Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Pistol Primer Depth Gauge

I use a depth micrometer similar to this with good results:

https://www.amazon.com/Depth-Micrometer-Toolmaker-Milling-Machinist/dp/B01JBDNF4O/ref=sr_1_3?crid=OEFI6TPVC42I&keywords=1"+depth+micrometer&qid=1649461184&sprefix=1+depth+micrometer%2Caps%2C57&sr=8-3

Or as @AHIsuggested, a quality digital tread depth gauge works fine also.

👍

Just now, Rich406 said:

All standard calipers will measure depth…

This.

Use the tail that protrudes from the end of the ruler on your digital calipers to measure primer depth. That is PRECISELY what it’s there for, it’s a precision tool, and you already own it.

I’ve simplified this.  When using a Hundo case gauge I run an MAGNUM fat sharpie across all rows of cases with little pressure.  If the primer turns Red (The color I use) the primer isn’t deep enough and I pull and run thru the seater again.  Also makes it easy to tell my case at the range.

Edited by NoSteel
Text

Might want to keep in mind slight irregularities on the case/rim surface, which are very common with previously fired brass, can result in significant errors in your measurements.  So, unless you make sure the case surface you're reading from is completely flat, your measurements aren't going to be very accurate.

10 minutes ago, usmc1974 said:

WOW,  in 45 years of reloading, I have never gave this a single worry/thought. Set the loaded round on a smooth surface if it don't wobble  primer is deep enough. But this is just me.

Depth isn't critical for what we do.  As long as it's fully seated and below flush, it's good to go.  Really, just hold a straight edge to the case rim and if you can see light between the primer and the straight edge, it's fine.

look around on this forum. you will find several discussions about misfires(fail to fire,). that are traced back to not seating primers below flush.(not just revolvers)

some people just don't understand (comprehend)below flush. they need a number. Then they need a way to measure that. I use a set of calipers to set up my 1050. No special tools needed.you need a set of calipers any way.

OP specifically said he did not want to use his calipers. I use a tread depth gauge to set up crimp on shotgun shells. Could use a set of calipers. But not as easy as it sounds.

That's why I recommend it for primer depth.