Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

United States Pratical Shooting Association

Crusher

I was having a discussion earlier this eve (Merry Christmas ALL) with another about USPSA and this person (friends of my wifes') told me how he was not interested in USPSA because it was not pratical. I asked practical in referance to what? He told me the types of guns/support gear used specifically the Open and Ltd and the $ involved. I informed him that there ARE other divisions (Prod, Ltd 10 and soon SS) that in which most competitors used "Practical" handguns with practical (read carry) support gear.

While this person has seen some of the OLN shows regarding USPSA and gear he was not impressed with the "Praticality" of the sport (based on the name) of USPSA and has never seen a local match first hand (this will change in the near future as I conviced him to check one out after he viewed some videos I had on the comp of varios stages I and others have shot over the years).

This started me thinking (not allways a good path for me anyway) is the word "Practical" the best wording that can be used for the USPSA from a marketing standpoint trying to garner new shooters?

Yea, I know more often than not, once a new shooter shoots his/her first match they are often hooked, however, from a marketing standpoint, is the limited (media) info that most have available regarding the sport is, turning off potential participants?

Thoughts? There has to be some "marketing" types on the boards.

I don't get it.

Your friend's perception was that USPSA was not practical, and therefore he was not interested.

What does that have to do with the name? Changing the name would not make us more, or less practical.

There are good reasons why "practical" was chosen. I still like the word.

Arguably what we do is competitive combat shooting. Would we attract more of the mainstream by changing our name? I doubt it. What would change it to?

Can you imagine the negative press that we would garner if we were to call ourselves the United State Combat Shooting Association? A lot of people in the shooting sports already look down on us because we shoot fast and run with guns. You'd think we were playing with sharp sticks or running with scissors.

You are doing what works, talk one on one and then get your friends out to a match.

Jim Norman

I did not intend to suggest name change from USPSA, no need for that.

It never dawned on me that some who have seen or heard about the sport have the perception of "practical" based on the name and when they see the OLN programs (and other media productions) their perception is "that doesn't look practical". They also see featured products (by the shows host) and some may have sticker shock at the suggested retail prices of those products and again the perception is to be competative there is a significant investment necessary to play, as we know this is not true.

Given the availability of commumication technology we are still using a face to face information exchange to attract new players which seems antiquated from a marketing standpoint.

IMHO there is a large market potential (based on firearms ownership) for attracting new shooters to the action shooting sports that has yet to be capitalized on by any specfic disipline and the GAME that can tap into that market can not help but swell its ranks. The question is "how to tap the market".

A lot of people in the shooting sports already look down on us because we shoot fast and run with guns.

I am aware of this attitude, mostly from the static shooting disiplines (stand and shoot) where "alibies" are the norm as are mutiple bullet impacts in everything forward of the firing line including but not limited to target runners, benches, walls, window frames, ect. Yet the perception is when we run and gun there is an inherent "saftey" issue from these actions. Again this is a perception that may be related to "marketing".

IMHO the only "problem" we have is the perception that you need a Limited or Open gun to shoot the sport. How many prospective shooters have a Limited or Open gun already? Probably none.

USPSA should focus totally on Production, L-10, and Revolver divisions in their marketing. While the majority of our members don't shoot these divisions, we shouldn't be marketing the sport for folks who are already members. Limited and Open will be discovered at the first match, and have an appeal that needs no advertising.

I don't know about anyone else, but the first thing I have to clear up when recruiting is the "You need a $3000 race gun to shoot USPSA" misconception. The next thing is getting them over the fear of looking bad in front of others.

As far as practical goes, point out the shooters that our armed forces go to when they want the best training for the real world.

The cold hard facts are that this sport is not for everyone.

I know people that come out to steel matches but won't come to IPSC because the term "run" is used. Not that they have anything against movement with a gun, they just don't like the term "run" (unless it is used as in "he honey, run to the fridge and get me another beer!")

I know very good IPSC shooters that refuse to even try 3-gun even though they own all the guns. They just aren't interested.

IPSC/USPSA cannot be everything to everyone. We need to focus on the market segment we have and do more of what Crusher did...get people out to matches to see what we are about.

