Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What's the final word? 124gr vs 147gr

thegeneric

Seems like the Shadow 2 is the most prevalent CO gun, is there a consensus on preferences between the two specifically for the S2?

I'm switching to the Shadow and having to order bulk ammunition ASAP. I won't have the gun in hand to personally test what "feels" best for me. I'm ordering from SuperVel and picking between their 124gr 1050fps 130pf (they changed this load from 1100fps recently) and their 147gr 900fps 132pf competition load.

In your personal experience in 124gr vs 147gr at similar power factor, specifically with the Shadow 2:

1. Which one has "felt better" to you in your S2? Why?

2. Is one more accurate than the other out of your the S2?

3. Has one been more reliable than the other for your S2?

4. What recoil spring setup did you end up with (124gr and/or 147gr).

5. Does your preference stay the same across all of your firearms? (Ex. You run 147gr for your S2 but 124gr for your Glock, etc.)?

There will never be a final word on this. Shoot both see what you like and roll with it. 

At the end of the day you will not win or loose because of the weight of your bullet or how soft and flat your gun is or isn't. 

That said I tend to be a fan of lighter, because lighter equals cheaper.

22 minutes ago, Rnlinebacker said:

If you want softer "feeling" go with the 147s.

If you want quick return of the sight go with the 124s

Any insight on Shadow 2's specifically? (Reliability/accuracy/etc).

Did you feel that the weight of the gun doesn't necessarily benefit as much as other guns from being "softer shooting", when generally the weight/design of a the S2 is already a soft shooting gun?

5 minutes ago, Racinready300ex said:

There will never be a final word on this. Shoot both see what you like and roll with it. 

At the end of the day you will not win or loose because of the weight of your bullet or how soft and flat your gun is or isn't. 

That said I tend to be a fan of lighter, because lighter equals cheaper.

Thanks! If all ammo/bullets cost the same, which do you think you'd end up choosing?

*due to the fact that my slide is out getting milled and the fact that I'm being offered bulk ammo at a discount this week, I won't be able to test out different weights 

Edited by thegeneric

With any bulk ammo bought from a manufacturer you will want to check OAL.  CZs require a pretty short OAL as I have come to find out.  

I have used numerous different loads for numerous different pistols and do not notice the difference on the clock between 124, 135, or 147 gr bullets.  I am waiting for a holster to start using my CZ, but I doubt I will notice a difference on the clock there. I choose 124 gr because you get more bullets for the same amount of money.  

Edited by Boomstick303

@Boomstick303makes a good point, CZ's can be picky about OAL. Ideally you'd test the different loads to make sure they work. If I had to take a gamble I'd probably pick the 124's as they might be more likely to have a more forgiving shape that works with the short chamber. 

Worst case maybe you end up getting the barrel reamed, or just buy a reamer and do it yourself. It's not hard. 

When it come to shooting, I can feel a difference in different loads shooting them back to back. But on a timer running drills or stages I don't see a difference. 

4 minutes ago, Racinready300ex said:

@Boomstick303makes a good point, CZ's can be picky about OAL. Ideally you'd test the different loads to make sure they work. If I had to take a gamble I'd probably pick the 124's as they might be more likely to have a more forgiving shape that works with the short chamber. 

Worst case maybe you end up getting the barrel reamed, or just buy a reamer and do it yourself. It's not hard. 

When it come to shooting, I can feel a difference in different loads shooting them back to back. But on a timer running drills or stages I don't see a difference. 

This.  Certain 147s and even some 135s are fatter up front and can cause problems when loading for guns with shorter chambers. 

My SP01 shoots 124/125 and 147s the same when it comes to accuracy. 147s are softer but for sure slower to gets sights back on. 

My Bull Shadow 2 shoots 125s really well and cycles pretty quick, but being so heavy its always a push. Very flat with everything. Accuracy with the few 147s I had left over is the same as with the 125s. 

My P10F loves 125s. Very flat and very quick on the recovery.

The BS2 is the only one of my CZs that have an OAL issue, so all my reloads are to a length that works for that gun and the powder charge is set to make PF in all the guns I compete with. 

1 hour ago, thegeneric said:

Any insight on Shadow 2's specifically? (Reliability/accuracy/etc).

Did you feel that the weight of the gun doesn't necessarily benefit as much as other guns from being "softer shooting", when generally the weight/design of a the S2 is already a soft shooting gun?

