Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

P320 Reliability is awesome

RangerTrace

I shot the Texas State IDPA Championship yesterday at the Mission160 range in Whiteright.  If you've shot there, you know the range surface is mostly crushed white rock and the fine dust associated with it.  I had some mag pouch issues yesterday and dropped a full mag during a stage.  I picked it up on the timer and put it in the gun, even though it was covered and full of that white dirt.  The gun still ran 100%.  In fact, I didn't clean a single magazine all day long and it still ran 100%.  I love low maintenance guns.

I have P320 practice mags that I don't clean until I feel way past guilty. Literally thousands of rounds...5k? maybe...

The range I typically practice and drop them on is sand and gravel and does not have a "moon dust" problem.

I do clean my match mags before the next match but I'm pretty sure I could get away with not doing that for several matches in a row at least. Unless it is the monthly "moon dust" match... lol...I'm more attentive.

Edited by ddc

In the winter I go to Florida for four or five months and shoot IDPA down there.  If you haven't been to Florida, it is sand, sand and more sand.  You cry when you have to reload and drop a mag.  All I have had to do with my X5 is wipe off the outside of the mag and reload them, poof, you are good to go, no problems.  I do give them a quick cleaning when I get home.

• 3 weeks later...

Only problem I have ever had is with red powdery clay causing failure to load after picking my mag up out of a dust cloud.  The round or the follower seemed to have hung up causing the rest of the rounds to fall out.  BTW I have ran about 10k rounds through these mags without cleaning them and that was the only issue I ever had.  Lmfao, they sound like an old bedspring mattress when I load them........lolol

I managed to get my 320 to fail.

I did some laundry and left a small strip of pasters  in the pocket of my shorts.  next match comes around and I’m wearing those shorts.  Unbeknownst to me, in the small pocket where I stash my starter mag was the remnants of that strip of pasters.  Some of the clumps of paper migrated into the magazine between the 2nd and 3rd round.  Far enough down the magazine that I didn’t see it when I put it in the gun.    First and second round fired just fine but number three was a total stoppage.   

Many lessons were learned that day

• 5 months later...

I have two X5 Legions and have never had a malfunction with either.  This is after at least 5000 rounds, mostly handloads, through each gun, so I'm impressed with their reliability.  I do clean them regularly but that still seems very good to me.

Been using an X5 or 320 FS in IPSC here in Australia for last 5 or so years, can honestly not remember any stoppages with either, cleaned the mags probably twice with a mag brush, usually boresnake and a few drops of oil before every major ( for us about monthly from August thru Feb- March.

Finally some people that know how to use a Sig P320 and not have it go off in a holster.  Yeah I love the reliability of the 320 and have been dependable guns. Legion, the max, the nitron, and two fcu builds for an open minor guns.  I think I let my mags go without cleaning for 5 years before I started to feel bad that I haven’t .  Even waiting on another legion the I ordered through the shoot sig program.