I always find it interesting when talking to someone new to the sport. They have a great deal of fear regarding movement with a hot gun. But once they have seen their first match and the supreme emphasis we place upon safety they are pretty much in awe of how safe our sport is despite what we do. That is something that is wayyyy easier to show someone than to tell them about.

I think most potential new shooters have an impression that you need a STI Open gun and matching gear to shoot. That is a problem.

I think a lot of people have excuses. That's not our problem. No offense intended just how it is. Its not for most shooters.

I also think "Practical" is ok since the only other name I can some up with and I use to describe our sport is Competition Speed and Accuracy Shooting

Next time ask him if he is in a gunfight (really practical application) if he wants the guns we use and the skills of one of our GM's or a bone stock duty gun and a new recruit out of the academy? We have been the victim of bad press for years. They claim the guns are only for sport, the tactics will get you killed...blah blah blah. It seems that our sport and 3 gun have lead the way for most of the "new" high tech toys being used by LE and Military now. Practical is getting lead into the bad guy as fast as possible so he can't do it to you! Every raid I go on I have a STI tactical in a thigh holster, best part is I can take the same gun and shoot Limited on Sun.

USPSA should focus totally on Production, L-10, and Revolver divisions in their marketing. While the majority of our members don't shoot these divisions, we shouldn't be marketing the sport for folks who are already members. Limited and Open will be discovered at the first match, and have an appeal that needs no advertising.

I don't know about anyone else, but the first thing I have to clear up when recruiting is the "You need a $3000 race gun to shoot USPSA" misconception. The next thing is getting them over the fear of looking bad in front of others.

As far as practical goes, point out the shooters that our armed forces go to when they want the best training for the real world.

Again I think USPSA needs to look at the advertising of NHRA. They promote a huge collection of classes for every type of car or motorcycle imaginable. The Pro categories take a budget that would break most large corporations in short order and are shown on TV and pushed in the national spectator advertising, but the 'amateur' classes are what they push in their entry level advertising through car magazines and car events. Seriously they have a class for everyone, I have a friend who races a ‘94 Caprice station wagon with a small block V8. That has to be the automobile equivalent of a Ruger P95.

NHRA also has a very solid Divisional (area) championship series as well as the National championship series. I think USPSA is missing the boat in terms of Area and Sectional championship SERIES. I would love to see Sectional championship series put on by groups of clubs in a section, but that’s a topic for another thread.

Nolan

Kimel +1. The majority of gun owners are just not interested in competitive shooting.

I agree, and find it odd -- especially in the arena of handguns. How long can you stand and shoot at a target before starting to wonder, "Hmm...am I more accurate than that SOB next to me?" :)

That said, I think USPSA's marketing...could use some work. Before joining this year, I *vaguely* was aware of the sport, and if I had to define it back then, it would be someone in a colorful shirt with logos, and a super high-tech pistol.

Only by chance did the local range I shoot at offer a "practical-pistol-like" match, and one of the shooters said, "Hey, if you like this, you oughtta try...."

I think gun stores, ranges, gun shows, and hunting/fishing expos should be the target (ha) of displays and flyers, listing the location/date of the next/nearest USPSA match, and a quick checklist oriented towards the new Production or L-10 shooter.

In the latest Front Sight magazine, there's a Glock ad showing Julie G. and David S. posed a la the movie, "Mr and Mrs. Smith." It catches the eye -- a life-sized cardboard cut-out of something like that would attract attention at the local gunshow(s), I can assure you. :)

Similarly the mainstream media should be alerted to cover major shooting events. I was somewhat surprised no local TV stations covered our state's Sectional match, that I'm aware of, nor did the Sports section of the newspaper feature this, at all, I don't believe.

That said, I've been trying to encourage folks I know and shoot with to try a USPSA match, and had zero success. Go figure. :(

Practical, or not, it,s not in the words or names. As some have pointed out most people just don't want to compeate. NHRA was brought up. Yep a lot of divisions, Yep kind of a fun sport, yep much more redily accepted in some social circles, but you don't see every track jam packed every race day with racers. It takes a certain mind set to strap on the old Nova and chug down the strip in 11 seconds. It, like this, isn't for everyone. The guy with the helmet on is just a little different than the guy in the stand. And if you think the cost of USPSA is high, try dirt or pavement racing, straight , oval, even Moto-Cross. It is just the way things are. I don't know if its that people are just afraid of looking bad in front of others, or it just plain easier to follow the laws of entropy ( things at rest tend to remain at rest ). All I know is that people will always come up with an excuss to remain at rest. :D If it takes a word, or a name to do so, it will be used quickly and accurately. :lol: KURTM

FWIW, lots of places where 'practical shooting' is a bad word (Switzerland, etc), they use the term 'dynamic shooting'. I think it's probably a little more descriptive, but like others, I don't see the need to change.

