Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

2022 Rulebook Released

matteekay

The copy of the 2022 rules I downloaded from IDPA does seem to have the appendixes mentioned in 8.2.1-8. Anyone know where I can get them?

1. 8.2.1  Stock Service Pistol See Appendix A1

2. 8.2.2  Enhanced Service Pistol See Appendix A2

3. 8.2.3  Custom Defensive Pistol See Appendix A3

4. 8.2.4  Compact Carry Pistol See Appendix A4

5. 8.2.5  Revolver See Appendix A5

6. 8.2.6  Backup Gun (BUG) See Appendix A6

7. 8.2.7  Carry Optics See Appendix A7

8. 8.2.8  Pistol Caliber Carbine (PCC) See Appendix B

• Replies 364
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

9 hours ago, GigG said:

The copy of the 2022 rules I downloaded from IDPA does seem to have the appendixes mentioned in 8.2.1-8. Anyone know where I can get them?

1. 8.2.1  Stock Service Pistol See Appendix A1

2. 8.2.2  Enhanced Service Pistol See Appendix A2

3. 8.2.3  Custom Defensive Pistol See Appendix A3

4. 8.2.4  Compact Carry Pistol See Appendix A4

5. 8.2.5  Revolver See Appendix A5

6. 8.2.6  Backup Gun (BUG) See Appendix A6

7. 8.2.7  Carry Optics See Appendix A7

8. 8.2.8  Pistol Caliber Carbine (PCC) See Appendix B

You can find them all here: https://www.idpa.com/new-rulebook-mar-equipment-appendices/

9 minutes ago, RePete said:

Only if you are a member.

I sent GigG the copies.

I'm not currently logged in, and I can see it just fine. 

(Which is good.  An organization that won't allow non-members to see its rules is...problematic.)

The Down Zero Blog is accessible by anyone.

• 2 weeks later...

Another fun thing that a fellow revolver shooter pointed out: the new rule book dropped "or loose ammunition" from the section regarding reloading PE's, meaning now you're only penalized for leaving behind "loading devices" with ammo. So, if you're shooting a revolver with speed loaders, you can *technically* dump unfired rounds out of the cylinder at any time without a penalty. That seems... interesting.

18 hours ago, matteekay said:

Another fun thing that a fellow revolver shooter pointed out: the new rule book dropped "or loose ammunition" from the section regarding reloading PE's, meaning now you're only penalized for leaving behind "loading devices" with ammo. So, if you're shooting a revolver with speed loaders, you can *technically* dump unfired rounds out of the cylinder at any time without a penalty. That seems... interesting.

Dropping too many loaded live rounds on the ground if you are running a revolver will potentially get you to the dreaded "I'm out of ammo!" phase in a CoF.

9 hours ago, Buzzdraw said:

Dropping too many loaded live rounds on the ground if you are running a revolver will potentially get you to the dreaded "I'm out of ammo!" phase in a CoF.

100% agree but it's weird that it's allowed. It would actually be the same thing if a semi-auto shooter racked a round out so they could drop an empty mag to reload. I don't think this is the intention of the rule but it's how it's currently written.

15 minutes ago, matteekay said:

100% agree but it's weird that it's allowed. It would actually be the same thing if a semi-auto shooter racked a round out so they could drop an empty mag to reload. I don't think this is the intention of the rule but it's how it's currently written.

In which case the semi-auto shooter likely would claim "malfunction" if questioned.  SO would not be able to prove beyond a reasonable doubt that wasn't the case.  Shooter's time would be negatively impacted by the manipulation so it's unlikely it would occur deliberately.

On 5/24/2022 at 10:56 AM, matteekay said:

Not sure if anyone else caught this, but loading past division capacity is now a flagrant penalty.

Brb, ordering 10-round G17 mags... Yikes.

You're fine.  Extra rounds in magazines has always been a flagrant. 

• 4 weeks later...

Is there been an explanation as to why SSP went to 15 rounds.  It seems to me IDPA, being a sport, ought to test reloading skills as well as the ability to shoot quickly and accurately.  I have never heard any discussions where the  10 round limitation was an issue.  Stages over 11 rounds forced a reload.  Now only those stages over 16 rounds ie 17 ir 18 round stages will require a reload.  .  Not sure if that makes for progress in the sport.  The term IPSC Light can be heard at my club when the new rule book came out.

Has anyone got a decent dependable and accurate 9MM load at close to the 105 minimum now allowed for in CCP.  I mean really.  Out of my 4,25"/106MM barrels I struggle to get below 115pf.  Even at that level the recoil level is not significantly reduced when compared to say a load running at 130PF.  I get the fact the 380 shooters may struggle to get to 125 with their guns.  That said not sure why anyone would want to carry the 380 pistols for self-defense either.  For me, I guess a move to loading 115 grain bullets might be a way to get down to 105PF.

