Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Bullets tippy on my 1050 + M7 Autodrive

On 12/24/2021 at 9:09 PM, kmc said:

Thanks for all the suggestions. I now have it running. It may not yet be in final form, but it will now crank out rounds at 2500/hr. I implemented a couple of options above and may implement a couple more. However, the key change was the powder funnel. I simply upgraded to a new MBF powder funnel. The crazy part was that my mic did not see much difference between the old MBF and new MBF funnels but dropping in the new one solved the problem completely. In retrospect, what is interesting is this same setup in my 650 with MBF but with a manual handle was also tipping bullets off the shell on occasion. If I didn't keep an eye on it, it would make a mess of my finished rounds bin since I was using a seat/crimp die due to my use of a powder check. If you want to see video of the current setup and summary, you can find it here ==>

The MBF funnels wear out. I used to replace them every 40-50k

10 hours ago, Rich406 said:

The MBF funnels wear out. I used to replace them every 40-50k

I'm still running the original KISS Bulletfeeder (the forerunner to MBF) funnels in 9mm, 40 S&W, 38Sp and 45ACP since 2007 and they aren't worn out out.

1 hour ago, RePete said:

I'm still running the original KISS Bulletfeeder (the forerunner to MBF) funnels in 9mm, 40 S&W, 38Sp and 45ACP since 2007 and they aren't worn out out.

They absolutely do wear out. It’s very noticeable when using an automated press and coated bullets. Bullets will start tipping and getting shaved while seating.  Replace the funnel, problems go away..

Edited by Rich406

2 hours ago, RePete said:

Same here.  About 250K on one of the original KISS plumbing-parts feeders.  Ordered it the first day they went on sale, but that press loads JHP pretty much exclusively.

Another thing for the 1050/Mark 7 users is to update the software if you haven't lately.  Sometime between when I updated it the time before (likely 2+ years ago) and a few months ago when I did again there was a change in the indexing code that greatly reduced tipping on mine. 

46 minutes ago, shred said:

Same here.  About 250K on one of the original KISS plumbing-parts feeders.  Ordered it the first day they went on sale, but that press loads JHP pretty much exclusively.

Another thing for the 1050/Mark 7 users is to update the software if you haven't lately.  Sometime between when I updated it the time before (likely 2+ years ago) and a few months ago when I did again there was a change in the indexing code that greatly reduced tipping on mine. 

I don’t think it’s as big of a deal with jacketed bullets. 

2 hours ago, shred said:.

What version did you upgrade to? Is there a way to tell what is the current version number?

On the "I agree" page at tablet startup there's a version string at the bottom.  You can get the latest from the Mark 7 support site.

The other thing I noticed was the first screen button text changed from "reloader" to "loader", but it was years between updates for me ("if it ain't broke...") so I have no idea if that is coincident with any indexing changes.

3 hours ago, Rich406 said:

They absolutely do wear out. It’s very noticeable when using an automated press and coated bullets. Bullets will start tipping and getting shaved while seating.  Replace the funnel, problems go away..

At no point did I say that they didn't wear out, I said mine haven't worn out, I have over 300000 rds on my 9mm, about 100000 on the 40S&W, about 150000 on the 38Sp and about 100000 on the 45ACP.

3 minutes ago, RePete said:

At no point did I say that they didn't wear out, I said mine haven't worn out, I have over 300000 rds on my 9mm, about 100000 on the 40S&W, about 150000 on the 38Sp and about 100000 on the 45ACP.

No you didn’t, but you did humble brag about using the same one for 14 years. Strongly implying that they don’t wear out. 

5 minutes ago, Rich406 said:

No you didn’t, but you did humble brag about using the same one for 14 years. Strongly implying that they don’t wear out. 

Absolutely not true, just stating a fact.  You made the assumption.

1 hour ago, shred said:

On the "I agree" page at tablet startup there's a version string at the bottom.  You can get the latest from the Mark 7 support site.

The other thing I noticed was the first screen button text changed from "reloader" to "loader", but it was years between updates for me ("if it ain't broke...") so I have no idea if that is coincident with any indexing changes.

I know where to get my version. I was asking for yours so I could compare to mine. I'll check mine when I get home. I know I can get the latest from their website but I've been unable to find any kind of version control history with changes or tell how my version compares to the current one they have posted. I know too much about firmware updates to just trust that it will be better--in my view, if it ain't broke definitely applies...

4 hours ago, kmc said:

I know where to get my version. I was asking for yours so I could compare to mine. I'll check mine when I get home. I know I can get the latest from their website but I've been unable to find any kind of version control history with changes or tell how my version compares to the current one they have posted. I know too much about firmware updates to just trust that it will be better--in my view, if it ain't broke definitely applies...

