Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Is Atlas worth the price difference over MPA?

P schütze

On 9/25/2023 at 9:56 AM, donnyglock said:

Ok. I still stand by what I said. These guns should run any length ammo and any decent mag. As a builder that’s just day one stuff. 

Are 40 guns the same way? I just remember for years people having to load their 40 long for 2011s, is that not a thing anymore? Or is it just nines that need not be loaded long?

I've always shot a plastic fantastic or a para frame gun in limited so I didn't have to worry with the long 40 cal loading, but it was always my understanding that 2011 guys had to load long. I've got a poverty tier 2011 now (prodigy), and if anything it seems to prefer ammo a touch short, but factory length works fine as well. 

Would be interested to hear your input, thanks

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, RJH said:

Are 40 guns the same way? I just remember for years people having to load their 40 long for 2011s, is that not a thing anymore? Or is it just nines that need not be loaded long?

I've always shot a plastic fantastic or a para frame gun in limited so I didn't have to worry with the long 40 cal loading, but it was always my understanding that 2011 guys had to load long. I've got a poverty tier 2011 now (prodigy), and if anything it seems to prefer ammo a touch short, but factory length works fine as well. 

I've got one 40 that likes long ammo, another that will run factory no problem, seems to just be a luck of the draw thing

On 9/24/2023 at 10:24 AM, P schütze said:

Was wondering if the Atlas Athena/Artemis is worth the price difference over the MPA DS9 Hybrid series? Unfortunately, IDPA is the prevailing game around my area, so I'd need it to be IDPA compliant for ESP and CO. Money isn't an issue, but if the MPA is as good, or almost as good as the Atlas, there is no reason to throw an extra few thousand away, IMO. 

Anyone with experience with either brand, please let me know your thoughts. 

So i think masterpiece sells an idpa legal variant but the DS9s I've handled are pretty damn good, I have no experience with an atlas but I've got a couple custom builds and think the masterpiece is right on par with it. My .02 cents, I wouldnt hesitate other than the price point, but you get what you pay for too.

On 9/24/2023 at 9:46 PM, ltdmstr said:

MPA have their issues, but at least the price is in line with what you get.  With Atlas, you're paying full custom gun price for a production gun.  Really, if you're going to spend that kind of money, there are far better options.  

This.......

On 9/25/2023 at 8:53 PM, HOGRIDER said:

IIRC, the Open and LO Comp pistols share the SS grips and magwells.  LOC Magwell uses a set screw tightened against the mainspring housing to complete installation; which also stops the rattle.

Magwell.png

Thanks! I’ll let him know next time I see him.

My MPA is fit really tight and shoots well. Haven't had any issues with it other than killing the holosun 507comp that I put on there to try out (but I just got a lemon hollasun)

Having shot Atlas, I wouldn't say it's worth the 3k premium. The Atlas grip is nice, but the MPA steel aggressive is just as good.

8 hours ago, BLUEPSTU said:

I have had 2 Atlases and got rid of them both. I now have 2 MPA's. I love them. Not going to bash any company but I have 2 close friends that have Atlases and they now have bought MPA's and they both love them.

I have owned a total of 4 AGW pistols.  I no longer own any only because I'm bad about selling/trading.  They were all very nice and shot well.  But, for the money, you can get other widebody pistols for far less money.  I've got 3 Staccatos right now and they are not holding me back.

6 hours ago, RangerTrace said:

I have owned a total of 4 AGW pistols.  I no longer own any only because I'm bad about selling/trading.  They were all very nice and shot well.  But, for the money, you can get other widebody pistols for far less money.  I've got 3 Staccatos right now and they are not holding me back.

I agree. The former and present guns I own are so close in comparison, that I can't justify the price difference.

On 9/26/2023 at 6:08 PM, RJH said:

I think the issue with needing to load long was probably mag related and these days it's pretty easy to get good ones. 

I'm currently loading 1.110 9mm in both of my home made 2011s. 

