Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Revolver red dot

practical_man

On 9/10/2023 at 1:17 AM, JTWjr said:

I put a 507 comp on my 929. I had an rmr04 on it previously. 

The 507comp is so much nicer. 

I'll second that. My 507 comp (green dot) is great and uses the RMR footprint.

On 9/20/2023 at 2:19 PM, gargoil66 said:

That would be great!

I am not tied to any brand and if something is better than what I am using, that's where I will head.

GG

The Alpha 3 did great when backlit yesterday. When I lined it up so that it was in the shadow of my head, then turned so it was just outside that shadow, the window didn't light up red or anything. I could see some reflection on my side of the glass, but there was just one dot, and it was easy to see on appropriate brightness for the conditions.

9 hours ago, Fishbreath said:

The Alpha 3 did great when backlit yesterday. When I lined it up so that it was in the shadow of my head, then turned so it was just outside that shadow, the window didn't light up red or anything. I could see some reflection on my side of the glass, but there was just one dot, and it was easy to see on appropriate brightness for the conditions.

FB:

Thankyou! 

It goes into my decision making and I appreciate your taking the few minutes to run that experiment.

GG

my 627 has factory grips and an FTP on an alchin mount. My 617 has altamount's and a Venom on a LPA..
Was doing weak hand only plates, and was having alot of issues finding the dot with the 617/ venom, vs the 627 with the FTP.. dunno if its the grips or the taller optic.. Probably the taller optic.
That being said this 627 is not growing on me, I think I want to try thinner grips or something any suggestions ? 
My 686 feels like a perfect fit, this N frame just feels clunky to me. May end up selling it and just shooting my 7 shot,, 686
To date I think I have seen 1 icore stage the 7 shot would be at a disadvantage

I'm not particularly fond of rubber grips, always ran wood big butt grips on my K frame M14, but man were they thick. Snagged a nice 627 a while back just to see how it felt to run with the 8 shooters. Ordered a set of the no finger groove rubber big butt grips just for grins. Man do I like them. Very slim compared to the K frame wood grips I had on the M14.

Liked them so much ordered a set for my K frame revolver, only issue was, they come only with finger groove pattern. Issue solved with a dremel tool. They now mirror the feel of what I have on the 627.

Was surprised they don't have that tacky feel of other style rubber grips I've tried in the past. If my hands get sweaty in summer time, a little corn starch on the hand and grips and I'm good to go. 

5 hours ago, Joe4d said:

See what you can get from Hogue for a set of N frame grips that match your 686. Lots of options to make them narrow like a K/L frame. 

More is always an advantage when we are talking about capacity as low as revolvers have. I’m not sure where you usually shoot, but I’ve never seen a match where the 8 didn’t have an advantage over a 7. 

8 hours ago, Joe4d said:

my 627 has factory grips and an FTP on an alchin mount. My 617 has altamount's and a Venom on a LPA..
Was doing weak hand only plates, and was having alot of issues finding the dot with the 617/ venom, vs the 627 with the FTP.. dunno if its the grips or the taller optic.. Probably the taller optic.
That being said this 627 is not growing on me, I think I want to try thinner grips or something any suggestions ? 
My 686 feels like a perfect fit, this N frame just feels clunky to me. May end up selling it and just shooting my 7 shot,, 686

Agreed the majority of ICORE stages here in the Midwest are 6 shot friendly.  But the 7th or 8th make up shot can be helpful, or on steel.

Edited by pskys2

10 hours ago, ysrracer said:

On the EGW mount, what goes in the front hole in the top strap? Just a blind screw to keep the crap out?

Pictures show an allen set screw with the sight. 

On 9/24/2023 at 7:35 PM, pskys2 said:

Agreed the majority of ICORE stages here in the Midwest are 6 shot friendly.  But the 7th or 8th make up shot can be helpful, or on steel.

well I figure if you are missing alot you probably are doing bad anyways. I will keep playing with the 627 maybe it will grow on me, try some thinner grips or something. If not might look for a 6 shot K or L and shoot classic. 

15 minutes ago, Squirrel45 said:

I just put a set screw in mine. If you don't it'll soot the glass up. 

Thanks, that's what I thought.

I'm only 65 years old, ICORE Super Senior, ATA Trap Sub Jr, but thought I'd try an optic.