Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shadow 2 Compact

Stafford

On 9/4/2023 at 9:03 AM, 1911vm said:

this is great stuff . Please update after the siblings go to the range together. 

I finally had a chance to take the Shadow2 Compact to the range. I brought it and three other pistols for a comparison of the S2 compact, the DWX compact, a Shadow Line compact, and a Kimber KDS9C. All are very similar in size and I thought I would do a non scientific, nothing fancy, just my impressions of the four pistols. The DWX and Kimber have been to the range a couple of times, but it's been quite a while since I've shot the Shadow Line, and this was the first for the S2C.

All four really feel like high quality firearms. The DWX is probably the smoothest to handle with a silky smooth slide and fantastic trigger. The other three while all are great handling, they probably fall short just a bit of the overall smoothness.

In a ranking of triggers, again the DWX IMO has the best feeling trigger. It's hard to beat a 1911 style trigger for it's short take up, crisp break, and short reset. Both CZs have a great trigger and feel similar in feel, with a slight bit of creep, but still a crisp break and relatively short reset, but they just can't quite equal the DWX and you don't notice the creep when shooting.  The older Shadow Line has a longer take up which I'm glad to see that the newer S2C has improved on. Kimber, which seems to get a lot of criticism really doesn't give up anything to the two CZs and feels very similar in trigger feel.

All four pistols feel great in the hand. Of the four I would have to say the S2C probably feel the best overall. It balances a great ergonomic fit with just enough grit in the texture to give it a good feel without being too aggressive. If I would change one thing on the S2C I would put an extended safety on the left side. The full size S2 offers an extended safety, but I'm not sure if it would fit the compact, but even if it doesn't eventually CZ probably have one.    The Shadow Line is very similar but the newer Shadow series wins by a hair. The DWX also feel wonderful in the hands, but in my impression it's a bit slippery, perhaps because its grip is slightly narrower. I've had a problem with the DWX shifting in my hands so that I apply the safety without realizing it only to have it prevent it from being fired. I've tried adjusting my grip with mixed success. Maybe it's just me, but it seems that its slimmer grip and slightly smoother grips just make it harder to control at recoil. The shape of the grip seems to lock the pistol in place, but evidently the recoil causes the pistol to shift a bit. I still need to work on my grip technique. The Kimber again doesn't give anything up. It is very comfortable to hold and the controls are exactly where they need to be, but the grip itself is a bit thicker than the others but still very comfortable.

Overall operation and shooting was flawless on all of the pistols. Honestly, you could probably pick any of the four and be happy with them. They are all 100% reliable and a joy to shoot, with acceptable recoil and muzzle rise. All four are very accurate although for this test I shot all rounds at 7 yards. Normally I would go out further, but trying to compare four pistols on one trip took more time than I expected, plus this was a get acquainted first trip for the S2C so I spent more time with it. 

Again, you could choose any of the four and probably be happy with your choice. It would all boil down to which one felt the best in your hand and just your personal preference. If I had to choose just one, I would undoubtedly choose the S2C. It's just about perfect IMO.  It just felt the best in my hand, had the best grip, handled the best, and for me was the most accurate. All of them were accurate, but the DW has always shot a bit to the left. I adjusted the rear sight, but it is still ever so slightly patterning to the left. The Shadow Line has it's factory setting for the sights as does the S2C.  The Kimber had to have the elevation adjusted slightly but is fine now.

Again, IMO the Shadow 2 Compact would be my choice of the four. I got mine for $1199 which is to me a screaming good deal, especially since the DWX cost $1800 and isn't cut for an optic. The Kimber was I think $1299 which is in line while the Shadow Line was cheaper than all of them, but we're talking about 2017 dollars, and we know everything has risen in price since then. 

You just have to make a decision, and no matter which one you won't go wrong,  but IMO CZ has a huge success on their hands with the Shadow 2 Compact.  

Pistols [1280x768].jpg

Target [1280x768].jpg

Edited by rlbuzz

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 hours ago, 1911vm said:

I honestly have never shot S2 . how much bigger is the grip on S2 vs S1

Trigger reach wise it'll be the same, it just has the "dogleg" that some people hate and others love.  I like it, like an arched mainspring housing on a 1911, standard Beretta grip instead of Vertec, or SVI/Infinity Signature grip.  I think it fills the hand better.

I agree with the poster above, I'd prefer the standard S2 safety on the compact also, I need a thumb shelf.

Edited by FALAR

• 3 weeks later...

It's my understanding that the S2C is a regular production gun.  I found mine at $1199 so there are some dealers who don't take advantage of buyers because the gun is in demand right now.

Eventually the prices will come down to a reasonable number.

10 minutes ago, rlbuzz said:

It's my understanding that the S2C is a regular production gun.  I found mine at $1199 so there are some dealers who don't take advantage of buyers because the gun is in demand right now.

Eventually the prices will come down to a reasonable number.

