Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Small Rifle Primers

2 hours ago, WarLeg said:

what loads are y'all running when using SRP? thinking of using these as a temp replacement for SPP's.

Start with your regular load and see how it works.

If you're already on the "hot" side with your load then start a little lighter and work back up, but I haven't noticed a difference.

I am not changing my loads. If I remember right it was over thirty years ago that guns and ammo did a study. SRP had 17 pounds of energy and SPP's had 12 to 15. Magnum SRP's had about 19. I have found SRP give a very nice even ignition in my pistol loads.

Somewhere on this forum there was a rest of SPP vs SRP in terms of velocity and PF.  If I remember correctly there was no appreciable difference between the two.  SRPs usually have a harder cup so may not work in a pistol with lighter springs.  Some of the PCC manufacturers actually recommend using the SRPs 

I know all are saying no problem. Like everyone I got some CCI SRP when things got tough. Tried them in 2 of our PCC's running Taccom Bolts & FP. They worked fine. Tried them in an older BCG that I can't remember where I got, but have had it for years and they were inconsistent. Some lit off every once in awhile they wouldn't fire. Could be worn FP & spring. My advice is to try them in practice. 

gerritm

5 hours ago, gerritm said:

I know all are saying no problem. Like everyone I got some CCI SRP when things got tough. Tried them in 2 of our PCC's running Taccom Bolts & FP. They worked fine. Tried them in an older BCG that I can't remember where I got, but have had it for years and they were inconsistent. Some lit off every once in awhile they wouldn't fire. Could be worn FP & spring. My advice is to try them in practice. 

gerritm

It could just be high primers.

1 hour ago, jerseyglock said:

It could just be high primers.

Not high primers. They run in our other PCC's and have never run in consistently in this one.  Why would you not check a batch of ammo when you change components before running them in a match. Not a good time to find out if they work.

Between the 3 of us shooting we have several 9mm STI's that run SRP with no problems, but our Cajunized CZ's will not run them.

gerritm

27 minutes ago, gerritm said:

Not high primers. They run in our other PCC's and have never run in consistently in this one.  Why would you not check a batch of ammo when you change components before running them in a match. Not a good time to find out if they work.

Between the 3 of us shooting we have several 9mm STI's that run SRP with no problems, but our Cajunized CZ's will not run them.

gerritm

Maybe you want to seat primers a little deeper.