Yeah, they aren't good at release notes that I can see either, but Vlieger said it was g2g 🤔  I'll check my version next I get near it.

2 hours ago, shred said:

Yeah, they aren't good at release notes that I can see either, but Vlieger said it was g2g 🤔  I'll check my version next I get near it.

Thanks. I split this out to a separate thread to see if anyone else can weigh in.

My MBF funnel has worn out after several 10K rounds of 9mm as well. It's gotten to the point where it doesn't seat the 9mm projectiles without them tipping over and also getting shaved bullets too. I have since gone with a standalone Lee universal expander with no problems. But I do like how the MBF expands deeper allowing for more of a seating cup than a mouth flare. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/2/2022 at 4:37 PM, kmc said:

We are hoping to have more detailed version notes down the road. 

For the time being, the current software and firmware on the M7 website has been the standard for the respective machines for almost two years.

The 1050 software should open up 3,500 RPH as an option, as well as improve index settings. If you have a 4 stage motor you won't be able to take advantage of the top level output, but it will still improve your index. Depending on your particular auto drive version, we have parts available to get you up to current specifications. 

If your launch button says "Reloader" it is time to update. 

If you have tech questions you can give us a call or submit a support ticket on the M7 website, at this link 

https://www.markvii-loading.com/supports/customer-service-support.html

On 1/14/2022 at 7:01 AM, SSGJohnV said:

We are hoping to have more detailed version notes down the road. 

For the time being, the current software and firmware on the M7 website has been the standard for the respective machines for almost two years.

The 1050 software should open up 3,500 RPH as an option, as well as improve index settings. If you have a 4 stage motor you won't be able to take advantage of the top level output, but it will still improve your index. Depending on your particular auto drive version, we have parts available to get you up to current specifications. 

If your launch button says "Reloader" it is time to update. 

If you have tech questions you can give us a call or submit a support ticket on the M7 website, at this link 

https://www.markvii-loading.com/supports/customer-service-support.html

Thanks for the info. Mine does say "Loader", so I assume it must be current based on your comments. You did spark my interest on your 4-stage motor comment. This unit is on the order of a year old--how do I tell which motor I have?

First I am not saying that MBF doesn't wear out. But. Could it be that it just needs a good cleaning. Just started having issues on a press that has over 100k on a MBF.

After removing it noticed it had a build up of "brass" on it. Under certain light it was brass colored. Not a bur or buildup of any kind. Cleaned it ,polished it, put it back on the press. Adjusted . Works as good as new. I have a spare just in case. But don't see the need to change to it.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...

KMC are you still thinking that the MBF flare die was the main issue? im having 9mm topple between dropper station and seating station after the shell plate stops, I've messed with bullet dropper depth and flare and I can't get it to get any better, just starting to see microscopic brass shavings making a mess of my shell plate. I've got 185000 on this machine and on my second powder funnel. any different ideas then what's in the post?

12 hours ago, jaysrgu said:

KMC are you still thinking that the MBF flare die was the main issue? im having 9mm topple between dropper station and seating station after the shell plate stops, I've messed with bullet dropper depth and flare and I can't get it to get any better, just starting to see microscopic brass shavings making a mess of my shell plate. I've got 185000 on this machine and on my second powder funnel. any different ideas then what's in the post?

I'm not sure what specifically fixed the problem, but I did several things per above and I've since made ~20K rounds without this issue. Without studying my comments above, I recollect making these changes:

• Moved to a new MBF feeder. I still have a hard time believing the funnel wore out but I did have many (tens of) thousands of rounds on the old one. I did clean my old one before I swapped to no avail, but I can't vouch for how it looked microscopically.
  • Implemented rubber non-spill buttons in place of the brass Dillon buttons on the last 2 stations plus a "brush button" after the powder fill station prior to where I run a powder check.
  • Added zip tie "bumper guards" to the press between buttons as AHI showed above (video below only shows one but I do it on everything after powder fill now).
  • Adjusted the M7 timing so that it paused after index--I'm not home now so I cannot tell you the final settings. This change slowed down my press a bit but I believe this was a big factor (maybe the biggest) in the bullets no longer tipping. I can check this when I get home if you'd like to know my settings.

Here is a video where I show a bit of this experience ==>

I have played with dwell both top and bottom finding it makes no difference but I have never played with the index speed, please share your speeds and I might play with that once I get my new funnel,txs

Edited by jaysrgu

Whenever I've had a problem with tippy bullets it basically comes down to setting the flare correctly for that particular bullet.

Is this a problem that happens at low speed as well?

How many rounds per hour are you trying to load?