Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How Do You Store Your Clean Brass?

TXSouthpaw

I've got buckets of clean .45 brass sitting in the garage, and today noticed some "corrosion" on the brass at the top, so it's probably just overspray from something.

But it got me to wondering if I shouldn't do something. A lid for the buckets, something more, or don't worry about it.

I use three or four pound plastic bulk pretzel jars with screw on lids. Been thinking about kitty litter plastic pails with snap on lids and handles. Both of these are easy to move and hold plenty of brass.

I use the 5.56mm ammo cans (same size as the .50cal IIRC). IF they are going to be stored for more than about 3 months, I add in a dessicant pack.

Another deal is to make sure that the final tumble of the clean brass is with media that is dry... no cleaner at all.

Under 3 months, I don't use the dessicant packs... Eliminated all my corrosion probs... oxidation as well... I just opened a can a few weeks ago that had been stored for 3 years and compared them to some I had just removed from the vib machine.... no discernable difference in color.

Gallon ZipLok freezer bags. A thousand forty's fit nicely, and keeping them airtight reallly reduces new tarnish formation. The bags go into plastic storage crates or five gallon buckets. I put the lids on the buckets mainly so I can stack them.

:)

Edited by kevin c

Brass from a shooting session goes into a coffee can. When the can is full then the brass goes into the tumbler. After cleaning I sort the brass by headstamp and put the cleaned brass into .50 cal. ammo cans. Being ex military I have lots of brass. At one time or another I've been issued R-P, W-W, Federal, IMI, TZZ and WCC. Then there is the brass I've picked up or had handed to me at the range.

I've got ammo cans for all. Which brass I use depends mostly upon what I'm planning on doing with the loaded ammo. If it is to a local outdoor match then I use the TZZ, WCC and any mixed brass and tell the brass pickers that I don't want the brass back. For bullseye I use either the Federal, or IMI. I do the same for the rifle brass but on a bigger scale.

The rifle brass ammo cans are marked with what I've done to the brass. Not cleaned, Cleaned, resized and cleaned again, and trimmed ready to be loaded. With 5.56, 7.62 and the .45 brass I seem to have lots of ammo cans under the loading bench.