Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Choke tube choice for 3 gun

I’m shooting my first 3 gun match next weekend and I’d like to see what the preferred choke tube choices are. 

Thanks!  ken

Edited by Kenj59

It really depends on the targetry at the match, your gun, and your load. In my tacops shotgun I run Diffusion about 50% of the time. If there are heavier plates or further shots or slug steel I'll put in light mod. I will occasionally use improved mod if there's a spinner a bit further out or a plate rack with heavy plates leaning way forward. I use Xtra full if there is no shoot steel mixed in. 

Choke choice is really something that comes with experiencing the various targets and scenarios at matches. For your first match just use something in the mid range and you'll be okay. 

Stoeger M3K. It was supposed to come with a modified and IC, I got two IC with it instead. I ordered a modified just to get in the middle per Blockader’s suggestion and will order am improved modified next.

Edited by Kenj59

Since this is your first 3 gun match, just put the modified choke in and leave it.  You will have a lot more to worry about than saving half a second by using this, that or the other choke.  If you don't get the modified choke in time, just put the IC in, be safe, and have fun.

Nolan

6 hours ago, Nolan said:

Since this is your first 3 gun match, just put the modified choke in and leave it.  You will have a lot more to worry about than saving half a second by using this, that or the other choke.  If you don't get the modified choke in time, just put the IC in, be safe, and have fun.

Nolan

This... 

I have the M3k and it's supposed to come with 3 chokes. I forget what the names are but they have 3,4 and 5 notches cut into the end of them. The 3 chokes that come with it are really all you will ever need. You should call Stoger and they should ship them to you for free. I believe the 5 notch is cylinder and they get tighter with less notches. If you enjoy the match and want to stick with it you need to take the time to pattern each choke at every distance. 

I just shot a match last weekend and went between spreader and IC.  Here in the Carolinas I have occasionally used tighter than LM, but rarely.  I would suggest patterning your chokes at various distances.  If you switch brands you may likely learn not all brands pattern as well as others.  I see where your slugs shoot.  Some peoples guns shoot left or right or high with slugs.  I have adjustable sights.

I have CYL,IC,LM  and LF.   IC is my default choke( it stays in the gun most of the time).

LM is used when their are a lot of pepper poppers and targets are getting close to 25 yards.

LF is used for the newer magnetic attached plates on some Irish plate racks and Texas stars.

Being this is your first match ear on the tight side. Modified.     Patrick Kelley put out a article

several years ago and recommends Light Mod as a default choke. IE put it in and leave it.

A lot depends on haw you shoot and target presentation. You need to understand how the shells

you use work. We have had stages were if you could you needed 3 different chokes. changing shells

can give you a tighter or more open pattern.

Depends on what flavor your matches are. Locals and majors in my area make extensive use of pipes on stands for targets. 2-4" in diameter, maybe 8-12" tall and sometimes 5/16" wall thickness. Them suckers are heavy and any sadistic MD worth his salt will place them at 25 yards. EF is the answer, myself and everyone I know has been burned trying them with IM. The same stage will probably have multiple aerial clays just to make sure the EF choke hurts as much as it helps.

LM and Skeet are the two I use the most depending on targets. If there's lots of clays I use the skeet, stages weighted towards steel and slugs = LM.

And in the case of some really stubborn steel like Tony mentions, LM with a few high brass seems to work for me. Always have a box of high brass just in case. Those 1050 fps powder puff loads we all love so much sometimes just don't cut it.

33 minutes ago, Boomstick303 said:

What is this exactly?  A type of shotgun load?

Yes, more powerful than the standard low brass loads commonly used for their mild recoil.

Edited by mpeltier

• 1 month later...