Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Powder recommendations for 45 in IDPA CDP

CurlyShuffle

I have 1K hi-tek 230gr coated bullets from MO Bullet company, specifically their "Softball-GT."  I'm looking to use them in my prospective IDPA CDP gun, which is a full size Sig P320 in .45 ACP (4.7" barrel).  Any powder recommendations for getting that bullet to the 165 power factor?

anything between tightgroup and unique on a burn rate chart should work fine.
WST, 231 ,,, Nowadays 244 is a newer powder that is suppossed to replace 231.  Tight group will be dirty at the lower pressure and may smoke some with coated bullets. So many things go into picking  a powder,, Many will work just fine, some work better for some big flakey powders dont meter well in auto powder measures,, some super fine ones make a mess. Stuff like that.
Based on powders I have at home id probably go with WST. WST takes up alot of room per grain, so should run pretty consistent.. Reasonably clean at the pressure you will be loading.

Vihtavuori N310 should be good. It is fast burning, so even light loads would give enough pressure to burn pretty clean. Start around 3.5 or 3.6 gr, and see if you need more to make PF. Just make sure you don't get double loads.

Even N320 is a little too slow burning for light loads.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 7/7/2023 at 2:24 AM, perttime said:

Vihtavuori N310 should be good. It is fast burning, so even light loads would give enough pressure to burn pretty clean. Start around 3.5 or 3.6 gr, and see if you need more to make PF. Just make sure you don't get double loads.

Even N320 is a little too slow burning for light loads.

This^^^, In th past Clays and WST were my favorites, but I’ve really the results I’ve been getting with VV310. Lot’s of powders “work” but these three are my preferred powders 

I've recently rekindled my interest in CDP and am going through my books to find a load to (re)start with. 

I picked up some of the Blue Bullets 200gr SWC. 

I have some data for Clays but my trip to the range with some test loads on the labradar put the numbers just under the 165 power factor.   I'm guessing Clays is very temperature sensitive - it was a 90*F day with pretty high Humidity. - typical day in the NW Florida panhandle. 

Back to the drawing board;  I loaded up a few using the Wilson Load with 4.5grains of N310.  Labradar numbers shows ~900 fps.  Mixed range brass and Federal large pistol primers.

I had outstanding results with Shooters World Clean Shot, which The Internet says is a 1:1 with AA#2.

4.6gr Cleanshot came across the ProChrono with a 10 shot average of 845 and SD of 6.

When i tested this load, i had my buddies Ransom rest with me. I tested my old standby load with Clays and the Cleanshot load I listed here.  

Pretty sure i know what load i'm taking to the Kentucky Classic ;)

CS_Load.jpg

Nice group with the clean shot.  Clays isn't as hot as it used to be since manufacturing moved to Canada.  I used to use 4.0 grains with 200 swc to make PF, now I'm doing the max at 4.3 and barely making it.

• 4 months later...

Here's something in the ballpark!  This load uses small pistol primer case, a large pistol primer and case would probably be better.

Bullet:  Blue Bullets 230 gr. RNFP (Polymer Coated/.452)
Powder:  VihtaVuori N310 3.8 grs.
Primer:  Winchester Small Pistol
Case:  Mixed Blazer & Federal       
OAL:  1.250
Avg. Vel.:  721.87 fps  
PF:  166
Recoil Spring:  16 lbs.

On 7/17/2023 at 1:12 PM, vegaspete61 said:

3.6 grains of Ramshot Competition with a 230 grain BBI makes 168 pf in my Sig P320 45.

Close …. my main IDPA load for Years with RS Comp has been 4.0…….got me 740’s with a Zero 230.  Close with mine at 170PF Recently tried 3.8 and still got marginally less with same Custom Caspian 5”45   
Reloading To Each Their Own! 

I’ll say 3.6 is my next try for my old rare Centaur Quadra-Comp setup 

Edited by HHjr

• 2 weeks later...

In my 45 acp I've used Ramshot Competition, Hogdon Clays, Alliant ClayDot (same as Clays for load data reported to be the same powder other than the little red flakes) all were good & clean.

May have to try the Cleanshot though?

Edited by pskys2