Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Glock mags

People will hate me for saying it, but ETS magazines have never given me an issue. BUT, you must tear them down and lube the inside first. The raw new plastic needs to be broken in as can cause bullets to get stuck. I've never had to relube them, they just work after that. Why pay 3x the price if cheaper stuff works just fine.

I have Glock 31/33 rounders with TF Goliath +10's and +20's.  I also use a Glock 33 rounder on many small stages, and I start most stages with a 33 and 1-27 rounders with +5 base pads on my belt.

If you not using polymer coated bullets, the ETS 40's work.  I use them for practice.

2 hours ago, JM_ said:

People will hate me for saying it, but ETS magazines have never given me an issue. BUT, you must tear them down and lube the inside first. The raw new plastic needs to be broken in as can cause bullets to get stuck. I've never had to relube them, they just work after that. Why pay 3x the price if cheaper stuff works just fine.

I actually have an ets that came with this gun I just got. Only thing is it doesn’t drop free. Does yours drop free?

2 hours ago, cferree said:

I have Glock 31/33 rounders with TF Goliath +10's and +20's.  I also use a Glock 33 rounder on many small stages, and I start most stages with a 33 and 1-27 rounders with +5 base pads on my belt.

If you not using polymer coated bullets, the ETS 40's work.  I use them for practice.

Does your ets drop free?

I have a bunch of both the "factory" and ETS mags.  I use the ETS mags for competition and the factory mags in my home defense AR pistol.

The factory mags will not freely drop from three different 9mm AR lowers but the ETS mags will drop from all of them.  I have taken the ETS mags apart when new and sprayed the insides with silicone lube ONCE and have never lubed them again.  I use them weekly shooting USPSA PCC and have NEVER had an issue with them ever.  I use the standard 30's, Botach extended base and the 40 round ETS mags and have NEVER had an issue with any of them.

I put the Glock mags in my AR9 pistol because it has 30 rounds and it ain't gonna run out of boolits before I've done what needs to be done in my house......

They do NOT fall free from three different lowers.

I run 6 ETS Glock 17 round mags for SCSA.  I only load ten rounds in them.  I have 3 ETS 40 round Glock mags.  They all ran 100% from day one.  That is more than I can say for real Glock mags.  The only thing I have done to the mags is wipe the insides out when they get so dirty I can't see how many rounds are left.

BTW,  I run these in my Lead Star Arms Prime PCC.  It prefers ETS to Glock or the G??? something that came with the gun.

Edited by zzt
5 hours ago, copterdrvr said:

I have a bunch of both the "factory" and ETS mags.  I use the ETS mags for competition and the factory mags in my home defense AR pistol.

The factory mags will not freely drop from three different 9mm AR lowers but the ETS mags will drop from all of them.  I have taken the ETS mags apart when new and sprayed the insides with silicone lube ONCE and have never lubed them again.  I use them weekly shooting USPSA PCC and have NEVER had an issue with them ever.  I use the standard 30's, Botach extended base and the 40 round ETS mags and have NEVER had an issue with any of them.

I put the Glock mags in my AR9 pistol because it has 30 rounds and it ain't gonna run out of boolits before I've done what needs to be done in my house......

They do NOT fall free from three different lowers.

Interesting all the Glock mags I have drop free but the era does not. I haven’t shot the gun yet so I can’t confirm function t but the last owner said the ets was reliable.

5 hours ago, cferree said:

Yes on the ETS dropping free.  They drop without issue from a GMR-15 with a Techwell magwell and a JP-5 with a TF magwell.

Hmm I’m going to have to get another one and see if the new one drops free. The one I have doesn’t. 

5 hours ago, zzt said:

I run 6 ETS Glock 17 round mags for SCSA.  I only load ten rounds in them.  I have 3 ETS 40 round Glock mags.  They all ran 100% from day one.  That is more than I can say for real Glock mags.  The only thing I have done to the mags is wipe the insides out when they get so dirty I can't see how many rounds are left.

BTW,  I run these in my Lead Star Arms Prime PCC.  It prefers ETS to Glock or the G??? something that came with the gun.

Sounds like I need more ets mags. Thanks

On 9/16/2022 at 12:57 PM, JM_ said:

Downside is can't use a magnetized mag holder.

55 minutes ago, 71Commander said:

Downside is can't use a magnetized mag holder.

Thats true. They dont seem to drop free from my gun so I dont think ill end up running them. Only have one though maybe its worth getting one more to test.

I'm surprised to hear ETS mags have worked for people, I've had consistent feed issues with both the 30 and 40 round versions, using plated bullets. They've all ended up hanging up in the middle for me, or feeding so slowly they cause a jam. I did clean them and spray some lube in there (tried both remington dry lube and wiping with oil), but eventually always had issues again. The smoother surface of the metal inside glock magazines has worked flawlessly feeding for me on the other hand.

Edited by mgkrs

I only use OEM Glock mags. I tried ETS mags when I built my PCC about 5 years ago, and they wouldn't drop free, so it was a no go for me. 

That being said, I have had a pretty consistent occurrence with Glock OEM mags. Over the last 5 years of shooting this particular PCC build, I've noticed I only get about 3000-4000 rounds out of a mag before I have to replace it. The feedlips will start presenting the round way too high and the bolt will catch it and slam the bullet into the barrel extension above the chamber. I started a thread here about it, and no one else seems to have the issue, and no one else I shoot with has the issue. So it may just be something with my exact build (Spikes lower, Aero Upper, JP Barrel, JP Bolt) that doesn't play perfectly together. I have a feeling that the lower seats the mags just slightly too high into the upper and the bolt eventually wears the feedlips down. So I just keep an extra mag tube handy at matches to swap out my mag extension if it starts to happen. One of these days I'll dig up the old mag tubes and take measurements and see if I can adjust them. Or just build a new PCC - which is the obvious answer. 

I have to revise my "they work for me statement".  They did, in a GMR-15 and a couple of PSA lowers.  They feed fine with JHP's or CMJ's in my JP-5, but they don't drop free.

I'll still use them for practice, but I'll stick to Glock 33's stock and 33's with +10 and +20's for matches.

• 2 weeks later...

After an issue with a Magpul magazine at a Match - I disassembled all my Magpul Magazines and lightly sanded the interiors with 800 grit sandpaper then with 2000 grit. Then sprayed dry lube inside. Let dry for few minutes reassembled. Never had problem since (it maybe overkill). I do that now with any new Magpuls that I purchase. Thousands and thousands of rounds with zero issues. 

• 3 weeks later...

I had two ETS mags that I had bought after getting some PCC basepads (TF goliath from a prize table and buying a MBX mini 47 rounder). Had the same issues as @mgkrs where the rounds would drag in the tube and cause malfunctions, and also had issues where it would feed out of the mag and hit the barrel extension of my un-ramped PCC barrel, and lots of issues with the Goliath where the follower would get stuck in the extension.

Standard winchester whitebox 9mm would exhibit the same issues, so it wasn't my reloads.

I bought two 33 round glock mags and have installed the MBX basepad on one, and going to try my luck with those.

On 9/16/2022 at 11:22 AM, TheChef1 said:

What do most people run for PCC glock mags?

GLOCK brand GLOCK mags are by far the most reliable. 

I like the TF 41s for most stages, the 51s for outlaw or >32 round stages and TTI old style standard extensions for reload and stand and shoot stages. 

ETS and MBX puke themselves to death in my experience. Both have design flaws and aren't as well made IMO.