Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What smith to optimize the Springfield Prodigy?

7 hours ago, Dr Mitch said:

You don’t need a gunsmith to optimize a Prodigy.  All the parts drop in.

Really? While I agree that you shouldn't need a gunsmith I never heard of a 1911 with drop in parts. Is this supposed to be a feature of the prodigy?

3 minutes ago, MJinPA said:

Really? While I agree that you shouldn't need a gunsmith I never heard of a 1911 with drop in parts. Is this supposed to be a feature of the prodigy?

All guns are different even prodigy to prodigy. On mine there were a few parts that dropped in but some did not. 
  Just like some say a simple ignition kit dropped the trigger weight to under 3#. Mine barely dropped at all to around 4.5#

So mine will go to a gunsmith eventually if I like LO.

3 hours ago, MJinPA said:

Most modern 1911 style guns accept standardized small parts as drop in.  Thumb safeties and grip safeties always have to be fit.  The days of 1911s being poor quality manufactured goods requiring custom work for any modifications largely ended years ago when real machinists started building these guns and their respective parts.

4 minutes ago, Dr Mitch said:

Most modern 1911 style guns accept standardized small parts as drop in.  Thumb safeties and grip safeties always have to be fit.  The days of 1911s being poor quality manufactured goods requiring custom work for any modifications largely ended years ago when real machinists started building these guns and their respective parts.

I put an EGW fire control kit in my prodigy had to refit the stock thumb safety also had to fit Atlas trigger shoe and bow.

4 hours ago, Sarge said:

All guns are different even prodigy to prodigy. On mine there were a few parts that dropped in but some did not. 
  Just like some say a simple ignition kit dropped the trigger weight to under 3#. Mine barely dropped at all to around 4.5#

So mine will go to a gunsmith eventually if I like LO.

I put in the EGW kit and the tuned sear spring following this video and I have a nice 2# trigger.

27 minutes ago, dtuns said:

I put an EGW fire control kit in my prodigy had to refit the stock thumb safety also had to fit Atlas trigger shoe and bow.

The EGW sear won’t even fit in mine. Very tight and barely moves

37 minutes ago, Dr Mitch said:

Good point. 

On 2/21/2024 at 6:20 AM, MJinPA said:

Really? While I agree that you shouldn't need a gunsmith I never heard of a 1911 with drop in parts.

Some things do drop in.  For instance, if all the holes are in the correct positions, some well made ignition kits will drop in and be perfect.  That's exactly what happened on the last four Open builds.

3 hours ago, zzt said:

Some things do drop in.  For instance, if all the holes are in the correct positions, some well made ignition kits will drop in and be perfect.  That's exactly what happened on the last four Open builds.

On My prodigy EGW ignition parts dropped in but had to refit the stock thumb safety.

43 minutes ago, dtuns said:

On My prodigy EGW ignition parts dropped in but had to refit the stock thumb safety.

That's a good thing.  Much better than having to weld it up or peen it.  Now I'm curious to see whose sear they use.  I thought EGW's was the 'skinniest'.

On 2/21/2024 at 10:55 AM, Sarge said:

The EGW sear won’t even fit in mine. Very tight and barely moves

@Sarge I've used a bunch of EGW sears over the years and they have all been excellent made; but it's been a while since I purchased a recent one.

Wondering if you compared the one you received with any of the print specs to see if it was an out of spec sear or excessive build-up of Cerakote on the frame?

I'm seriously considering a Prodigy to "play with" but wondering if I'll need to have it stripped and refinished to get good interference with the fire control group? 

And I doubt sending it back to SA for excessive build-up of the coating would bode well with Warranty Department........

Thanks! ;) 

I have an STI hammer/sear/disconnector kit laying around and tried it in my Prodigy, and the sear was the same as Sarge's, too tight in the frame to pivot. Cerakote was too thick. I've used the EE trigger kits several times before, and like them. Dropped in. These guns are not hard to work on, but just need to know how to massage them.