Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Make ready etiquette?

yekcoh

Are there any rules written for spectator behavior during a make ready state?

I shot a local match last Sunday and at one point the crowds were being obnoxiously loud during my make ready which interfered ROs command. the RO and a few others had to turn around to hush them down. 

I've had some loud people in my squads over the years, but at make  ready I never even notice them. I guess if they were talking over the RO, that would be an issue, but as stated above it's not golf and there's all kinds of racket going on. If I did have an issue hearing the RO I would just simply say "what" and move on

1 hour ago, barry said:

Ro should have control of environment. That being said  it's not golf and you do have gunfire from surrounding pits .

If someone is carrying on loudly behind you ask ro to addresses it

+1. If the spectators behind you are interfering with your pre-stage procedures tell the RO. Ask him to quiet them down. Interfering with a competitor, whether by intent or just through impolite behavior, should not be tolerated, and the RO should correct it. That's their job.

In USPSA the rule you are looking for is 10.6  depending on who is causing the problem. Shooters can be DQ'd or spectators made to leave the range.  Either under failure to comply with reasonable directions of a match official , or interference with operation of a course of fire.. I mean that would get pretty extreme to DQ someone,, but it is in the RO's tool bag. 

I had this last weekend, as the peanut gallery was getting loud over something or another and my shooter was having a hard time hearing my commands. No biggie, it's a gregarious group at my home club. I just politely asked if they could tune it down a notch. Problem solved

It usually will work itself out with a polite comment or just standing there as the RO and giving a stare.

As the shooter, you don't have to react to the timer if something disturbs you right before your run. 

3 hours ago, waktasz said:

It usually will work itself out with a polite comment or just standing there as the RO and giving a stare.

As the shooter, you don't have to react to the timer if something disturbs you right before your run. 

A month or so ago, I was beginning a classifier stage from a seated position. I reacted to a noise from the next bay, thinking it was my beep, by lifting my fingers from my knees, and then the RO hit the button. I semi froze and then not hearing anything continued. Lots of discussion ensued, and I was given a procedural for "creeping." A first for me and frankly everyone I know. My belief was that the RO should have stopped me and restarted me.

Thoughts? 

If you start prematurely it's a stop and reset you situation but if you are moving AT the start signal it's a creeping penalty. RO has a lot of discretion in this case but if you're the shooter and just stop in this situation, it's going to be a reshoot.

Do you wear electronic muffs while you are the shooter? If so turn them off. 

Edited by waktasz

3 hours ago, waktasz said:

If you start prematurely it's a stop and reset you situation but if you are moving AT the start signal it's a creeping penalty. RO has a lot of discretion in this case but if you're the shooter and just stop in this situation, it's going to be a reshoot.

Do you wear electronic muffs while you are the shooter? If so turn them off. 

I had it in my head to never stop myself, but in retrospect, I guess I should have stopped myself and forced a restart? 

Shooting open, I wear amplified ear plus with a MSA Sordin over the plugs, and leave that turned off. 

The RO(s) should be paying attention to the volume of conversation coming from the rest of the squad and address the issue accordingly when it gets out of hand. This can get really bad when two squads get log jammed on the same bay and there are twice as many people "Yip Yapping". As an RO I have requested log jammed squads to remove themselves from the bay when it gets really out of hand. I have also used "SHUT UP!!!" stated loudly at the squad when they don't get the hint from repeated friendly asks to quiet down.

On the other side of the coin, as a shooter, you can't expect there to be complete silence during your Make Ready or even shooting the stage. There will always be a certain amount of "Yip Yapping" going on while attending matches. You need to build the skill of blocking out the extra chatter which does happen and you really don't have control over it happening or not.

3 hours ago, GJM said:

I had it in my head to never stop myself, but in retrospect, I guess I should have stopped myself and forced a restart? 

Shooting open, I wear amplified ear plus with a MSA Sordin over the plugs, and leave that turned off. 

It's more about not starting in this situation than stopping yourself. 

On 5/30/2023 at 7:41 PM, JWBaldree said:

I had this last weekend, as the peanut gallery was getting loud over something or another and my shooter was having a hard time hearing my commands. No biggie, it's a gregarious group at my home club. I just politely asked if they could tune it down a notch. Problem solved

Makes sense.

A lot of times at locals, and even somewhat at majors, a lot of butt hurt can be avoided if you are able to squad with like minded shooters. 

There is nothing wrong with being one of the deadly serious folks who would like utter silence, and there is nothing wrong with being one of the folks who is there strictly for the fun and camaraderie. Irritation comes about when you are the casual person in the serious squad or vice versa. 

20 hours ago, BritinUSA said:

If 'common courtesy' were still common then there would be no problem.

+1! Respecting the other shooters, and not interfering with them, should be a normal part of any match.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/31/2023 at 6:18 PM, GJM said:

Once the timer goes off what's happened has happened AFAIK, if the RO doesn't see you moving and starts you you're stuck with the creeping. There's not a concession to the RO not noticing and starting you while you were moving, if you stop yourself you're just adding time to the score.

If a competitor fails to react to a start signal, for any reason, 
the Range Officer will confirm that the competitor is ready to attempt the 
course of fire and will resume the range commands from “Are You Ready?”