Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

2022 Rulebook Released

matteekay

You have to log in to see it, but the new rulebook is up (as well as a comparison document and new match administration rules). I'm still going over it but there are some big gear changes:

• SSP to 15 rounds
  • CCP to 10 rounds
  • Weapon mounted lights now allowed
  • Holster restrictions largely removed (can be further forward on the body, drop offset allowed, no dowel rule) but must be covered by concealment garment
  • Appendix carry allowed
  • More...

I'd like to use this thread to summarize changes and discuss open questions and/or points of confusion in the new rulebook (as I'm already seeing a few). I understand it's impossible to avoid opinions creeping in but let's try to focus on what IDPA can clarify for us as much as possible.

Edited by matteekay

• Replies 364
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One thing I'm finding is that they didn't add many new things but they did amend or excise lots of old rules. For example, weapon mounted lights aren't explicitly allowed; they're just not disallowed any more.

8.8.4 Flashlights -  Only hand held   lights may be used in IDPA competition.

I’m assuming the weapon mounted lights are not okay for ssp since they aren’t in the allowed list. 

50 to 30 yard max distance changed for standards stages. 

Fault lines don’t extend to the stage boundaries. I’m trying to understand exactly what that means in practice. Does it mean you can’t engage 9 feet away from the poc? Maybe some can help me understand this change. 

12 minutes ago, leadaddict said:

I’m assuming the weapon mounted lights are not okay for ssp since they aren’t in the allowed list. 

From the "Equipment Modifications" part of the supplemental deck:

Allowed:

• Disabling storage locks and/or magazine disconnects

• Disabling slide stops

• Lasers and/or lights, provided the firearm otherwise conforms

My favorite is that we no longer have to retain an empty magazine just because there was a round still in the gun!

"3.4.6 Shooters may not perform a reload which results in a loading device with ammo being left behind. This is commonly known as a “speed reload”, and will result in a Procedural Error penalty being issued."

I wonder if 3.4.6 (and the way it is worded) means that a revolver that DOESN'T use moonclips can dump and reload even if they haven't shot all 6 rounds?  After all, no moonclip holds any rounds after it is used, and "loose rounds" are NOT "in a loading device."  Standard revos don't have to retain loose rounds any more?

And yes, there are a LOT of little (and not-so-little) changes in this update.  A lot to look through!

Drop offset also being allowed opens a lot.

IDPA also removed a lot of the mag carrier rules. With it not being restricted to bullets forward anymore bullets out is now in good standings as long as it retains the mag. No more rules on how close it has to be to you, just that it needs to be through an IDPA belt.

4 hours ago, Sniperboy said:

WHut??  "(CCP) Power Factor reduced to 105" this all seems so arbitrary and capricious.

Wow, I didn't notice that first time through. That's mouse fart level loads.

I wonder about how many calibration challenges on the big poppers...

15 minutes ago, Sniperboy said:

Under STEEL CALIBRATION changes:  Should be interesting. 

• A firearm and ammo <95PF, if BUG is allowed

• A 9mm or .38spl and ammo <105PF, if BUG is not allowed

Looks like a "bug" in RB 2022.  Either CCP needs to go to 125 pf or steel calibration dropped to 105 pf for non-BUG matches.

3 hours ago, Thomas H said:

My favorite is that we no longer have to retain an empty magazine just because there was a round still in the gun!

"3.4.6 Shooters may not perform a reload which results in a loading device with ammo being left behind. This is commonly known as a “speed reload”, and will result in a Procedural Error penalty being issued."

And yes, there are a LOT of little (and not-so-little) changes in this update.  A lot to look through!

Unfortunately it will make the SO's job a little more complicated as they will have to check each suspect dropped mag for being devoid of ammo or still populated status. 

51 minutes ago, Buzzdraw said:

Looks like a "bug" in RB 2022.  Either CCP needs to go to 125 pf or steel calibration dropped to 105 pf for non-BUG matches.

Not to belabour the point but I don't think its a "bug"/typo.  Seems like CCP was purposely moved to match with Stock Rev 105PF.  Kind of perplexing this artifact of 105PF is not new.  But hey, obfuscation is part of any game when making up rules : )

Seems like poppers were supposed to be calibrated to 105PF originally for Stock REV, but since it was not a particularly popular division no one probably noticed or cared about the discrepancy in (sub-minor) PF. 

2017 Rules

8.3.1 Ammunition Power
The goal is to compete with commonly available ammunition. The minimum power factors are:

SSP, ESP, CCP....125

CDP...................165

Stock REV .........105

Enhanced REV ..155

BUG ..................95

2022 Rules

1. 8.3.4.1  SSP, ESP, CO 125

2. 8.3.4.2  CDP 165

3. 8.3.4.3  Stock REV, CCP, 105

4. 8.3.4.4  Enhanced REV 155

5. 8.3.4.5  BUG 95

6. 8.3.4.6  PCC 135

Edited by Sniperboy

29 minutes ago, Buzzdraw said:

Unfortunately it will make the SO's job a little more complicated as they will have to check each suspect dropped mag for being devoid of ammo or still populated status. 

