Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Holosun series red dots

usmc1974

I see a lot of people that still using red dots, they have to turn it on, put it to sleep or cover it with some cover that came with it.  I would have thought by now that the holosun solar powered red dots, would have made all others obsolete.

Edited by usmc1974

49 minutes ago, usmc1974 said:

I see a lot of people that still using red dots, they have to turn it on, put it to sleep or cover it with some cover that came with it.  I would have thought by now that the holosun solar powered red dots, with a made all others obsolete.

The only people turning their dots on or off or "putting them to sleep" are open shooters using the old archaic C Mores with abysmal battery life.

The covers have nothing to do with battery life.  Some are to protect the unit from dust to keep the lens clean, others just cover the front of the lens to force the user to focus on the target and not on the dot. 

Holoun red dots are gimmicky and offer no real value.  Their reticles are IMO terrible.  The 2 MOA dot is too small to be ideal for a pistol.  The 32 moa circle and the 32 moa circle + 2 moa dot are too visually busy and make it difficult to stay target focused.  Granted they work well for others.  However their auto brightness adjustment is useless (something I demand on a red dot for a defensive pistol), their controls are so small that sometimes I need a pencil to use them, and the solar panel is a gimmick.  Why is the solar panel a gimmick?  If the sight is on a defensive pistol, that pistol will be most of its time in the dark either under concealment or in a drawer.  If the sight is on a sporting pistol, the sight will be off unless the pistol is out at the range in use.

The RMR on my carry gun is on 24/7 in auto brightness mode.  It never turns off but it dims when the pistol is in a dark place and the adjustment responds very very fast to changes in light.  I broke down and changed the battery at the 3 year mark even thought the dot was as bright as new.  The SROs I use for competition get turned on when I first holster the pistol at the match and turned off when the match is over and I'm putting the gun back in its case.

1 hour ago, Boomstick303 said:

Solar powered, have great windows, 50,000 hour plus battery life and shake awake Technology. I think the dots are awesome, I have no trouble seen it I don't even use the 32MOA. All mine hold a great zero.

Edited by usmc1974

45 minutes ago, usmc1974 said:

I think the dots are awesome

That's great.  Many do not, hence the reason there are a ton of options on the market for all kinds of different applications. Holosuns just like any piece of equipment, they have their pros and cons just as other dots do.  

More dots on the market better competition means better price points for everyone.  

Enjoy your Holosuns.

7 hours ago, usmc1974 said:

Solar powered, have great windows, 50,000 hour plus battery life and shake awake Technology. I think the dots are awesome, I have no trouble seen it I don't even use the 32MOA. All mine hold a great zero.

They’re ok, but I’d prefer some changes for a CO gun: bigger lens, bigger moa dot, bigger adjustment buttons. I do like the green reticle options. 

I have 2x 509t ( 1 509t rd and the other a 509 x2 gr)  and yes would prefer a larger dot size, the rest is fine by me. We don't have CC here so its all for sport (IPSC)  

Edited by terrydoc

I've been running a 507C X2 since September and it's shake and wake feature is great.

It can be off in the holster and on before the draw is completed.

My wife is liking it too.

37 minutes ago, Racinready300ex said:

I think the one they make with the crazy like 300 moa circle is a pretty neat idea for a crutch for those with a poor index. 

300 MOA. Really?

20 minutes ago, GigG said:

300 MOA. Really?

It's something crazy like that. when you're on target it's so big it's not in the window, but if you can't find the dot you'll see the edge of the circle and instinctually know how to move the gun so you can find the dot. 

Capture.PNG

Edited by Racinready300ex

2 minutes ago, Racinready300ex said:

It's something crazy like that. when you're on target it's so big it's not in the window, but if you can't find the dot you'll see the edge of the circle and instinctually know how to move the gun so you can find the dot. 

Are you talking about something HoloSun sells?  Their circle is 32 MOA.

42 minutes ago, GigG said:

I can see where it might be good for RDS conversion training.

Yeah anyone whos serious about getting good probably isn't going to need this, at least not for long. But someone new, learning or that just doesn't want to train it's probably great. I don't personally have a need for it, but I can see some value in it. 

I shoot in a PPC league where both speed and precision are needed.  The Holosun 507C with the 32 moa circle and 2 moa dot meet this need very well.  the circle makes the reticle very fast to find on the draw and the dot allows good precision to center in the X ring.   It's a great combination. 

• 4 months later...

I ve just bought the Holosun SCS MOS for my G34 defensive pistol. I work with him 30 minutes for each 3 days ... combative close scenario and some competition drills in the garage and in the garden....to compare with the SRO for IPSC.

After that I returned the SCS to the store and don't waste time and ammo for checking at the range. I ve reinstalled my former RMR type 2 3.25 MOA.

Pro for SCS vs RMR: price, size, stay lower, very good for sunny day, easy to find the dot for shooter accustom with red dots

Against: no manual adjustment, the dot and circle has a little double image, the double sensors work very bad in my garage with the light on, too little setting button, not combat proven

Edited by Uomu
more info

So many people fall for the Holosun bulls#!t......

Where to start?

• 2 MOA dots are useful in rifles and shotguns, beyond stupid in pistols.
  • The donut and donut + dot reticle just suck your focus to them, not to where it needs to be.  At least for me YMMV
  • Shake awake feature is useful only on a bedstand pistol.  Your optic will be ALWAYS on if it's in your holster as you will never stand still long enough for the optic to turn off.  RTFM.
  • The solar panel is somewhat useful on a pistol that is mostly exposed to the sun.  Completely useless on a pistol that is concealed on you or in your car's glovebox/center console
  • They need the shake awake and solar panel to stretch its tiny battery's life to be anywhere close to a CR 2032 that Trijicon uses.
  • The auto brightness adjust is completely, utterly useless as it never reacts quickly enough
  • They're made in communist china

The RMRs that live on my defensive pistols are on 24/7/365 for years on end.  I keep them on auto brightness mode and they self adjust incredibly fast, almost intuitively.  Because they auto dim when they're under my shirt or in the center console the batteries last, and last, and last.  When I finally change the battery, the sight is within one or two clicks from zero.  The 6.5 MOA dot is awesome and lets me focus on the target effortlessly.  Last but certainly not least, they are made in the United States of America.

Have you used the auto-adjust RMR’s with a WML or handheld in a dark room before? Done low light training with it? 

They aren’t remotely acceptable for defensive use. 

Get a manual adjust and deal with the bloom as you have to. It’s better than a washed out auto-adjust dot when you need it.