Take Care

Bob

The sub-minor load I use for GSSF Pocket is still f 118 in a Glock 17

4.0 gr HP38 + 115 gr HAP

4.2 gr HP38 + 115 gr Xtreme plated

I have not seen an explanation of the magazine capacity changes.  

I have seen CoF changes, either an increase in stage length or a downloaded start to force reloads for SSP.  

I tried SSP my last two matches, there were two stages out of 12 that 15+1 got me through.

Phooey, I'd rather shoot ESP anyhow.  I am finding the now permissible loaded chamber reload to be convenient.

Edited by Jim Watson

2 hours ago, robertbank said:

Is there been an explanation as to why SSP went to 15 rounds.  It seems to me IDPA, being a sport, ought to test reloading skills as well as the ability to shoot quickly and accurately.  I have never heard any discussions where the  10 round limitation was an issue.  Stages over 11 rounds forced a reload.  Now only those stages over 16 rounds ie 17 ir 18 round stages will require a reload.  .  Not sure if that makes for progress in the sport.  The term IPSC Light can be heard at my club when the new rule book came out.

Has anyone got a decent dependable and accurate 9MM load at close to the 105 minimum now allowed for in CCP.  I mean really.  Out of my 4,25"/106MM barrels I struggle to get below 115pf.  Even at that level the recoil level is not significantly reduced when compared to say a load running at 130PF.  I get the fact the 380 shooters may struggle to get to 125 with their guns.  That said not sure why anyone would want to carry the 380 pistols for self-defense either.  For me, I guess a move to loading 115 grain bullets might be a way to get down to 105PF.

Take Care

Bob

I have been to matches that were mostly CCP shooters and I'd always hear of a couple guys running something with a short barrel and factory ammo failing chrono. They probably lowered it to try to acomidate all possible setups.

That said, just because it's 105 doesn't mean you need to load all the way down there. Last major I went to I made 133 PF out of a 3.5" barrel. Just put some damn powder in the thing. 

Mike they might have just made the minimum caliber to be 9MM for the sport.  I am finding more and more IDPA to be just a reflection of IPSC/USPSA.  The 2022 RB is much improved though the gremlins run pretty deep when it comes to writing a rulebook.   CCP Division is so like ESP I often wonder why we need it.  A M&P FS can be made to fit in the IDPA box simply by sanding down the mag base on an angle.

For a sport that claims to be "International" the absence of metric measurements is odd to say the least.  The US runs away from the crown in 1776 yet there those who  continue to use measurements based upon the length the King's appendages.  LOL.  IDPA might want to take take a lesson from the US military and move over to the metric system.] or at least provide metric equivalents.  We do after all use 9MM and 10 MM guns.  :>)

Take Care

Bob

Edited by robertbank

A stock gun division like ssp was predicted to die off in the wake of Co's popularity. To make the division have more draw the solution was add capacity. You can't add mods and keep it ssp, so you're only left w capacity to have an allure.

15 rounds just happens to be possible reasonably in most ssp guns. 

I'd have preferred "if the mag and gun fit in the box, that's the capacity your get plus one in the chamber"

41 minutes ago, rowdyb said:

I'd have preferred "if the mag and gun fit in the box, that's the capacity your get plus one in the chamber"

Me too, but that becomes impossible to SO. It also means SSP guns are basically playing a different sport than everyone else (since reloads and reload rules factor so heavily into IDPA).

1 hour ago, matteekay said:

Me too, but that becomes impossible to SO. It also means SSP guns are basically playing a different sport than everyone else (since reloads and reload rules factor so heavily into IDPA).

I'm missing something. How does that become impossible? 

1 hour ago, rowdyb said:

Agreed, you don't have to count to SO stages most the time.

Sure, because you pretty quickly learn where the 8-shot and 10-shot (and now 15) guys run out. Now it could be anywhere on the stage or not at all. Admittedly, it becomes easier with the "one in the pipe" rule change and "impossible" might have been overselling it, but it does add yet another layer of complexity to SO'ing.

I should have put more emphasis on the part about reloading being a big component of the game. I'd be totally fine with going to "whatever fits in the box", but I'd want the same rule for all divisions (including me bringing out my 8-shot revo's). Don't make versions of the rules where some guns have a fixed number and some have a size restriction; that's annoying enough with Prod/CO in USPSA and that's a sport that puts way less emphasis on reloading compared to IDPA.

On 6/28/2022 at 5:54 PM, robertbank said:

I am finding more and more IDPA to be just a reflection of IPSC/USPSA.

As opposed to being a "sport" where there are contrived tactics that mostly don't work in real life, full of subjective officiating, hung up on things (reloads) that are glaringly absent in "real life defensive scenarios", and steadfastly refused to allow valid and safe methods of carry (they still f*#ked that up BTW)?

Sounds like progress

2 hours ago, Johnny_Chimpo said:

Multiply by 25.4

Metric equivalents should be included because of INTERNATIONAL in the organisation name!

The US is one of the few countries that doesn't use metric measurements.

Edited by RePete