Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

1911 9mm mags

Jeff O

Tripp or Wilson for SS.  I have about 15 total.  Just the right amount for Nationals.  Yes, I realize there are usually 18 + stages but it is nice not to have to deal with reloading mags all the time.

SV for my SVs.

When I was running a Dan Wesson PM9 in SS, I ran Tripp mags successfully for a while but nose dives would happen with stoked mags and 147 Blue FPs.  Chip Mccormicks ended up being the best; you may need to tune the lips a little to make sure you have a good orientation for that first round with a stoked mag.

Always ran metal form 9 round and shooting star 10 round 38 super mags and ran ammo about 1.160,  Back when you could get winchester 115's and 124 HB  FMJ's pretty cheap.

• 1 month later...

Look no further than Wilson ETM mags. in 9mm, 45, and 10rd 45 (where applicable) yet to have a mag related malfunction in any of the above in multiple guns. Rain, sleet, snow,  hail, and even the dreaded moon dust....just works

8 hours ago, Distant Thunder said:

Moon dust? What were the travel/lodging expenses like for that match?

Steep...but they give out free ice cream when taking pictures at DQ after a short match, so it all evens out...🤣

• 1 month later...
On 4/14/2023 at 4:38 PM, zzt said:

Metalform mags are the best.  Their bodies are in Brownell's and Dawson mags.  Only the base pads are different.  The only ones of the six brands I tried that worked 100%.  The new MecGar did not function at all in my gun.

Agreed.  After trying several, I found Dawson's ran 100% of the time.  And, since you can no longer buy Dawson's Metalform's are the next best since the mag bodies are the same. 

• 4 weeks later...

If I don’t have to do reloads such as in Steel Challenge, then Wilsons, Tripps and Dawsons are all good.  If mag changes are needed, I use Dawsons because the mags will drop reliably since the bullet nose won’t poke out beyond the front of the mag.

Tripps make it easy to deload the rounds out of the mags, but the downside is that the top bullet tends to slip out beyond the front of the mag, making mag drops problematic.

• 5 weeks later...

Now I’m using Dawson/Metalform mag bodies with Tripp followers and springs.  The Dawson springs are about one coil too long - they were causing occasional inertia feeds.  One could clip off a coil and it would probably work great.  I went the route of combining mag components that I know give the function I need.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/18/2023 at 6:51 PM, OpenshooterMclass4lyfe said:

I’ve had issues with my 9mm Tripp mags. They hang up in the gun when trying to eject a magazine intermittently. It’s been a headache at matches.   

I’ve had several people I trust tell me to use metal forms.   I plan to get my hands on some soon and test them.  

I suggest trying Tripp springs and followers in the Metalform tubes in the event you have any issues you suspect are mag-related.  Nice thing about Metalform is there are several sources and the price is good.