Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Revolver red dot

practical_man

BLUF: who makes a mini red dot sight with large dot (4 or 6 MOA) suitable for revolver. 

Details. Considering replacing my Holosun 2 MOA dot with a larger dot. Would like something easier to pick up when brightness isn’t maxed out. 

looking for input from folks who’ve tried large and small dots. Advantages and disadvantages. 

Dot would go a 627. 

thanks

john

I have an FTP 6moa  on my 4" 627 with an alchin mount.
On my 617 4" I am using an LPA rear sight with a Venom 6 moa.. 

Not a dot guy but just getting into revolver ICORE and steel challenge. Seems most folks have been saying they like 6 moa.

FYI,,, no relation, but there is a good deal on a Venom 6 in the classifieds.

C-More RTS.  I have two at six minutes and one at eight.  They are super good dot sights but are not durable.  The shield protecting the lens can not take a hit like it is designed for and have cracked two lenses when something hit the metal shield and cracked the lens.  Found the dots to be less bright than the Vortex but the screen is bigger and it is easier to pick up the dot.  Put a shield on that actually protects the lens and they would be the way to go.

C-More Railway with numerous sizes up to 12 minutes I believe.   They are built like tanks and have every practical dot size you would want.  Interchangeable dots too.  I find the dots to lack sharpness and they are a SWAG to zero because they do not have tactile or audible adjustments.  One of mine was a vampire and would drain a battery in two days.  One the battery wouldn't fit.  My third one has click adjustments for brightness and is a real champ.

Vortex Razor:  Biggest dot size is six minutes which is OK.  I found the dots to be significantly brighter and sharper than the C Mores.  The screen appears to be smaller in my eyes and I think its because the Razor screen is not round.  Plenty wide but not as high as the C More.  Had the glass chip in one and sent it back.  Got a new one in two weeks.  No questions asked.  

There is a reason the Venom is being sold.  So the seller can buy something with more clarity and a bigger screen.  Compare the two closely before buying.  

GG

Edited by gargoil66

6 MOA is the favorite, don't get the 8 MOA Triangle DPP it's not precise enough.

I have Vortex Venoms and a Viper, a JPoint, a DPP and an Athlon.

The Athlon is good and bright, don't know about durability and it's mounting screws don't work with anything but their adaptor (there is a way if you're interested talk to me at the next ICORE Match at DeSoto)

The DPP adjustments are a PITA and I don't like the triangle dot.

The JPoint has a plastic lens, I scratched mine up it's still usable but distracting.

The Viper is the lowest sitting but you have to remove the sight to change the battery, some don't like that.

The Venoms are my favorite all around.

Don't have any CMores, but a lot swear by them.

I can bring all for you to look at, the next MC ICORE Match is September 24, I'll be at the range on the 23rd setting up too.

11 hours ago, pskys2 said:

6 MOA is the favorite, don't get the 8 MOA Triangle DPP it's not precise enough.

I have Vortex Venoms and a Viper, a JPoint, a DPP and an Athlon.

The Athlon is good and bright, don't know about durability and it's mounting screws don't work with anything but their adaptor (there is a way if you're interested talk to me at the next ICORE Match at DeSoto)

The DPP adjustments are a PITA and I don't like the triangle dot.

The JPoint has a plastic lens, I scratched mine up it's still usable but distracting.

The Viper is the lowest sitting but you have to remove the sight to change the battery, some don't like that.

The Venoms are my favorite all around.

I can bring all for you to look at, the next MC ICORE Match is September 24, I'll be at the range on the 23rd setting up too.

PK:

Always seems the companies hit a 80% then have a feature or two that is so bad that it gobsmacks you.  

I don't need another dot sight although I now have two C Mores with chips out of the screens, but if I had to buy another one it would be another Razor.   Yes, there are others that are probably better but are also twice the cost.