IMHO there is a large market potential (based on firearms ownership) for attracting new shooters to the action shooting sports that has yet to be capitalized on by any specfic disipline and the GAME that can tap into that market can not help but swell its ranks. The question is "how to tap the market".

There ya go. You just came up with a good name and I like it. United States Action Shooting Association. I must admit, I never liked the Practical name.

+1

I also think "Practical" is ok since the only other name I can some up with and I use to describe our sport is Competition Speed and Accuracy Shooting

What do you think of Action?

I think gun stores, ranges, gun shows, and hunting/fishing expos should be the target (ha) of displays and flyers, listing the location/date of the next/nearest USPSA match, and a quick checklist oriented towards the new Production or L-10 shooter.

NRA Headquarters already arranges coverage for the Shot Show; The NRA Show and the ASLET show. Beyond that, it's not practical to send paid staff out to cover events.

The way to get gun show and expo coverage is for clubs or sections to do this. If you ask your Area Director, there is an very high probability you can get the table fee for your show paid by USPSA. While you're asking for the table fee, you might as well ask your AD to get some marketing literature, posters and display materials from USPSA for your table.

In order to translate "table visitors" into "members", you need a follow-up activity. The show my local club exhibits at each year always runs an intro course about 5 weeks after the match, and we've always filled it to capacity (16), and turned a few of the attendees into regulars.

USPSA has a "shop display" program, and participating shops are listed in the clubfinder (if you look up a club by zip code, participating shows show up as well). The problem has been getting "traction" with this program. I have some ideas and will be talking to HQ about them.

• 4 weeks later...
IMHO the only "problem" we have is the perception that you need a Limited or Open gun to shoot the sport. How many prospective shooters have a Limited or Open gun already? Probably none.

Here's your chance to hear from a "noob", that would be me.

Here's how it went down for me. I don't hunt, I'm a paper shooter, and professional beer can plinker. I take it pretty seriously as one of those, "extra hobbies" we all have. I've been doing some pistol customizing. finally realized I was building what are technically, "race guns". Wasn't on purpose, that's just how it worked out.

Once I figured that out, it made it easier to find parts. Once I figured that out, I stumbled on the USPSA site. I read it top to bottom. Went to the "find a match" page, and found out there was a shoot scheduled for the VERY NEXT DAY, about 150 miles from here. Folks, that's practically in my back yard when you are talking living in Montana. I called the guy at 11pm, got the information I needed, realized I had no holsters that would work with any of the race guns I'd built (or had built, would be a better term). So I had to run production, minor with a rock stock glock 17, as that's all I had that fit the rules that I had a holster for.

I went, they treated me like "one of the guys", showed me all the safety stuff until I was almost sick of it (which I really did appreciate, don't get me wrong). I expected to finish dead last, and couldn't have cared any less, I just wanted to have some fun. Which I did.

Bottom line, I was the only guy there shooting production, to top it off the other guys all shot major, and I actually out scored 3-4 guys on a few stages. I couldn't have been any happier. I had a great time, it was safe, the other shooters were very accomodating, and we all got along like old buddies.

I'll be going back there again. :D

Today I ordered a bunch of tragets, a timing system, tapers, the whole schmeer, and I got about5-6 of my local buddies jacked about doing some shooting. I'm gonna build stands this weekend, and we're gonna start prepping our local range.

What does it take? Just being there. The sport/hobby, is not for everybody. Case in point, I was taking my 16 year old son to the range. He's 16, couldn't care less, and I was kind of bummed (losing out on the father son bonding thing). Turns out, my 12 year old daughter digs it, and I've since been taking her to the range instead of my son, and she thinks it's fun (and he's happy that I'm not "wasting his time, because it's boring"...). Go figure, things never turn out the way you really think they are gonna. Also, it takes being good sports, being friendly, and it means making sure the shooters have a good (and safe) time. That gets people in.

