Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

My shooting is ok but I cant remember sht when beep goes beep

Dfehr401

1201466214_shooterready.jpg.8de1e8244a2377a7eb9e2fe5dd19a162.jpg

In all honesty, when I took a class with Mike Seeklander, he said once you have your plan, you should be able to turn your back to the stage and shoot the stage in your head.  Until then you're not ready.

Edited by stick

The above advice... 

Burn the entire stage plan into your head, close your eyes and run through it. Oh, and then do it again and again. Do it at realistic speed, don't just fast forward through the stage in your head. 

Visualization seems to be one of the most critical part of our game that is a bit under-discussed.  The above commentary is all accurate, but each individual is quite different.  For me, I try to lock in my plan asap so I can move onto the visualization phase.  That includes running it in my head without looking at the stage, and when I get stuck I take a look, then look away and do it again in my head until I don't have to look at the stage.  I was once told that when you've visualized correctly, first the fluidity in execution of the stage is self evident, but second you will likely have the stage in your head for a week.

Get to the matches early. Walk any difficult to remember stages 1000 times if needed. Spend more time on the complex ones and don't waste effort on the easy ones. You should be able to visualize yourself in first person going to each position and shooting each target. It will come with time and practice. 

If you are not first on the stage, make sure you reset it as much as possible.  Resetting/taping lets me see anything hidden that I might miss otherwise. A pattern to the way it was set up.  Different perspective. 

Gerritm 

1 hour ago, beltfedgoodness said:

I’m with the OP on this, I’m following for any more advice on how to practice this! 

It would be great to hear back from you and the OP on what you tried from the suggestions and what worked. This is the interesting part of the game where we're all wired different.  We have a few high level shooters locally. One clearly separates himself after the walk through the program his plan in....you can literally see it.  Then another guy walks through twice, and keeps socializing until he shoots...then proceeds to crush souls.  We're all a bit different.

Trying to plan like the local heat might not be the best path. He's going to do things that are in HIS skillset, not yours. 

I'd adopt some doctrine. These are not perfect but are a good starting point. Assuming you are right handed. 

1. Draw TO the easy target first. 

2. Leave a position FROM an easy target. 

3. Given an option, moving towards targets will typically be better than "shooting them from back here."

4. Generally shoot left to right. 

5. Generally move left to right. 

6. Avoid static reloads. 

7. There's no such thing as a "Free" reload. Your clone will be one second faster than you for every reload you do. 

8. When you're walking the stages focus on the "tough" parts, not the start position. These guys who stand in the box 100 times instead of prepping for the critical parts of the stage are doing it wrong. 

By the time you are making ready, you should have "shot" the stage in your mind so often that you're tired of it. 

Try to keep the plan simple. If there is a way to do it that's less complex but theoretically slower you'll probably do better with the less complex plan.

Once you have a plan visualize it over and over again in your head until you can't do it wrong. Start practicing visualization in practice both live a dry to get better at it. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...