GG

Many choices like the others have already pointed out. I run a 10moa RTS2 on 627 (egw mount) but going to an eight FTP Alpha.  Iv run up to a 16moa on some rifles while this is an adventure to some stages it can be a distraction on others. The full size railway is just to heavy and bulky for me anymore on a pistol. But I have a dozen of them on rifles for SC. Honestly probably on of the nicest is the trijicon SRO. However it's pricey and only available in a 2.5 and 5 I believe. In my opinion it's a bit small of a MOA for SC.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/9/2023 at 8:16 PM, pskys2 said:

Mike hasn't bothered to change, rich has told me a few times he'd prefer a cmore except for collecting x's.

Its hard to argue that there is anything wrong with a slide ride except battery life, and the plastic bodies do eventually fail around the adjuster screws, and they are a bit of a pain to zero, but once they are set, they hold zero perfectly fine.

2 hours ago, practical_man said:

I need to have a look at current CMORE options. Haven’t seen one in years.

The SRO is outside my budget but it looks attractive. 

I’ll have a better idea after visiting with Dave this weekend. 

You aren’t missing anything. Sometimes the RTS2 gets an update but I can’t tell the difference, and the slide ride has been around since about the time I was born. 

8 hours ago, Fishbreath said:

I ran an FTP Alpha 3 at the East Coast Regional, and also at USPSA CO Nationals, and liked it a lot. Big window, not tremendously expensive, and it has good reviews from a few USPSA Open guys I know.

FB:

How does it work with snow and brilliant sunshine?

My test of a dot sight is shooting over snow, bright sun, and the sun behind me.  Razor has been the brightest.  Can barely see the RTS dot and sometimes the glare reflecting off the lens causes big problems.  Have found the Railway series to be better than the RTS in these conditions but not as good as a Razor.

I have a Burris (I believe) that comes with a plastic shield you can put on in bad weather or super bright conditions.  Shading the screen goes a long way to picking up the dot and seeing it clearly.  Unfortulately, the sight sucks for what we do because I think the biggest dot is four minutes, the screen is way too small, and it is a Burris.  The cover is a good idea in my opinion.  The rest of the sight is pretty much useless.

I have a number of 'good idea' sights.  Maybe that is how one learns but it damn sure is an expensive way to learn.

GG

I have CMOREs (some of them can be fit with larger dot modules, probably not the mini dots), a 6min Viper and I just put a Sig Romeo 0 on a revolver. Same footprint as the J Points and Fastfire. Pretty reasonably priced and really nice dot. Sleep mode for inactivity and really user friendly.

Probably buying more of them!

3 hours ago, gargoil66 said:

How does it work with snow and brilliant sunshine?

I haven't shot it in the snow, and neither of my ranges have bays where the sun sets behind you, but shooting into a low-to-the-horizon sun, it works well. There's a bit of a ghost dot in that case, but the lowest brightness is 'slightly too bright for basement dry fire', and the highest brightness is much, much brighter than that, so it's obvious which is the ghost and which is the real dot.

It's supposed to be sunny for match setup tomorrow, so I'll bring the dot to the range—I can probably find a way to angle myself such that I'm looking through it with the sun over my shoulder.

2 hours ago, Fishbreath said:

I haven't shot it in the snow, and neither of my ranges have bays where the sun sets behind you, but shooting into a low-to-the-horizon sun, it works well. There's a bit of a ghost dot in that case, but the lowest brightness is 'slightly too bright for basement dry fire', and the highest brightness is much, much brighter than that, so it's obvious which is the ghost and which is the real dot.

It's supposed to be sunny for match setup tomorrow, so I'll bring the dot to the range—I can probably find a way to angle myself such that I'm looking through it with the sun over my shoulder.

That would be great!

I am not tied to any brand and if something is better than what I am using, that's where I will head.

GG

Lowest 90 degree mount for C-More slide ride aluminum sight. Brings the sight the closest to the bore than any other mount. Can also be used for the plastic slide ride also. You do not have to worry about shooting low when targets are close as you do with the sites that sit straight up. 
Now if C-More would make a slide ride with an interchangeable green dot. post-6853-0-95737600-1449702194_thumb.jpg
post-6853-0-25575300-1449702264_thumb.jpg