650 and he hates changing calibers on it. He leaves it set up for his 38 Super Comp ammo and bought a 550 for everything else.

Edited by 392heminut

7 minutes ago, 392heminut said:

If you're wanting to be able to switch calibers the Dillon 550C is the one I would recommend. The square Deal is a good press but more work to change calibers. The bigger machines are quite a bit more expensive and at the rate you say you would be reloading not really worth the expense. My best friend has a Dillon 650 and he hates changing calibers on it. He leaves it set up for his 38 Super Comp ammo and bought a 550 for everything else.

And a square deal will not do 223.

I agree with the 550, though you are talking about doing quite a few rounds a month, just depend on how much time you want to spend behind the press

Dillon 750.  Go right to an autoindexing press. It’s much safer and faster.  Don't buy a single stage press, ever, and only buy a 550 if you can’t afford a 750.

First on 1050/1100. Buy once, cry once. And it comes with a swaging station for 223, as well as enough space for 1500 trimmer. 

it's not just how many rounds a month, it's also about how long it takes to do whatever number of rounds you do.

More stations allow you to do tasks in separate stations, easier to do QC and more options for running dies in the order you prefer. 

For example, separate seating and crimping on 9mm allows you to use a micrometer seating die and have preset OAL dial position for different bullets (or just different OAL) for quick bullet change. 

Then you have priming on the down-stroke and very robust primer depth setting. 

And you can swage, size, trim and neck-expand rifle brass in one pass, then load in the next. 

Dillon seems to be the brand to choose for support and longevity.  A 750 would absolutely work, but I have a different take having started on a 650(same as 750, different priming system) before going to a 1050.  I still have my 650, but use it for things like .40 S&W, or loading already processed .223.  It's an excellent press, just has it's limitations.

You are looking to load 9mm and possibly .223 later, both rounds that you're going to come across crimped brass with.  With no way to deal with that on the 750, you're more likely to get the occasional high/hard to seat primer.  Additionally, the extra stations come in pretty handy to take care of extra tasks.

8 hours ago, IVC said:

First on 1050/1100. Buy once, cry once. And it comes with a swaging station for 223, as well as enough space for 1500 trimmer. 

it's not just how many rounds a month, it's also about how long it takes to do whatever number of rounds you do.

Some 9mm brass need some swaging. I think military/contract ammo crimp the ammo. Kinda unnecessary for them to do it. Unless there is a real reason.

I will second on the "at least a 650, preferably a 1050" camp.  You can add the bulletfeeder to either press and really crank out some rounds quickly.

As far as instructional materials, the "Competition Reloading" video, starring our own host Brian Enos, is great, but also very basic.  It's available via Amazon.

YouTube is your friend also, with channels like "UltimateReloader", et. al.

15 hours ago, ALL_comped_EVERYTHING said:

So I have my first “race gun” on the way, a STI DVC Steel.

Since you have your first "race gun" and 1-2K a month are not a small numbers, you need to pass by the lesser stuff like LEE and go straight to progressive presses like Dillon and Mark 7. At minimum a starting point is a 750, however with 223 in mind it will not satisfactorily swage the primer pockets. This leads you to the 1100 or comparable Mark 7. I would avoid the Frankford X-10, not because it isn't a good press, rather because support has been reported as not very good. You will need parts in the future and both Dillon and Mark 7 have great support.

Welcome to the joys of reloading.

BTW Hornady makes great stuff, but the consensus is Dillon or Mark 7 for progressive presses.

If you know or have an idea of what powders and primers you’ll need I suggest you buy them now and stock up even if you don’t have the press yet. That goes for loaded ammo too. 

Edited by Farmer

I'll add another consideration. When pricing presses, remember that 1050/1100 come with case feeder and 650/750 don't. To get a good comparison, configure both presses to what you would actually order and then compare "as configured." You'll suddenly see that the price is not nearly as different as you'd initially guess.

I was thinking of getting a 650 (at the time, before 750) to use it in parallel with the 1050, but when I configured it the way I would use it, the price advantage wasn't big enough to justify it. 

Since you are shooting through a comp, you want to use Heavy Plated or JHPs.  Otherwise you will lead up the comp.  They will run 10 cents each, or more.  Primers are 9 cents each now after tax, shipping and hazmat.  Powder will run you 2-3 cents for regular minor loads, of 6 cents if you want to work the comp.  Since you can buy suitable 9mm factory for 23 cents each, it doesn't pay to reload now if you don't already have the components at reasonable prices.

As far as presses go, you don't know what you don't know.  You don't know how much you are actually going to shoot.  How much time are you actually willing to spend reloading?  

I started with a Square Deal B.  It was much cheaper then.  I only loaded 45 ACP and was quite happy with it.  Then I started shooting USPSA Limited with 40sw.  So I bought a tool head and SDB dies and loaded 40.  Remove four screws, swap tool heads with dies and reinstall the four screws.  Easy.  

The I started shooting a whole lot more.  I was loading a lot of 9mm and 40sw, plus some 45.  I bought a Hornady AP LnL.  The bayonet system allows you to change calibers quickly with no setup except for adjusting the powder measure.  Or, changing primer punches if loading 45s.  I eventually bought a case feeder with plates for all three calibers, and bullet feeders for them.

I shoot so much 9mm now I don't have time to change the press over to another caliber.  I load 9 major, 9 minor, 132FP regular minor and 100 PF for PCC.   If I were buying presses now for my shooting, I'd start with an 1100 with bullet feeder for 9mm.   IMO, you need at least six stations to load 9mm properly.  Seven if you want a powder alarm.  I don't shoot much 40 and 45 anymore, so a SDB with two tool heads would be fine.

You have time.  Shoot factory for a couple of months so you see how you are doing, how much you actually shoot, and whether you want to keep it up.  Then decide on a press.  Reloading component prices are starting to drop.  Honestly, if someone had told me I was going to be loading 24,000+ of 9mm a year, I'd have gone straight to the 1050.  The 1100 wasn't a thing then.

I think i prefer loading on a 1050/1100 or a 650/750.  But I started on a 550 then added 650 then replaced 650 with 1100. But all along I held onto the 550. It is nice having a very fast to swap system that is capable of loading anything(essentially) at a low cost of caliber change. It is also very easy to learn on. The manual rotation of the shell plate makes it easy to control everything that happens. It is slower and more hands on but to start it will provide a solid start.

This is exactly my scenario, I only got into reloading because i have an open gun being built. I got a dillion 750 because i knew I'd want volume as soon as i figured everything out, a lot of cussing and whiskey later i was finally up and running. If I've learned anything, it's any sort of change, reconfirm everything. I started loading some 147s in 9 minor to play with and they are vastly different in seating than my 124s I was using

On 3/4/2024 at 10:11 PM, Dr Mitch said:

Dillon 750.  Go right to an autoindexing press. It’s much safer and faster.  Don't buy a single stage press, ever, and only buy a 550 if you can’t afford a 750.

I'm thinking of learning to fly, should I start on a 747?

4 hours ago, ysrracer said:

I'm thinking of learning to fly, should I start on a 747?

Yes, they claim it’s one of the easiest planes to fly! Just give me a heads up which direction you’re heading. 

Edited by Farmer

On 3/4/2024 at 7:11 PM, Dr Mitch said:

Don't buy a single stage press, ever, and only buy a 550 if you can’t afford a 750.

Let’s see you load magnum Rifle and 50 BMG on your 750. There’s many uses for single stage presses.