What Type Of Tumbling Media Do You Use?

PistolPete

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Read this in precision shooting....

After trying all the different media, I gone back to using a rock tumbler with soap and water. 45 minutes brass is shinny like new, toss them in towel then hair drier and your ready to go with no stuff stuck in primer pockets.

Edited by cking

I have been using walnut from the pet store and NU finish.

I use walnut media from the pet store and Turtle wax, because Turtle wax was $.25 cheaper at the Kmart. In any event, It lasts a long time.

How do you guys know how much brass to media? It seems like I always put in too much brass then have to add more media then I am left with an over flowing tumbler.

For my Frankford Arsenal/MidwayUSA tumbler (smaller sized -- looks like the same capacity as the smaller Dillon unit) I start with it about 2/3 full of media. I then use a 3lb. coffee can as my "measuring cup". I fill it about 1" from the top with brass, dump it in and get a get roll from that volume.

One thing that seems to help is I don't empty the media after each session. I leave it in the bowl until the next time I use it. Oh, and just add a used dryer sheet for each run and gently throw the nasty thing away before dumping the cleaned brass. It'll be full of stuff you don't want to breathe or handle and helps the media stay cleaner longer.

• 5 years later...

So I just go into the feed store and ask for corn cob media? I guess there is only one kind?

Yes if A) you have a local feed store and B) they carry it.

I have never found it at a feed store. I get my corn cob from Grainger or drillspot.com. I get crushed walnut from a sandblasting supply shop. I bought a 40 lb bag of each almost two years ago and have used about half of it up so far.

Trust me on this, kitty litter does NOT work. Not even that clumping stuff. ;)

Damn it man.. I WAS drinking a perfectly good cup of coffee;

NOT so good once I spit it all over... :roflol::roflol::roflol:

Shouldn't you be inventing the newest SPAM Delicacy or something,

and NOT making folks waste good beverages..!?! ;):P

(I really miss Hawaii, I'd go ape-Sh_t for a chance to do some shoots there one day..!!)

Brasso contains ammonia which will make your brass brittle and therefore more prone to early splitting.

I pour it in to the cap and let it sit for awhile, maybe a day or so... Then I add it in to the media and let that run for a hour to break up the clumps... My current pile of 9mm and 38 special brass have been reloaded 6 times each with out any issues. Fwiw, I only shoot minor loads and its all range brass....

Edited by howie feltersnatch

Currently walnut + Nufinish.

Leave it in there for however long I feel like. Minimum two hours, i've left it for 48 hours (really just depends on if I remember to get back down to check on it).

Always comes out nice and shiny. I've picked up 40lbs of corn cob and i'm going to try that out now that it's time to replace the walnut.