Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shadow 2 Compact

Stafford

1 hour ago, danwessondwx said:

I guess that sells me on my next idpa ccp gun. Thanks for the response gonna cost me 1400 bucks. Lol

Totally agree.  But i have a feeling that 1400 will not be enough.  Haha

Edited by 1911vm

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 8/25/2023 at 10:37 AM, Racinready300ex said:

If the intent of the half cock is to stop the gun from going off if you slip while lowering the hammer they don't work vary well. I've seen that happen a couple times with shadow 2's. 

Like crg says below, that's an issue only because of the USPSA rules. The half-cock position, according to CZ, is designed to prevent the gun from accidently firing when manually cocking the hammer to put it into SA, not when manually lowering the hammer to put it into DA.

On 8/26/2023 at 12:16 PM, crg said:

Isn't this more of a USPSA issue than a problem with the gun? USPSA requires the hammer to be fully down which requires shooters to keep the trigger depressed through the entire motion of lowering the hammer, rendering the half cock completely useless. It's hard to blame the half cock for ADs when the rules require it to be defeated.

Exactly. The half-cock position works just as CZ says it should.

51 minutes ago, eerw said:

I know a guy. 😉

You would young man 😆🤣😂 one of these is my next purchase.  Just don't wich goes first. Just from looking at them the grip seems nicer on the S2.  But for all I know it might be the very similar frames.

Edited by 1911vm

18 minutes ago, 1911vm said:

You would young man 😆🤣😂 one of these is my next purchase.  Just don't wich goes first. Just from looking at them the grip seems nicer on the S2.  But for all I know it might be the very similar frames.

I can tell you, I wish the texturing on the DWX was grippier. I'm know I'm going to prefer the checkering on the S2c

On 8/21/2023 at 10:49 AM, ClangClang said:

Yeah, as everyone else has said, a Shadow for carry is really a poor idea. Cool gun, but doesn't really make sense. I used to occasionally carry my Shadow until that poor RO got killed at a match last year from one being dropped and discharging when it hit the ground.

Was the S2 half-cocked when it dropped? 

On 8/28/2023 at 12:34 PM, 1911vm said:

would love to  put S2 compact side by side with DWX compact. 

Your request is granted. 

I found this on another forum. It's a great little tool for comparing most popular pistols side to side facing up, back to back, or facing in.

You can pick from several popular pistols and instantly see how they compare dimension wise. 

https://www.handgunhero.com/compare/dan-wesson-dwx-compact-vs-cz-shadow-2-compact

On 8/31/2023 at 7:22 PM, drdre352 said:

Was the S2 half-cocked when it dropped? 

Not sure. It was a while ago and I'm not sure whether it was ever mentioned. I would assume it was completely hammer down as that's the official condition needs to be in at Make Ready.

On 9/1/2023 at 5:14 PM, rlbuzz said:

Your request is granted. 

I found this on another forum. It's a great little tool for comparing most popular pistols side to side facing up, back to back, or facing in.

You can pick from several popular pistols and instantly see how they compare dimension wise. 

https://www.handgunhero.com/compare/dan-wesson-dwx-compact-vs-cz-shadow-2-compact

very interesting web site. making me even more confused which one I want.

3 hours ago, 1911vm said:

very interesting web site. making me even more confused which one I want.

I just picked up my Shadow2 compact yesterday, and making a decision between the two is a tough decision. It's something that only you can decide, but I'm attaching a few pictures and giving my first impressions for your consideration.

As far as the comparison, in the hand both are very similar. The DW is slightly slimmer and feels fantastic. The CZ fills the hand slightly better but also has that fantastic CZ feel. I keep going back and forth and while both are excellent, to me the CZ is slightly better IMO. Ask me again and I might just say the DW is better, it's just that close.  The CZ just fills the hand better and the grip is grippier, both the grips themselves as well as the front and rear backstrap especially. By comparison the DW feels slightly slippery, although I've not had any problems in that area.

In racking the slide, the CZ takes a bit more force to rack it while the DW can be racked with less force and feels much smoother. That may because the DW has about 250 rounds through it, while the CZ hasn't been fired yet. 

As with the frame, the serrations on the slide make the CZ easier to grip.  For me the mag release on the CZ is better and can be pushed without breaking my grip, while on the DW the release is more recessed and I have to break grip to activate it.  The safety on the DW wins because it is definitely easier to activate on or off, while the safety on the CZ is  so flat that it's harder to activate. The DW safety feels like a traditional 1911 safety with good, audible clicks when activating while the safety on the CZ is OK but a little less precise. I have had a problem a time or two with accidently activating the safety on the DW, but that is probably just me and I may have to adjust my grip, or ride the top of the safety to fix that problem.