It also takes some motivated people. Locally now, it would seem that's me... I've been aware of the USPSA for about 4 days, and I've already been to a shoot, have ordered 2 new guns that better fit the classes they offer (in place of the crazy stuff I built), and have ordered all the necessary equipment to host a shoot of our own.

You can't get people interested if they are not interested. I read on some other forum that people that are interested end up seeking out the USPSA all on their own. That's kind of what happened to me.

Not sure if this was insightful or not. Hope it was.

-Montana

Practical name or not, I think if the local clubs would be more proactive by posting flyers in their local gun shops/sporting goods store, I think more people would at least show up to see what its all about.

I will admit that I was always curious about the sport when I read about it in magazines, or watched it on TV but I was never able to locate a place to participate. Yes, I know we have the internet but some people have no idea that the sport exists.

My eyes opened when a fellow on another gun forum invited me to a local indoor league. I showed up with a gun, ammo, holster and a mag pouch planning on just watching but wanting to be ready in case I decided to try it out. I think I watched one guy run through the 3 stages they had up and I was HOOKED! The people there were second to none, everyone was more than helpful explaining the scoring, what to do, what not to do, heck, the guy running it was really encouraging me to give it a shot that night, so I did.

I have been shooting guns for 20+ years but this was a chance to REALLY shoot and not just stand in a stall and punch holes in paper. Boy, I thought I was a pretty good shot until I tried to shoot while running and shooting movers added with the pressures of competing.

I started shooting outdoor matches shortly after. After a bit over a month of that, I drug my wife out to watch me. I shot a match on saturday and a match on sunday and as we were leaving the sunday match, she said, "that looks fun, I could probably do that." WOW, this was coming from a woman that hyperventilated in the first gun store I took her into...We went straight to the Gander Mountain store and she picked out an XD9 and has been shooting ever since. Now she even wants an STI open gun.

I really owe Bill Severs for my interest in the sport because he was the patient guy that was running this indoor league and put up with all the new guy questions and helped build my wife's and I confidence.

I didn't mean to be long winded but the point I was trying to make was that if we can all just take one person to a local club to check out a match, I think the sport would grow by leaps and bounds. You will never get everyone to be involved, no matter what you call it. When people want to shoot though, a little nudge sure helps alot.

• 2 weeks later...

For years the club where I got started (Green Mountain Practical Shooters) has manned tables with volunteers at local gun shows to talk to prospective shooters about our sport. We offer free shoot coupons for one match to the people we meet who are interested. We also offer a free new shooters clinic in the spring for anyone interested the day before a match, to give people a chanch to get a feel for things before their first real competition. Over the years this has gotten a lot of new members involved.

It was talking to one of our club's volunteers at a gun show that got me started in USPSA six years ago, and since then I've manned a table a number of times and answered questions from a lot of prospective shooters. One of the things that seems to have been a big plus in attracting people is the addition of Production and L10 (and now SS) divisions. A lot of people don't realize they can compete with their stock gear, and as soon as they find out they can are eager to give it a try. But probably the most important thing is the friendly, supportive atmosphere that I have always found to be such a big part of our sport.

As far as the "practical" in USPSA's name is concerned, it's tough to say how much that affects people's opinion of us- I really think it's a mixed bag. I do think a lot of unfamiliar people have an impression from critical articles in some shooting publications that our sport is somehow not practical; unfortunately, it seems that a number of gunwriters who get considerable press have a hard time writing an article without taking a poke at IPSC. It would be nice if these gunwriters would recognize that we as shooters are all in it together, and that tearing down any shooting sport does nothing to help our common cause. Overall, I have to say I think the word practical was put in our sport for a reason, and it's a good thing to keep it there.

This is a cheap sport... Glock 35 $600.

Mags. $80.

Holster $18. Bladetech

Holders $50.

C/R belt $50.

------------------------------

$798.

A weekend ski trip:

Lodging, food, lift tickets, transportation...

Conservatively $600.

Normal $800-$900 (decent lodging and good food)

The ski trip is over on Sunday night...... We still have our guns! <_<