Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Which 9mm pistols are flattest shooting?

I can’t answer your question directly but the flattest recoil probably comes from low slide mass, light recoil spring to match and a low bore. 

The alien and strike one come to mind but my gun knowledge is not significant. 

My Maxim 9 has very light recoil impulse. There isn’t much slide to reciprocate and it’s front heavy. 

Edited by Twilk73

21 hours ago, blue72 said:

Not necessarily looking for softest recoil. Just looking to get a pistol known for minimal muzzle flip

isnt muzzle flip related more to your grip and how low the gun sits in your hand?  

34 minutes ago, blue72 said:

I think I want to stick with a polymer striker fired gun for a number of reasons

the Glock 17 I shot was fairly flat…is anything flatter in the polymer segment?

The Glock 34 I used to run shot super flat with my reloads, may be slightly flatter than the 17 but it's all going to be preference. Flat is a matter of technique more so than the gun, but some guns make it easier than others obviously. Any of your lower bore axis guns like Glock/ CZ will be more mechanically inclined to run flat, but you have to put in the work too. 

almost any gun will have minimal muzzle flip if you grip it like a grown man. I'm elderly and with my shadow 2 the dot doesn't even leave the a-zone at 10 yards. Same with any 1911.

Not that it really makes any difference. Even if the dot bounces slightly higher, it seems to come back just as fast with most any gun, as long as you grip it.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Ria 5.0 was the flattest I've ever shot. The slide bites my giant hand so I had to sell. Looking at the arsenal speed now and still have my cz shadows and sti marauder which are quite flat as well.

• 4 weeks later...

Me personally i love a heavy gun. That being said. Ammo you use and or load makes a difference. Experiment with different powders and bullet weights. Try different spring weights recoil and main if applicable.

All of these things make a difference.

On 2011 style there are a bunch of factors charlie perez has a great video breaking down each component of the platform that effects performance. i mean down to the firing pin stop

• 10 months later...