Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Red dot hits conundrum....

nagantino

I bought a CZ Shadow2 recently, optics ready, but didn’t bother fitting my red dot sight. I decided to give it a go and fitted a Vortex Venom. At the range it hits well, uncanny really, so I was happy. 
I’m just back from an IPSC match with varied results. 
The gun was hitting low on every target, misses in fact, at medium and longer ranges, say from 5 yards to 15 yards. By the 3rd stage I had learnt to aim high on the target and suddenly I was dropping steel and hitting double alpha. 
I thought the idea of RD was precision. Do I have a zeroing problem?

RJH, yes that might be it. I’m still getting to grips with the RD so more practice maybe. When the penny dropped yesterday, I was getting good hits by aiming high. Considering this, is there any adjustment to the RD that’s  practical?

18 hours ago, nagantino said:

I bought a CZ Shadow2 recently, optics ready, but didn’t bother fitting my red dot sight. I decided to give it a go and fitted a Vortex Venom. At the range it hits well, uncanny really, so I was happy. 
I’m just back from an IPSC match with varied results. 
The gun was hitting low on every target, misses in fact, at medium and longer ranges, say from 5 yards to 15 yards. By the 3rd stage I had learnt to aim high on the target and suddenly I was dropping steel and hitting double alpha. 
I thought the idea of RD was precision. Do I have a zeroing problem?

At what distance did you zero the sight when you first installed it on the gun?

Go back to that same distance and shoot the pistol at a well defined point of aim.  Use a bench rest of some sort if you need to.

If it the gun doesn't hit in the same spot as before, the sight is broken (lost zero).  If it does, your marksmanship needs help.

27 minutes ago, SGT_Schultz said:

If it the gun doesn't hit in the same spot as before, the sight is broken (lost zero).  If it does, your marksmanship needs help.

Or, one of the screws may have come loose. I snapped the head off one of the screws holding the mounting plate to the slide of my Glock MOS last week at a match. The red dot was mounted to the plate, but the plate and site combo was wiggling. When I got it home and removed the dot I saw the snapped screw head. 

Also, you should understand about bullet trajectory and after you mount the dot, and chrono your ammo, and measure the dot height above the bore, you can plot a bullet trajectory curve to help you decide the best range to zero the gun. I think you’ll find that somewhere in that 10-20yard range works such that over a long distance (for pistols), you will always be hitting within 1” above or below you point of aim which should be plenty good enough. 

28 minutes ago, SGT_Schultz said:

Who is we?  Do you have to hide what you do for fun?

I’m sure there are LEO, government agencies that prohibit such things

every red dot I have owned has had a period of 'settling in' and needing to be re-zeroed.  One of them took a couple hundred rounds, but most stop moving in 50 or so. I advise re-zero-ing it at 18-20 yards and see what happens.

6 hours ago, SGT_Schultz said:
6 hours ago, SGT_Schultz said:

Who is we?  Do you have to hide what you do for fun

Small country, not USA. Film all you want but no posting on social media. You would be asked to leave the club and

therefore forfeit your firearms.

I went to the indoor range today and sighted up the RD. It was a little low. At a reasonable IPSC distance of 20 or 15 yards I think the hits would be significantly below the target. It’s raised now so next week’s competition will tell. Thanks for the advice.

Blue Loctite your screws.

Mark your screws this will help you see if the screw are getting lose and keep them marked.

Zero with a rest. I zero at 25 yards with the impact directly where the dot is sitting. 

Turn down your brightness on the dot when zeroing. Get it as dim as you can while still being able to see the dot while you zero.

After zero (bump up the brightness to your liking) run a A zone target close to far until you get back out to 25 yards. Check your screws on your red dot.

This is just a suggestion and has worked for me. Good luck.

• 1 month later...

@nagantino

wow.. I came here looking for similar issues and this is mine.   I have a Sig p320 x5Legion with Romeo1pro.   Bench bag 18yrd and money every time.  In a match what I find is I am shooting low on the targets to my left where I draw up from right to left.  My center and right targets I tend to shoot successfully.

I literally took 4 shots at one target and even slightly paused for aim and had red dot in dead center at only 12yrd and shot right below the plate.  Rest of match I aimed top of plate to hit slightly below center.

I am all new to Steel Challenge and I feel my issue may be related to body movement (not turning at hips etc) and slapping the trigger.  Clearly when I run a string and don't care about time and try to hit each plate I do.. lol.. so  like @RJH said, it's trigger control at speed... Now.. recommendations on fixing that? 

Thanks

mike

On 9/13/2021 at 3:23 PM, Momoz said:

@nagantino

wow.. I came here looking for similar issues and this is mine.   I have a Sig p320 x5Legion with Romeo1pro.   Bench bag 18yrd and money every time.  In a match what I find is I am shooting low on the targets to my left where I draw up from right to left.  My center and right targets I tend to shoot successfully.

I literally took 4 shots at one target and even slightly paused for aim and had red dot in dead center at only 12yrd and shot right below the plate.  Rest of match I aimed top of plate to hit slightly below center.

I am all new to Steel Challenge and I feel my issue may be related to body movement (not turning at hips etc) and slapping the trigger.  Clearly when I run a string and don't care about time and try to hit each plate I do.. lol.. so  like @RJH said, it's trigger control at speed... Now.. recommendations on fixing that? 

Thanks

mike

Bill Drill.

6 shots at Alpha as fast as you can. The goal is to see the sights every single time instead of just pulling the trigger as fast as you can.

The times depend on your level but a two second bill drill at 7 yards is a good run. I try to push 1.8 with my open gun while my PB at 25 metres is slightly over 2.9 all alphas.