I was doing that anyway. Overall, I like that change. I can tell you from doing new shooter orientation that the "one in the pipe" rule was one of the hardest concepts to explain.

11 hours ago, Buzzdraw said:

Life was much too simple when counting in 10s, so why not count in 8s or 15s as well : )

Perhaps the 15 round SSP rule is a combination of "giving the EDC shooters what they wanted" &/or "giving SSP an advantage over ESP/CO in overall standing" but I am sure this will lead to more chaos and resentment.  Not to mention make it harder for stage designers to balance out stage designs if they care about that.

Honestly, SSP shooters (who don't like the 10 round limit) won't be happy until they can get SSP to 17 rounds.  IDPA stages are so small as it is, it will simply just remove the need to practice reloading.

Edited by Sniperboy

8 minutes ago, matteekay said:

I was doing that anyway. Overall, I like that change. I can tell you from doing new shooter orientation that the "one in the pipe" rule was one of the hardest concepts to explain.

I like the rule change in spirit, just makes it harder to check since there is no visual cue (slide lock).  Makes an already esoteric rule even harder to keep track of.  But I get you.  You have to check as an RO, or else don't play the game if you don't like the rules.

Looks to me that in 2022 v.1 which will be coming along in a couple days that the steel calibration breaks need to be at 95 pf if BUG is allowed and 105 pf for all the rest. 

Also appears that a better definition of "legal partial target" should be forthcoming.  To make things simple, perhaps only certain partials, closely defined, should be permitted.  Would hinder some course designer creativeness but would also remove considerable shooter frustration too.

The dropped mag rule being empty of ammo ties back into the rule allowing disabling of slide locks.  We always checked any suspect magazine on the ground before so that's not new.  The new rule makes it more necessary to inspect the mags on the ground. 

Thinking outside the box, why don't we simply allow the shooter to leave mags on the ground without penalty, partly full or not.  No requirement to pick up partly full before last shot.  Makes things much simpler for the SO and shooter.  If the shooter runs out of ammo on his person before he finishes the stage it's a self correcting problem due to scoring for misses and penalties.  Even a SSP shooter, with 15 in his mags, could get into" not enough bullets" trouble when a malfunction or two happened and too liberal sprinkling of the ground with part full mags occurred. 

Edited by Buzzdraw

8 hours ago, Sniperboy said:

IDPA stages are so small as it is, it will simply just remove the need to practice reloading.

I think it will lead to an increase in average stage length, a lot of 17-18 round stages to force a reload even for a 15+1 SSP.  

Early days, we had an AC, Myrin Young, who would not approve an 11 shot stage because only CDPs would have to reload.

Rules have been clarified specifically permitting re-engagement of targets, no movement required, and that you can drop your mags on the table if you stay at the table are welcome. Additionally clarification that tac reloads can drop into your shoot me first pocket. 

15 round is good I guess. I am a simple person and like that its in line with Production. 

As an SO, someone needs to show me the proper way to holster an Appendix Carry as I am not familiar with it. The only time I saw one was an outlaw type match with a girl, which was actually a bit awkward for grandpa me as she didn't have a Tshirt underneath.  

I like that they've clearly defined "stowed":

Spare ammunition is considered stowed when it is secured in an approved carrier, or a pocket. After the start signal, magazines optionally may be stowed inside the belt. Spare or partial devices are not considered stowed in a shooters hand, armpit, mouth or similar scheme. 

It's probably never worth grabbing a dropped mag now since you're not likely to retrieve and stow it in under three seconds. Maybe if it's right before a long transition or something like that.

Question I do have, though---the summary says "Non-shooting actions can not be penalized" and then gives a specific example of:  "carrying an object."

And the new rulebook says (5: Penalty Rules):
"While a procedure may suggest a way to complete a string, the instructions are limited to following rulebook Sections 3 and Section 5 in their guidance with regard to penalizing shooters. After the start signal, penalties for non-shooting actions may not be issued to competitors for their performance on a stage."

So, stages like "must use Object A to (picked up at the beginning) to activate Target B (later in the stage)" now won't work, because the person can just ignore the object and activate Target B with their hand and not get penalized, because that is a non-shooting action? 

Similarly, stages that say "must keep Object A in hand" (for example, simulating carrying something like a child while moving) won't work because the shooter just now drop the object (the child! :O) without penalty because that is a non-shooting action...?

There used to be a "failure to follow the stage procedures" type of penalty---but that no longer exists?  Am I reading that correctly?

That seems like it'll take away a lot of situational things that often occur in stages in IDPA.

1 hour ago, Zincwarrior said:

Rules have been clarified specifically permitting re-engagement of targets, no movement required, and that you can drop your mags on the table if you stay at the table are welcome. Additionally clarification that tac reloads can drop into your shoot me first pocket. 

15 round is good I guess. I am a simple person and like that its in line with Production. 

As an SO, someone needs to show me the proper way to holster an Appendix Carry as I am not familiar with it. The only time I saw one was an outlaw type match with a girl, which was actually a bit awkward for grandpa me as she didn't have a Tshirt underneath.  

You just stick it in the holster, nothing fancy needed. They amended the rules so you can now sweep your legs drawing and holstering.