Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

JP-5 reviews/input

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I chose the Techwell because I did not find anything else at the time.

Im very happy with it though. It fits extremely snug, as in no wiggle or movement at all.. Which I am extremely happy about. I have no idea what the fit is like on the Taylor. I like the really tight fit as I used an Arrendondo on an AR15 for a long time. It was secure but there was a little movement. When I finally removed it, the finish was gone everywhere it touched the receiver. I'm certain this was due to the movement slowly grinding away at the anodizing. Rest of the receiver looked perfect.

Finally got my JP5! changed the grip into K2, replaced hand guard by a smoke.

Shot it today with factory 124's, N320 (4 gr) with 124's and N340 (4,5 gr).

Factory = 141 PF, N320 load = 129 PF, N340 load = 132 PF. All with the 70 locking piece.

Factory super, way softer than a GMR.

N320 load felt like a .22... maybe too 'soft' to be fast...

I liked the N340 load most! All evenly accurate by the way.

Overall: best PCC I ever owned, it feels just great.

Next outing I repeat all with the 60 locking piece... TBC

On 1/11/2023 at 12:05 PM, Fasthenk65 said:

Factory = 141 PF, N320 load = 129 PF, N340 load = 132 PF. All with the 70 locking piece.

Did it come with an 80° locking piece installed?

Congratulations, by the way.  I still have a month or so to go on my wait, assuming everything is still on track.

Edited by DwightSchrute
On 1/11/2023 at 9:05 PM, Fasthenk65 said:

Yesterday I installed the 60 locking piece and repeated same ammo. Results:

Geco 124 factory amazingly soft, I can shoot matches with factory ammo, a relief for me when in a rush.

N320 124 load bit to soft and 2 FTE, guess here I would need the 70 to make it reliable, it was also so extremely soft that I loosened my grip/stance and groups widened up. Also bolt didn't lock. Brass was elected slowly and only 30 cm's...

N340 load 124: by far most liked by me. Enough 'spirit' to keep being aggressive, amazing groups, hardly any dot bounce. Based on expert advice from shooters who use the JP5 already for many Months and tested a lot I made this load. Seems they were spot on! 

Strange thing: where with my GMR tuning the comp (to the right, I'm right-handed) was needed. This comp is strait but dot doesn't move to the right at all. Just a little up, that's all.

Splits were .16, not so fast yet, maybe I have to get used to the (great) trigger? 

All brass was very dirty and left this topical marks..

All by all, looking at the weight, no more buffer tuning, relative simplicity, the bolt release on both sides (open start) I love the rifle. Had to use a riser for the 510c with the hogue stock it came with...

Very happy user!

25 minutes ago, Fasthenk65 said:

Yesterday I installed the 60 locking piece and repeated same ammo. Results:

Geco 124 factory amazingly soft, I can shoot matches with factory ammo, a relief for me when in a rush.

This is interesting. I am shooting 124 grs Sellier & Bellot factory ammo with the default 80 degree. I find it very soft, but I have only compared to direct blowback PCCs which is totally different. From the vendors recommendation, I've ordered a 70 to test with. I'm not based in the US, so it's taking time. Hopefully I will get it by the end of the month. But from your results, it seems like it might be worth it to even test with a 60?

Do you find the difference to be very noticeable with 124 factory compared to the 80 lock piece?

45 minutes ago, GrumpyNO said:

This is interesting. I am shooting 124 grs Sellier & Bellot factory ammo with the default 80 degree. I find it very soft, but I have only compared to direct blowback PCCs which is totally different. From the vendors recommendation, I've ordered a 70 to test with. I'm not based in the US, so it's taking time. Hopefully I will get it by the end of the month. But from your results, it seems like it might be worth it to even test with a 60?

Do you find the difference to be very noticeable with 124 factory compared to the 80 lock piece?

On 1/11/2023 at 8:05 PM, Fasthenk65 said:

Interesting - can you give more information about why the N320 load was "too soft" to be fast, it seems counter-intuitive to me

What mags have you folks tried? 

So far it seems at least all lengths of Glock mags work (except g17 10 round not recommended).

I'd like to know if you have tried any other manufacturers and especially if there's any experience with magpul d50 drum with jp5.