I shoot 115s through mine at 135pf because the two weights your are asking about return the sights slower, for me.

Having shot limited major for a few years, I prefer a faster sight return. Recoil becomes an after thought eventually

1 hour ago, Racinready300ex said:

If I had to take a gamble I'd probably pick the 124's as they might be more likely to have a more forgiving shape that works with the short chamber. 

^^^^  Yup  ^^^^.  147 gr might require a shorter OAL to fit in CZs.  

I have 124 Gr PD JHP loaded out with an OAL under 1.120 and looks like they will work after performing a plunk test.  

1 hour ago, Racinready300ex said:

I did look into this a bit as I have a ton of ammo loaded with an OAL over 1.120, and I guess the CZ stock barrels are super hard, so they at not so easy to ream.  Also something to consider.  

124 cheaper bullets, but more powder, maybe slightly snappier recoil but faster return to sights.

147 bullets cost a bit more, but less powder, slower return to target.

Realistically, it's going to be an individual choice on what to use.

I can definitely tell there's a difference between 115, 124, and 147, I'm just not good enough of a shooter to be able to take advantage of it yet.

I run one bullet and one load for all of my pistols. I just never saw a reason to attempt to confuse the process and make different loads. 

124gr TC all the way. They're a perfect middle ground and works in everything I have just fine. 

9 hours ago, cheby said:

Are you sure about that?

Though the last (2021) survey result does not list specific Model of Firearm, the 2020 survey does and I think the S2 is still the dominant CZ firearm in Production..........

https://www.dropbox.com/s/mika33rkc7m7mlm/2021Survey_Results.pdf?dl=0

👍

2020_Survey_Results.pdf

2 hours ago, HOGRIDER said:

Though the last (2021) survey result does not list specific Model of Firearm, the 2020 survey does and I think the S2 is still the dominant CZ firearm in Production..........

https://www.dropbox.com/s/mika33rkc7m7mlm/2021Survey_Results.pdf?dl=0

👍

2020_Survey_Results.pdf 1.55 MB · 1 download

Production - Yes.

CO - Not really. The need to remove the dot to clean the extractor is my reason to switch to a different platform for CO 

Edited by cheby

My suggestion is to buy both.  If you don't like one it will be easy to sell.

Personally, I prefer 124s in 9mm for everything, with two exceptions.  For 9mm major I use 115gr JHPs.  For forward falling steel matches I use 147s with about a 140+ PF.  The just work better on forward falling- much faster falling.  Having said that, I just had an opportunity to buy two cases of 9mm 115 Blazer.  I jumped on it.  I'll use it for steel challenge.

To answer your question about choice if PF is the same- 124s for sure.  With slow 147s I feel as though I could take a nap waiting for the slide to cycle.

Edited by zzt

50 minutes ago, cheby said:

Production - Yes.

CO - Not really. The need to remove the dot to clean the extractor is my reason to switch to a different platform for CO 

@chebyYour absolutely right!  I misread the post and had Production on my mind............

I switched to CO and grabbed a P320 MAX as I feel the X5 Legion platform has everything I need and offers an easy way to get in the game!  

Your point about the issue with getting to the extractor is a valid one!  However, referring back to the CO division in the Equipment Surveys I posted still has the CZ platform in a solid second place!  🤔

Sorry if I created any confusion!

:)

On 10/4/2022 at 1:01 PM, cheby said:

Production - Yes.

How often are you cleaning your extractor that warrants a switch in platform? 

17 minutes ago, BigHand said:

How often are you cleaning your extractor that warrants a switch in platform? 

Before any match I care about. Also you should replace them at 10k at minimum. 

Correct answer = 135gr.  Juuust right.

Ran 124s, shot great.  Tried 135s, shoots slightly softer/less snappy, faster dot return, cycles quickly (have shot .12 splits no prob).  Tried a friend’s 147 load and while definitely soft shooting, cycling *felt* slow to me.  Really an issue?  Dunno.

For reference 13# main spring, 11# recoil spring, extended firing pin in both my S2s.  

11 hours ago, cheby said:

Before any match I care about. Also you should replace them at 10k at minimum. 

I use a dental pick to clean the face of the extractor and an air compressor to blow it out. That seems to work great so far. I am not to 10k yet on my S2 but I understand replacing at proper intervals for sure. 

I guess if you're taking out your extractor before every big match, but taking off an optic and torquing back down never seemed like a big deal to me I guess. To each their own.