That would be great especially since I don't have plans to shoot anytime soon 😂😭. Im new to Orlando and shooting options aren't abundant like they used to be. 

I've handled both the S2C and DWX compact. To me the S2C felt much better in the hand. I should have mine early next week and I have an SRO for it already. If anyone has info on whether a S2C will fit in a T.rex sidecar or T1C axis holster post up please.

Edited by ColoradoNick

13 hours ago, ColoradoNick said:

I've handled both the S2C and DWX compact. To me the S2C felt much better in the hand. I should have mine early next week and I have an SRO for it already. If anyone has info on whether a S2C will fit in a T.rex sidecar or T1C axis holster post up please.

Your description pretty well matches my perception of the S2C.  Even though I own both the S2C and the DWX compact, the S2C not only feels better, but I also shoot it better than the DWX, and I hate to admit that considering that the S2C is about $600 cheaper than the DWX.  But that's the way it is, at least for me.

The DWX does seem to have ever so slightly better quality and smoothness, but I think that may be because of it's initial additional hand fitting. I think that after the S2C is properly broken in by actual use, the difference will be almost imperceptible.

Good luck on finding a proper fitting holster for your S2C.

For anyone interested LOK Grips just put their grips up available on their site for the S2C awhile ago. They’re listed in the Shadow 2 page, there’s an option for them in the size tab. 

I ordered palm swell bogies, I know they have palm swell and thin grips. Not sure if there are other textures or not. 

Picked my compact up today and put 100 rounds through it. Wow. First thing I noticed was how ridiculously light the frame is. I assumed I would want to try brass grips. I figured it was going to be snappy but it shoots ALMOST as flat as my shadow 2. Splits incredibly quick for how small it is. I’m very impressed with this little gun! 2-3” group at 15 yards. 

With how well this shoots who is going to be the first person to mill a full size frame flush with a compact slide? As far as I can tell it will work.

I also put a large safety on it and it works fine. I plan on doing a CGW flat trigger and a short reset disco and that’s probably it.

IMG_1989.jpeg

IMG_1991.jpeg

IMG_1990.jpeg

Edited by ColoradoNick

3 minutes ago, stater61 said:

I saw a post on a forum elsewhere that a guy was shooting a full length slide on the Compact frame. I haven’t checked to see if possible but I suppose it is. 

Yes I know a guy locally doing that as well. I think the nose heaviness i feel in the shadow 2 would go away with a compact slide as well as the swing weight feeling way lighter. Maybe I’m wrong. I really don’t want to chop up a shadow 2 frame to find out 🤣

13 hours ago, ColoradoNick said:

I figured it was going to be snappy but it shoots ALMOST as flat as my shadow

IMG_1989.jpeg

IMG_1991.jpeg

IMG_1990.jpeg

I have to ask. When you say snappy what do you mean? It's a 30oz gun. Compare to a shadow 2? 

8 minutes ago, 1911vm said:

I have to ask. When you say snappy what do you mean? It's a 30oz gun. Compare to a shadow 2? 

Probably just my inexperience with “small” guns. I havent shot a compact sized gun in at least 8 months. I understand this is bigger than a glock 43 or a hellcat but I was surprised at how closely it shoots like a full size shadow 2. If you have smaller hands and wanted to compete with the gun you daily carry this very easily fills that roll. Maybe that was obvious to everyone. 🤣

I might be answering my own question here- I have a pair of Shadow 2’s with the full CGW treatment. They have around 20k through them combined and other than a couple extraction issues quickly fixed with a cleaning they have been extremely reliable.

The S2C is primarily going to be a carry gun so reliability matters. Right now I have a 13lb hammer spring/reduced firing pin spring, but I’m debating doing the full cajun gun works package minus the extended firing pin or just a flat trigger and short reset disconnect.

Thoughts? From what I can tell the extended firing pin is the only thing they don’t recommend for a carry gun. If I don’t go lighter than the 13# main spring reliability should be fine correct?

2 hours ago, ColoradoNick said:

I might be answering my own question here- I have a pair of Shadow 2’s with the full CGW treatment. They have around 20k through them combined and other than a couple extraction issues quickly fixed with a cleaning they have been extremely reliable.

The S2C is primarily going to be a carry gun so reliability matters. Right now I have a 13lb hammer spring/reduced firing pin spring, but I’m debating doing the full cajun gun works package minus the extended firing pin or just a flat trigger and short reset disconnect.

Thoughts? From what I can tell the extended firing pin is the only thing they don’t recommend for a carry gun. If I don’t go lighter than the 13# main spring reliability should be fine correct?

will depend on primer being used. 13# spring and standard FP can not be enough on some primers.  go to 14# "should" be ok. 

1 hour ago, eerw said:

will depend on primer being used. 13# spring and standard FP can not be enough on some primers.  go to 14# "should" be ok. 

Who makes a 14? What is stock? I’m using CCI’s and Fiocchi’s so I will test. With the extended firing pin I’ve had zero issues with the 11.5#

Edited by ColoradoNick