5 minutes ago, iddqd said:

What mags have you folks tried? 

So far it seems at least all lengths of Glock mags work (except g17 10 round not recommended).

I'd like to know if you have tried any other manufacturers and especially if there's any experience with magpul d50 drum with jp5.

I'm competing under IPSC rules, så max round count is 32. So for me, the original Glock 33 Rd mags are reliable and cheap. So there's no reason for me to use anything else.

6 hours ago, GrumpyNO said:

difference compared to 80 = HUGE, difference compared to 70 is smaller but noticeable. Factory becomes as soft as 115 PF 130 in my GMR...

5 hours ago, Blackstone45 said:

Interesting - can you give more information about why the N320 load was "too soft" to be fast, it seems counter-intuitive to me

It's like shooting 130 PF 147's out of an GMR, feels great initially (soft) but slow on the clock. If there is a bit more oomph ti.mes go down at least for me.

1 hour ago, Boomstick303 said:

People equate softer recoil for less DOT movement.  That is not always the case.  

At least it has not been in my experience.  

That is true, less felt recoil doesn't necessarily mean less dot movement. But it won't give you more dot movement. And it will give you better control in less optimal shooting positions. In my mind the less recoil the better. Always.

20 minutes ago, GrumpyNO said:

But it won't give you more dot movement

Not sure if that is completely true, at least in my experience.  I think the cycle of the bolt and buffer using a tuned load can create a situation where the dot has minimal movement even if felt recoil is heavier/harder.  I.e. the muzzle returns quicker with a hotter load versus a softer load where the muzzle meanders back to original Point of Aim.  I ran my GMR loads hotter which lead to harsher recoil because it made the dot move less. 

What I have found similar to what you are saying is that when in less than optimal shooting positions, a lighter bolt/buffer  system properly tuned can give you better groups.  When you grip is not on point on the rifle with the lighter system it seems to have less felt recoil and my groups are better.  In other words lighter systems create this situation more than felt recoil.  I am still playing with loads for my JP5 so I do not know if the felt recoil holds true with that platform, but my GMR ran flatter with hotter loads, i.e. harsher recoil.  

I find the JP5 has way better groups when my grip is not optimal in those strange positions.  I attribute this to the lighter bolt/buffer system, more than the felt recoil.  

At least this has been my experience.  

Edited by Boomstick303
42 minutes ago, Boomstick303 said:

Not sure if that is completely true, at least in my experience.  I think the cycle of the bolt and buffer using a tuned load can create a situation where the dot has minimal movement even if felt recoil is heavier/harder.  I.e. the muzzle returns quicker with a hotter load versus a softer load where the muzzle meanders back to original Point of Aim.  I ran my GMR loads hotter which lead to harsher recoil because it made the dot move less. 

What I have found similar to what you are saying is that when in less than optimal shooting positions, a lighter bolt/buffer  system properly tuned can give you better groups.  When you grip is not on point on the rifle with the lighter system it seems to have less felt recoil and my groups are better.  In other words lighter systems create this situation more than felt recoil.  I am still playing with loads for my JP5 so I do not know if the felt recoil holds true with that platform, but my GMR ran flatter with hotter loads, i.e. harsher recoil.  

I find the JP5 has way better groups when my grip is not optimal in those strange positions.  I attribute this to the lighter bolt/buffer system, more than the felt recoil.  

At least this has been my experience.  

My GMR ran flattest when shooting 140 PF (+) 115's with a blitz. The JP5 was flat with all basically but it just felt way better with the slightly hotter load, at least with the 60 locking piece. Many things to learn...

3 minutes ago, Fasthenk65 said:

Many things to learn...

Yea it has just started.  Its already an amazing platform even when not completely tuned.  I think it is close. 

Stupid groups at speed.  Had a double scored as a Mike as the bullets passed through the same hole last weekend.  

Edited by Boomstick303
On 1/13/2023 at 1:19 AM, Fasthenk65 said:

N340 load 124: by far most liked by me. Enough 'spirit' to keep being aggressive, amazing groups, hardly any dot bounce. Based on expert advice from shooters who use the JP5 already for many Months and tested a lot I made this load. Seems they were spot on! 

I’ve never used N340, but your assessment has inspired me to order some and give it a try.

• 2 weeks later...