Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Sport pistol vs Ramshot Competition

tk4

Looking for recommendations for my next powder.  I am running out of a lot of CSB1 powder I purchased years ago.  I have been very happy with it for 9mm.  My normal bullet is a 135 coated Bear Creek.  I'm looking for soft, clean, accurate, and low smoke with coated bullets.   I have tried Titegroup, WST, WSF, and Accurate #2.  I prefer the CSB1 to all of them for various reasons.  Titegroup is louder and snappier.  WSF and AA2 are dirtier.  WSF is a bit too temp sensitive for my liking.  

Any suggestions?

RSComp is softer shooting than Sport Pistol, and slightly dirtier. It’s also not able to reach the velocities that Sport Pistol can without running into pressure issues. They both flow very easily. Personally I prefer Sport Pistol for 9mm and RSComp for 45 and 38 special. 

i have used both. the positive with RC comp is that its usually available,  is light in color and fill the 9mm case well with normal loads.  this helps prevent double charges .  

sport pistol postive is that the velocity was consistant and flowed through a measure like water .  negative to me was the dark color and  the fill.  its not as bad as TG, but its possible to double charge a 9mm case .  Also, its hard to find .

Like Sport Pistol a lot, second would be Clean Shot, third place would be Titegroup. Sport Pistol is a fair amount cleaner and runs cooler than Tightgroup, Clean Shot is just that in my findings, runs clean but take more to make the same speed. Sport Pistol and Clean Shot both seem to have a tiny bit softer feel at the same speed, no science to bake it up, just the way it feels to me. 

On 2/28/2023 at 9:45 PM, floater said:

Like Sport Pistol a lot, second would be Clean Shot, third place would be Titegroup. Sport Pistol is a fair amount cleaner and runs cooler than Tightgroup, Clean Shot is just that in my findings, runs clean but take more to make the same speed. Sport Pistol and Clean Shot both seem to have a tiny bit softer feel at the same speed, no science to bake it up, just the way it feels to me. 

Good to hear the the results with Clean Shot.   I have much more of that on hand than I do Sport Pistol....and it is generally available at my local range, too. 

I'm still working on a load for my Staccato XL but I'll share.  Ridiculously soft shooting and fun to shoot...  Hopefully I can chronograph it this weekend.  Groups at 10 yards and 20 yards, just don't like shooting off the bench.

Gun:  Staccato XL

Recoil Spring:  8 lbs.

Bullet:  Blue Bullet 147 grain RN

Powder:  Ramshot Competition 2.7 grains

Primer:  Federal 100

Case:  Federal

OAL:  1.130

Staccato XL with SRO.jpg

10 Yards.jpg

25 Yards.jpg

Edited by pbcaster45
typo

1 hour ago, pbcaster45 said:

I'm still working on a load for my Staccato XL but I'll share.  Ridiculously soft shooting and fun to shoot...  Hopefully I can chronograph it this weekend.  Groups at 10 yards and 20 yards, just don't like shooting off the bench.

Gun:  Staccato XL

Recoil Spring:  8 lbs.

Bullet:  Blue Bullet 147 grain RN

Powder:  Ramshot Competition 2.7 grains

Case:  Federal

OAL:  1.130

Staccato XL with SRO.jpg

10 Yards.jpg

25 Yards.jpg

2.7 grains?  that load is barely hitting 775 fps i would bet.   RS comp published loads by the factory are very very conservative.   

I know, but I'm cautious!  I started at 2.5 grains with a 7 lb. recoil spring and busted out laughing!  They must have lawyers writing their loading guide - or maybe that guy who writes for the Daily News.  How did he describe shooting an AR-15 again?  Oh, yeah!

"The smell of sulfur and destruction made me sick." 🤣

Edited by pbcaster45
grammar

9 hours ago, pbcaster45 said:

Ramshot Competition 2.7 grains

Let us know if you make PF for USPSA or IDPA. The lowest I can run in a CZ Shadow 2 and make minor with range brass is 2.9 grains 150 grain FP 1.13”

3.1 Sport pistol gives a reliable 132+ PF 150 grain bullets. 

the original RS comp must have been faster than the later batches. on the powder speed chart they list it faster than red dot and i can tell you for sure in my testing its not even close.  it closer to sport pistol and n320.  n320 must have changed through out the years as it seems to have slowed down also in my testing .

I found out I can seat my bullets out a little longer than I thought!  I tried this load out and it was still very soft shooting and just as accurate as my jacketed load with Titegroup.  Weather was too bad to do any chronograph work.

Bullet:  Blue Bullets 147 grain RN

Powder:  Ramshot Competition 3.0 grains.

Case:  Federal (2-Dot)

OAL:  1.140

My jacketed practice load (primers looked a little flat, will switch to Federal brass).

Bullet:  Precision Delta 147 grain JHP V2

Powder:  Hodgdon Titegroup 3.2 grains

Case:  Winchester

OAL:  1.145

A couple of twenty round groups at 10 yards with the Precision Delta load. 

Precision Delta 147 grain.jpg

Edited by pbcaster45
typo

• 2 weeks later...

I love RS Comp. 3.2gn with a 135gn coated bullet is my go to load. 

I recently switched to SW Cleanshot and while it's a good load it's not as good a comp IMO. but it's not an apples to apples comparison. Load is 3.2gn with a 147gn coated bullet. 

Next I'm going to try N320. 

I recently just switched to Sport Pistol after 10+ lbs of TItegroup. I'll never go back unless that's the only thing I can find. I put 3-4k through my S2 with TG and then switched to SP. Last 1k was noticeably better recoil impulse and substantially cleaner. 

I'm a fan

Checked the velocity for my test load today (ten feet from the muzzle and 68 degrees).

Gun:  Staccato XL 5.4-inch bbl.

Bullet:  Blue Bullet 147 gr. RN (.3555)
Powder:  Ramshot Competition 3.0 grs.
Primer:  Federal 100 Small Pistol
Case:  Federal
OAL:  1.140
Avg. Vel.:  854 fps  
ES: 13 
SD:  4
PF:  125
Recoil Spring:  Wilson Combat 8 lb.

Will probably settle on 3.1 grains for my final load.

Oops!  Forgot the Precision Delta load!

Bullet:  Precision Delta 147 gr. JHP V2 (.355)
Powder:  Hodgdon Titegroup 3.3 grs.
Primer:  Federal 100
Case:  Federal
OAL:  1.145
Avg. Vel.:  869 fps  
ES: 24 
SD:  8
PF:  127
Recoil Spring:  Wilson Combat 8 lb.

Edited by pbcaster45

Another vote for Sport Pistol.  Been running SP with several brands (ACME, Bayou, Blue, BBI, Eggleston) of 9mm and 40S&W coated.  Good fill, speeds as expected, minimal burned wire smell, decent accuracy....shoots great.