Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Would you shoot Minor in Open or Limited?

Yagi

Would you shoot Minor in Open or Limited?  

36 members have voted

1. 1. In light of recent Nationals, there has been questions, discussions and all others. A well balanced stages much like in Nationals - Would you be shooting Minor than Major PF?

• Major - Open
    • Minor - Open
    • Major - Limited
    • Minor - Limited

In light of recent Nationals, there has been questions, discussions and all others amongst friends and competitors.

This has been discussed here for many years ago.

A well balanced stages much like in Nationals, would you be shooting Minor than Major PF? 

Fire away!

In those divisions where you can pretty much run anything.   Decent grip technique, even the most basic of work out or physical labor, and I just dont think you gain near enough speed with minor to make up for the points lost.  
That being said, Getting out of position, movement, getting into position and first shot off, has drastically more to do with your time than the difference in splits,, or lost points with minor C hits. 

1 hour ago, racerba said:

an A is 5 points and a miss is -10 points no matter what you shoot...
not taking anything away from Nils...I believe Dave Sevigney won limited using minor loads before also...

I think Dave won limited using major loads. I do think there was a time when he would have won single stack but he went minor and it cost him the win. Seems like he was shooting 164 power factor minor loads. It's been a while though so I could have that misremembered

As far as the poll, if major is allowed I'm shooting it. 

I have tinkered with limited and a minor gun before at club matches and every once in awhile you would have an advantage on a stage with very little movement and 24 rounds of paper. But it kind of had to be a hose fest in my experience. And since those stages almost never happen, minor doesn't make much sense to me.

A stage that had a tremendous amount of steel could also be an advantage to a minor gun assuming it would knock everything over LOL. But for me personally no shoots and partials make major a huge advantage if it's allowed

I used to have both a major and a minor single stack gun, and even though I love shooting the minor gun, I ended up going to only major in single stack as well. It is the only division though that I feel major and minor are on fairly level footing

Edited by RJH

I think Nils is the exception not the rule here. He's shown you don't need major to win- but I'd be willing to bet if he did shoot major, he'd win by an even larger margin. Pure conjecture- but if minor truly was valid in limited, you'd probably have more high level people shooting it, especially with how unpopular .40 has become and continues to become. 

I'm just so impressed with Nils winning despite the, what, at least 5-8% minor penalty?  Beating 2nd place at Nats by that amount is just amazing.  Still, you'd need to be either unconcerned about being competitive, stupid, or getting paid to shoot A fudgecicle nobody but a few crayon chewers and winder likkers want.  Nils winning is a testamant to his skill, not to the validity of choosing to shoot minor in hi-cap divisions.   

On 10/17/2022 at 8:05 PM, obsessiveshooter said:

I'm just so impressed with Nils winning despite the, what, at least 5-8% minor penalty?  Beating 2nd place at Nats by that amount is just amazing.  Still, you'd need to be either unconcerned about being competitive, stupid, or getting paid to shoot A fudgecicle nobody but a few crayon chewers and winder likkers want.  Nils winning is a testamant to his skill, not to the validity of choosing to shoot minor in hi-cap divisions.   

This sir.  Cannot said better myself.  I think people use Nils as an example and try to, for some reason, justify the viability of minor pf in limited division, are either kinda confused or have some sort of agenda. Sure, for those who on the top, they are so accurate and fast major probably doesn't bring much measurable difference. On the opposite end, major or minor won't stop shooters hitting ns, miss shots or forgetting where the targets are. The pack in the middle are the ones who benefited most from major score advantage. Sure, I can think of some occasions when I would rather shoot minor to get that couple of extra rounds, but those instances are few and far apart.