The trigger is where the DW really shines. That's not to say that the CZ trigger isn't a great trigger, it is, but there's just no beating a good 1911 style trigger. The DW trigger, while a bit heavier than I like, is just better, with a cleaner break, shorter reset and better overall feel. The CZ trigger is slightly heavier, has a relatively short take up, but a too long reset. It breaks fairly crisp, but can't beat the DW trigger.

Finish wise, the finish on both is excellent. The DW has a DLC finish on the slide and an anodized finish on the frame with a slight mismatch in color because of the different metals. The CZ finish matches perfectly because it is more of a Cerekote type finish.  Other than that there are minor differences in sights but that's a matter of personal preference. Naturally the CZ wins hands down with an optic ready slide, while the DW is not.

As I've said, I haven't shot the CZ yet, so these are only my first impressions. My general feeling is that the DW is slightly better in overall quality, although it's extremely close, but given the $600 difference in MSRP the CZ is undoubtedly the better value.  It's a tough decision that only you can decide. Hopefully my first impressions will help until you are able to compare them in person. BOTH are excellent handguns and if possible I recommend getting both. 

20230903_084234 [800x600].jpg

20230903_084308 [800x600].jpg

20230903_084659 [800x600].jpg

23 hours ago, rlbuzz said:

I just picked up my Shadow2 compact yesterday, and making a decision between the two is a tough decision. It's something that only you can decide, but I'm attaching a few pictures and giving my first impressions for your consideration.

As far as the comparison, in the hand both are very similar. The DW is slightly slimmer and feels fantastic. The CZ fills the hand slightly better but also has that fantastic CZ feel. I keep going back and forth and while both are excellent, to me the CZ is slightly better IMO. Ask me again and I might just say the DW is better, it's just that close.  The CZ just fills the hand better and the grip is grippier, both the grips themselves as well as the front and rear backstrap especially. By comparison the DW feels slightly slippery, although I've not had any problems in that area.

In racking the slide, the CZ takes a bit more force to rack it while the DW can be racked with less force and feels much smoother. That may because the DW has about 250 rounds through it, while the CZ hasn't been fired yet. 

As with the frame, the serrations on the slide make the CZ easier to grip.  For me the mag release on the CZ is better and can be pushed without breaking my grip, while on the DW the release is more recessed and I have to break grip to activate it.  The safety on the DW wins because it is definitely easier to activate on or off, while the safety on the CZ is  so flat that it's harder to activate. The DW safety feels like a traditional 1911 safety with good, audible clicks when activating while the safety on the CZ is OK but a little less precise. I have had a problem a time or two with accidently activating the safety on the DW, but that is probably just me and I may have to adjust my grip, or ride the top of the safety to fix that problem.

The trigger is where the DW really shines. That's not to say that the CZ trigger isn't a great trigger, it is, but there's just no beating a good 1911 style trigger. The DW trigger, while a bit heavier than I like, is just better, with a cleaner break, shorter reset and better overall feel. The CZ trigger is slightly heavier, has a relatively short take up, but a too long reset. It breaks fairly crisp, but can't beat the DW trigger.

Finish wise, the finish on both is excellent. The DW has a DLC finish on the slide and an anodized finish on the frame with a slight mismatch in color because of the different metals. The CZ finish matches perfectly because it is more of a Cerekote type finish.  Other than that there are minor differences in sights but that's a matter of personal preference. Naturally the CZ wins hands down with an optic ready slide, while the DW is not.

As I've said, I haven't shot the CZ yet, so these are only my first impressions. My general feeling is that the DW is slightly better in overall quality, although it's extremely close, but given the $600 difference in MSRP the CZ is undoubtedly the better value.  It's a tough decision that only you can decide. Hopefully my first impressions will help until you are able to compare them in person. BOTH are excellent handguns and if possible I recommend getting both. 

20230903_084234 [800x600].jpg

20230903_084308 [800x600].jpg

20230903_084659 [800x600].jpg

this is great stuff . Please update after the siblings go to the range together. 

On 8/25/2023 at 2:37 PM, 45 Raven said:

Some of those "lawyers" doing that "training" are "internet lawyers".  The hysteria regarding lack of a FPB on a pistol amazes me!

Yep.  I refuse to own a CZ WITH a FPB so am pretty excited about this offering.  I don't care what anyone says even when both have been worked on the FPB equipped guns just don't have triggers that are as good.

And in my eyes the FPB achieves nothing.

I've been using a customized Shadow 1 for carry (overall it is a bit smaller than a S2) but this could change that.

Edited by FALAR

On 9/6/2023 at 1:32 PM, FALAR said:

Yep.  I refuse to own a CZ WITH a FPB so am pretty excited about this offering.  I don't care what anyone says even when both have been worked on the FPB equipped guns just don't have triggers that are as good.

And in my eyes the FPB achieves nothing.

I've been using a customized Shadow 1 for carry (overall it is a bit smaller than a S2) but this could change that.

I honestly have never shot S2 . how much bigger is the grip on S2 vs S1