Edited by Racinready300ex

2 minutes ago, VeilAndrew said:

I was used to loading short for my Shadow 2 @ 1.08" with JHPs. MPA didn't like that very much, seems to like the same exact projectile at 1.12". Not a huge problem.

I also loaded PD 124 JHPs to 1.080" for the Shadow 2 Orange.  Kept the OAL for a Sig P320 MAXX.  Got the MPA LOC and decided to try that match load.  Reduced the powder charge just a bit; but worked perfectly and I'm over 1K rounds through it with this same OAL!

Bench rested example:

LOC Bench Test Final.png

10 minutes ago, HOGRIDER said:

I also loaded PD 124 JHPs to 1.080" for the Shadow 2 Orange. 

Yeah, there was definitely a point when I was learning to load for my Shadow that I just cranked the bullet seating die because the gun didn't seem to care how short I loaded them. I remember at one point I found some 1.03"s LOL

1 minute ago, VeilAndrew said:

Yeah, there was definitely a point when I was learning to load for my Shadow that I just cranked the bullet seating die because the gun didn't seem to care how short I loaded them. I remember at one point I found some 1.03"s LOL

I followed my standard procedure for the S2O of determining Max OAL and finalized at that length.

Just so happened the MAXX and LOC also yielded excellent accuracy and function at that length!

:)

I shoot the Atlas Athena and Artemis.  The grips are outstanding, and allow for a palm swell and ledge inserts.  The recoil is very low and does not cause tendonitis in my right hand.  The service staff are friendly and helpful.  Lastly the trigger pull rivals the CZ Checkmate (under one lb.)  These guns are very special and worth the money.

• 2 weeks later...

I own one Atlas and find the quality to be superb.  100% reliable function and a pleasure to shoot.

For future guns, such as if I decide I want to join in the Limited Optics reindeer games, I might very well go with a Prodigy and take care of the mag issues with aftermarket parts (recently listed in a different thread).

I’ve had great experiences with mid range guns that needed only ergonomic changes to satisfy me, and which proved rock solid through many matches and lots of practice shooting.

I got the Atlas mostly because I wanted the experience of shooting a supposedly high end gun, partly out of curiosity to see if I’d find it worth the price.  And honestly I don’t mind the “Ooo, an Atlas huh” when people see it in my holster.  The gun has never let me down and it has cool features, but I’m comfortable exploring the mid to mid-high priced guns and getting them to work 100% if they don’t out of the box.

• 2 weeks later...

I've owned an MP9 for almost a year.  It's worked beautifully out of the box.  I still haven't cleaned it yet.  I took it to the range this past weekend and it still is probably one of the best shooting guns I have. For the money I don't think you can go wrong. 

7 hours ago, Douglee25 said:

I've owned an MP9 for almost a year.  It's worked beautifully out of the box.  I still haven't cleaned it yet.  I took it to the range this past weekend and it still is probably one of the best shooting guns I have. For the money I don't think you can go wrong. 

Why would you go a year without cleaning it?  Unless of course you have shot less than a couple K through it.  

1 hour ago, RangerTrace said:

Why would you go a year without cleaning it?  Unless of course you have shot less than a couple K through it.  

That's exactly why.  I probably only have 1k-1.5k through it and a dozen other guns I shoot in the rotation. It's been a great gun thus far. 

8 hours ago, Douglee25 said:

That's exactly why.  I probably only have 1k-1.5k through it and a dozen other guns I shoot in the rotation. It's been a great gun thus far. 

I've adopted AGW's clean/lube philosophy.  Clean every 2-3K.  Lube before every range session or match.  

I was at the range last week and the guy next to me noticed my Bul Armory SAS ll Open. He had an Atlas pistol and asked if we could try each others guns. That was the first time that I had fired an Atlas. The gun felt smooth and solid. It was very nice, but I would not be willing to pay the price of admission for the slight difference that I felt. He was pleased with the performance and feel of my Bul Armory, and VERY surprised with it's much lower cost; about half!

If money is no object, there are full custom pistols that I would choose before the Atlas offerings.