Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Standard vs variable recoil springs

lroy

I've got times I prefer them, it depends on the cartridge and the gun. I like them on my .45s. In .40 and 9 I can take them or leave them. Practically other than "that feels better" which can be totally in one's head, I have found a couple practical uses that can justify them. 

1) When you have issue racking the slide, but going to a lower spring rate is not an option for whatever reason. I find a lot of people have less issue with higher weights if they can get the slide moving easier. For me I have one gun in a slick finish on a fairly polished surface, and it will always have a variable rate because of sweat and summer time. 

2) If you have spring stacking going on and have to clip coils, you can clip a variable rate spring at the light end and not really reduce spring weight much. I've only really done a few coils this way during my dark days of indulging in recoil buffer voodoo, so it may be less meaningful than I imagine. 

13 minutes ago, lroy said:

I see. My question was more about the differences between them. Using them because a guy said to doesn't clarify much.

Do you have a gun built for you by a builder? My gun builder is not just some guy when it comes to what is best for my guns. LOL

I don't think there's a huge difference, but I prefer standard springs over variable.  I want the spring to work at max capacity from the start, and not get progressively stronger as the slide moves back through the cycle.  To me, standard springs provide a better and more even recoil impulse.  But, a lot of other factors come into play here.  So, it's really personal preference.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Based on how Variable Springs work, I would say they would be a terrible choice for a striker fire pistol, where the variable spring's weakest spring rate will be right when you want it to be strongest- when the slide is forward, to keep the barrel locked up.  I can see how a variable would be a good choice for people like me that use a very low power recoil spring with major PF loads.  Maybe they would slow the slide down a hair more before it gets all the way back, and extend the life of the pistol.  But I'll wait till I break a frame to mess around with variable springs, because I really like how my pistol behaves now. 

I will say this though, generally gun builders and spring manufacturers' recommendations on springs seem to have way more to do with extending the life of the pistol and less to do with optimal performance.  We're racing guns here, so the only real consideration from that perspective is how fast your sights return.  For most shooters that would be a RS so low that the manufacturer would be pulling their hair out over your choice.  

• 1 year later...