Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9mm bullets - which to buy?

Ontarget

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 minutes ago, 21 shooter said:

That’s a pretty good group.  I have some 124 grain V2’s to load up and some N330.  How much N330 did you use to get this group?  Going to use it in an X5 Legion and maybe a CZ Shadow.  Thanks. 

Your going to need to test somewhere around 4.7g - 4.8g in the Legion; especially if it's using the stock barrel which usually likes high velocities to get any reasonable accuracy.  And I'm using 1.080" OAL as that was needed in the CZ;  and worked fine in the MAX.

Never got a chance to test the S2 Orange with N330; but it absolutely loved N320 with either a 124/125 JHP or a 147 JHP!  

👍

Thanks Hogrider.  I’ve used N320 for many years with a 147 grain, mostly Bayou polymer coated, with a few jacketed along the way.  Now that N330 is available I wanted to try it as many have said it was great in a 9mm.  

I like the Legion but the accuracy of the CZ S2 is impressive especially for a stock pistol.  I hope they expand the optic ready lineup.  

6 minutes ago, 21 shooter said:

Thanks Hogrider.  I’ve used N320 for many years with a 147 grain, mostly Bayou polymer coated, with a few jacketed along the way.  Now that N330 is available I wanted to try it as many have said it was great in a 9mm.  

I like the Legion but the accuracy of the CZ S2 is impressive especially for a stock pistol.  I hope they expand the optic ready lineup.  

I had great results with N320 in the S2 Orange; 125g and 147g.  In fact, it was one of the most accurate, out of the box pistols I've ever tested!

Just started testing/using N330 last year; and so far I'm well satisfied with the results in the MAX.

My next big challenge will be developing a load/powder combo for the LO 1911 DS that should be here soon!

😁

• 2 weeks later...

I and several other guys in my area use blues for 9 major 125gr 

no issues not smokey doesnt burn them up

and a ton of other guys use them for everything else

they are great bullets load great shoot great

free shipping on most orders 

fast shipping and great customer service 

post office lost my order

blue replaced it no questions no fuss

when the partial box arrived almost 8 mo later i called asked if they would like payment or them back

they said no worries

great great company 

By far, my favorite is the Zero 115 gr conical HP.  Problem is, they just had a tremendous price increase.  With good brass, and 4.3 Gr of N320 I get very good accuracy.

8 minutes ago, Stuey said:

I have enjoyed the DG 124gr with no issues.  I have been looking at the Brassmonkeys and heard good things about them.

IMG_0486.thumb.jpeg.e7e8565e07b46891b10198417e6c6a32.jpeg

if you don’t already have access to a code, you can use JClarkShooting for 5% off your BMB orders. 👌 

Edited by Dirty_J

• 3 weeks later...

Just got a case of 147gr bullets from BMB. I’ve been buying 145/147 gr bullets from ACME. BMB’s coating is as excellent as ACME’s. Grouping is also compatible with ACME’s. I’ll be buying more from BMB because they are cheaper. 

I've been using Everglades Ammo for years.  Everglades Ammo  Shipping is Free/Fast and I've never had an issue with their bullets.  I've used 124gr & 147gr.  Before I started shooting PCC, I would get 147gr.  Now that I shoot pistol and PCC, I shoot their 124gr Concave Recess base.    They also carry Montana Gold.  I've tried most of the major manufacturers from Berrys, RMR, Blue Bullets, Montana Gold & Bayou just to name a few.  For me, Everglades is top notch!

On 5/13/2023 at 7:56 PM, OSP737 said:

By far, my favorite is the Zero 115 gr conical HP.  Problem is, they just had a tremendous price increase….

Yeah,  they raised prices an alarming amount. Might as well buy HAP’s now. 

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, ysrracer said:

Never heard of them.

They were big back in the days of waxed lead. I still have some of theirs for loading .38spl. They shut down just as coated bullets were getting popular, but seem to have recently started the business back up. 

On 6/5/2023 at 3:03 AM, stick said:

I've been using Everglades Ammo for years.  Everglades Ammo  Shipping is Free/Fast and I've never had an issue with their bullets.  I've used 124gr & 147gr.  Before I started shooting PCC, I would get 147gr.  Now that I shoot pistol and PCC, I shoot their 124gr Concave Recess base.    They also carry Montana Gold.  I've tried most of the major manufacturers from Berrys, RMR, Blue Bullets, Montana Gold & Bayou just to name a few.  For me, Everglades is top notch!

Any problems with coating flaking off and sticking to comp on your PCC? I had this problem with Berry's and xtreme plated.

On 6/22/2023 at 11:20 AM, dtuns said:

Any problems with coating flaking off and sticking to comp on your PCC? I had this problem with Berry's and xtreme plated.

No problems at all.

On 6/22/2023 at 8:20 AM, dtuns said:

Sounds like you either have a loading or comp problem. 

• 10 months later...
On 6/5/2023 at 6:03 AM, stick said:

I've been using Everglades Ammo for years.  Everglades Ammo  Shipping is Free/Fast and I've never had an issue with their bullets. 

Thanks for point these guys out, I will be trying some of their plated 115 gr RNs. I wish they were listed on AmmoSeek, with shipping they are an incredible deal. Shipping is such a shock, well not really when you are buying & shipping lead, but having the shipping included gets them an extra star in my book.

One question for those in the know, what is the purpose/advantage/disadvantage of the concave base?

46 minutes ago, FN509Fan said:

Thanks for point these guys out, I will be trying some of their plated 115 gr RNs. I wish they were listed on AmmoSeek, with shipping they are an incredible deal. Shipping is such a shock, well not really when you are buying & shipping lead, but having the shipping included gets them an extra star in my book.

One question for those in the know, what is the purpose/advantage/disadvantage of the concave base?

Not positive on the concave base but my theory is that there is a thinner edge for the bullet to obturate and seal better. Every and I mean EVERY concave base bullet that I’ve used is more accurate or is more easily more accurate than a bevel base or slightly even a flat base. Most of these findings have correlated with 30+ years of casting and shooting.