Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Finally decided to reload 9mm......

Cherokeewind

Been reloading many years but recently decided to start reloading 9mm on my single stage press (RCBS Rockchucker).

Most of my die sets are RCBS with a few Hornady sets.  Given a choice, should I go with RCBS or Hornady Custom or something else?

Loading for Glock Gen 5 G34.

Thanks,

Jim

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

19 minutes ago, AGGIE85 said:

I will give you some advice an old timer gave me when I first started reloading pistol on a rock chucker.  If you are married and want to remain married get yourself a progressive reloading press.

😂😂😂I like it

2 hours ago, Cherokeewind said:

Been reloading many years but recently decided to start reloading 9mm on my single stage press (RCBS Rockchucker).

Most of my die sets are RCBS with a few Hornady sets.  Given a choice, should I go with RCBS or Hornady Custom or something else?

Loading for Glock Gen 5 G34.

Thanks,

Jim

Asking witch kind of press to get on Enos forum is like asking what kind of Ford to get on a chevy truck forum 

Not asking about the press..........looking for experience with different brands of 9mm dies.

And I don't need advice about trucks made by Govt. Motors:)

Edited by Cherokeewind
added info.

4 hours ago, AGGIE85 said:

I will give you some advice an old timer gave me when I first started reloading pistol on a rock chucker.  If you are married and want to remain married get yourself a progressive reloading press.

Yes

I have a mix of dies that I’ve collected and use. Whatever you have loaded in the past just know the 9mm is a picky PITA compared just about anything else. Now that’s out of the way, I use a RCBS or Lee sizer, Lyman “M” die expander, and either a Lee or RCBS seater and either a RCBS crimper or Lee Factory Crimp Die. It all depends on what bullet and brass combo I’m loading. With .356 lead/plated coated or not, use std crimp die. With .355 jacketed, go with the Lee FCD. Just my 2 cents. 

7 hours ago, Farmer said:

I have a mix of dies that I’ve collected and use. Whatever you have loaded in the past just know the 9mm is a picky PITA compared just about anything else. Now that’s out of the way, I use a RCBS or Lee sizer, Lyman “M” die expander, and either a Lee or RCBS seater and either a RCBS crimper or Lee Factory Crimp Die. It all depends on what bullet and brass combo I’m loading. With .356 lead/plated coated or not, use std crimp die. With .355 jacketed, go with the Lee FCD. Just my 2 cents. 

Thanks for the helpful comment.

One reason I haven't loaded 9 yet is because of the "PITA" features of the case....... 

I don't find 9mm to be too much of a pain. For my guns, it's the opposite of 45. 45 can't be too short, 9 can't be too long. 

Just find a workable length, and you're good. Straight wall cases are nice and straight forward (even if it's a tiny bit tapered). 

I like my Lee dies. The ones I bought 10 years ago are better made than the new ones, but they're all fine. I rechamfered mine for my Lee progressive and they function much smoother now, but they never were an issue in a single stage. 

On 6/6/2021 at 6:44 PM, AGGIE85 said:

Isn't that the truth. I got started on a RockChucker. It was a great way to learn reloading. But I cannot imagine going back to one for anything other than odd calibers that see little action in my guns.

19 hours ago, Steve RA said:

I use Lee 9mm and have no problems with them or the ammunition they produce.

Same here. I've used Dillon, RCBS, Redding and Lee. I cannot say that I've ever noticed a difference. Maybe it would matter for precision rifle. But I've never shot that, so I have no idea.

8 minutes ago, tbarker13 said:

Isn't that the truth. I got started on a RockChucker. It was a great way to learn reloading. But I cannot imagine going back to one for anything other than odd calibers that see little action in my guns.

I still have mine (junior 2). Every once and a while I get a wild hair and load up some .38 special to plink with my 66. But yeah, can’t imagine loading competition quantity on it.

1 minute ago, Mcfoto said:

I still have mine (junior 2). Every once and a while I get a wild hair and load up some .38 special to plink with my 66. But yeah, can’t imagine loading competition quantity on it.

I'd stop competing at all if I had to load on a single stage press. I use my RC for 44-40 and a few other oddball calibers. 

2 minutes ago, Mcfoto said:

A little off topic, but which 66 do you have? I've been shopping around for a 66 or 73, but can't decide which one. I'll probably go with 44-40, just to match my Colt SAA in the same caliber.

14 minutes ago, tbarker13 said:

A little off topic, but which 66 do you have? I've been shopping around for a 66 or 73, but can't decide which one. I'll probably go with 44-40, just to match my Colt SAA in the same caliber.

66-8, current model. 

• 4 months later...

Most factory 9mm barrels have fairly generous chambers, and I've never heard of a tight Glock chamber.  My G34 isn't very picky, any well-made reload runs reliably through it.  IMHO any good quality die set will work for you.  Suggestion: even though it's a carbide or titanium-coated sizing die, consider using something like One-Shot lube on your brass for sizing.  It will make things MUCH more smooth!  I use a mix of liquid Lanolin and HEET and it works great.

1 hour ago, johnjohn said:

Just started 9mm. Thank goodness I didn't start this thing at the beginning.

Why?

Personally I find reloading rifle, especially with precision in mind, takes a whole lot more attention.

I think what surprises people with 9mm, at least it did for me, is the variety of OGIVEs and how much they effect OAL on different barrels.