Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

929 End Cap Mod

Ed F

58 minutes ago, MWP said:

Drill it out if you want to leave it on. Easiest thing to do is toss it in the trash. 

Well there is tossing in the trash, but then I would have modify my snazzy holster or get new holster made, re-crown the barrel. Being a general cheap ass, all the goes against my nature:-)

Ed

IMG_2793.jpg

I get it. The gun does look better with it on. Drill that cap out to 1/2” or larger and blue loctite the screw in with a lock washer. Should be ok for a few hundred rounds at a time. 

8 minutes ago, MWP said:

I get it. The gun does look better with it on. Drill that cap out to 1/2” or larger and blue loctite the screw in with a lock washer. Should be ok for a few hundred rounds at a time. 

That would seem to be the way to go right now!

5 hours ago, Ed F said:

Well there is tossing in the trash, but then I would have modify my snazzy holster or get new holster made, re-crown the barrel. Being a general cheap ass, all the goes against my nature:-)

Ed

IMG_2793.jpg

Who made the holster?

Are these all that poorly fit? I bought a used V-Comp and noticed the "comp" (using the term very loosely) had wear damage on the inner "ring" that's near the muzzle. Or maybe erosion?

I was surprised because I know this is a very low-mileage gun.  

I initially went with boring out the cap rather than removing because of the look without it.  I finally ended up making it where it was no longer an issue (pic).  The unfortunate part is the cap with the comp port is really not needed and has negligible affect on recoil.  The other advantage to redoing the muzzle is most have noted how horrible the forcing cone & Muzzle crown were cut by S&W correcting that helps accuracy.    You can do so much more with load adjustment.  Not having the muzzle caps would have allowed a better design.

2660E2C2-08D1-427E-BE13-A0BE2559F329.jpeg

Edited by NoSteel

2 hours ago, matteekay said:

I didn't realize they were so awful. Other than being kinda stupid, do the end caps affect accuracy?

Yes they will if you don't enlarge the muzzle hole or remove the cap all together. That is what I did, enlarge the hole so the bullet does not touch it when leaving the barrel and it does not lead up like it did prior to doing so. I left mine on so that I can continue using my HOGUE SPEED holster, which is NOT adjustable for different barrel lengths.

7 hours ago, NoSteel said:

I initially went with boring out the cap rather than removing because of the look without it.  I finally ended up making it where it was no longer an issue (pic).  The unfortunate part is the cap with the comp port is really not needed and has negligible affect on recoil.  The other advantage to redoing the muzzle is most have noted how horrible the forcing cone & Muzzle crown were cut by S&W correcting that helps accuracy.    You can do so much more with load adjustment.  Not having the muzzle caps would have allowed a better design.

2660E2C2-08D1-427E-BE13-A0BE2559F329.jpeg

Yeah that is the long range plan

5 minutes ago, mchapman said:

Yes they will if you don't enlarge the muzzle hole or remove the cap all together. That is what I did, enlarge the hole so the bullet does not touch it when leaving the barrel and it does not lead up like it did prior to doing so. I left mine on so that I can continue using my HOGUE SPEED holster, which is NOT adjustable for different barrel lengths.

Yikes. Seriously, S&W?

Is it the same issue with the V-Comp? I think they interface similarly; I guess what I took to be erosion could have been projectile strikes. 

15 minutes ago, matteekay said:

Yikes. Seriously, S&W?

Is it the same issue with the V-Comp? I think they interface similarly; I guess what I took to be erosion could have been projectile strikes. 

Matt there is enough wiggle in the fit and slop around the retaining screw if it gets loose or is not secured in the exact same place every time after taking it off to clean and reinstall you will have issues, so just drill it out larger so it's not an issue.

20 minutes ago, mchapman said:

Matt there is enough wiggle in the fit and slop around the retaining screw if it gets loose or is not secured in the exact same place every time after taking it off to clean and reinstall you will have issues, so just drill it out larger so it's not an issue.

Roger that. I had both caps refinished but the gun still isn't back home so I can probably drill them, have them TiN'd again, and get them back before I need them, lol.

16 minutes ago, mchapman said:

Here is a pic of a V COMP that MOJO worked over for Bruce.

MOJO's work always looks awesome.

Hmm, have the non fined muzzle cap on my 627 38 Super ever since I started using it, like 20-30 k plus rounds ago, filled the void between the barrel end and cap many times but never saw it affect accuracy, just removed the caked in crud with a center punch and a hammer (the OCD in me won't leave it alone)

Can the opening "shrink" enough with fouling to cause an accuracy issue ??  Not sure, I've never seen it, but then I'm not a bullseye shooter.

And sorry, but there is not enough "wiggle" to create an obstruction with the passing bullet, the original clearance diameter is more than enough for the bullet to pass through, let's not be starting any "old wives tales" about that 😆

BUT !!!   if it's loose then all bets are off.

1 hour ago, SSGGlock said:

Has anyone just cut the nipple off with a hacksaw, filed flat and cut back in the crown? I can’t see it being that difficult, especially if you buy the Manson reamers.

Yes.  It takes a little time but if you go at it slow with good tools it’s possible.  That’s how I got here.  Used a bench mill initially on nub but hack saw is easy also used right.

20E07372-F2DE-4717-9512-77C25E7EE017.jpeg

13 minutes ago, NoSteel said:

Yes.  It takes a little time but if you go at it slow with good tools it’s possible.  That’s how I got here.  Used a bench mill initially on nub but hack saw is easy also used right.

Don’t have access to a mill, but do have a portable band saw. I was going to buy the Manson Muzzle Crown Refacing Tool kit.

Edited by SSGGlock

35 minutes ago, SSGGlock said:

Don’t have access to a mill, but do have a portable band saw. I was going to buy the Manson Muzzle Crown Refacing Tool kit.

I just used an 11deg crowning reamer, .256 bushing,  with a tap handle.  Less then $100…. To get rid of the bolt hole drilled about 1 mm deep same diameter as stainless cap screw head for cap,  lock tire it in and cut off/filed smooth. 

Edited by NoSteel