Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

CZ Custom optics cut

fyaman43

Considering getting this done for my Shadow 2s...  

Seems like CZ Custom is a great way to go as you aren't limited to one optic (but do have to contend with plate availability) vs. direct mounting.  Also like the idea of being able to still run an iron sight in the rear.  

Anyone out there have this done?  Happy with it?  

Edited by fyaman43

I have it on my S2's and my S1's.  I love the setup since it gives me the flexibility to change sights.  They mill it so low, that the added thickness of the plate doesn't make the optic too high.

How the slide is cut.

rear sight plate on left optic plate on right.

on some smaller dots,  will be gap between slide and dot body.

798291965_Shadow2RDSShadow.thumb.jpg.3f0005f5728819ad2deb8c7dc23201ea.jpg

R3Max and R3Xl dot body it bigger than cut. so plate is tall.

Seems to work well from those that are using it.

71780801_RDSRomeo3MAX10628IMG_9769.thumb.jpg.46fe3642df6089e73e8f807f945b053a.jpg

I have a CZ 75 Bull Shadow from Stuart/CZC and when I purchased it had Stuart do the optic cut. Excellent work, beautifully finished and the CZC plates fit perfectly as does the cover plate. 

Originally mounted a Vortex Venom and now have a Sig Romeo1 PRO mounted and it is my favorite optic.

I shoot this gun far better than any of my 1911s or Sigs. What's not to like???

I almost went with the CZC plate system. They even offer steel plates now instead of the aluminum. Weigh a fraction more but no worries on pulling the threads on those small optic screws while torqueing them. But the gap in the front bothered me from both an aesthetic and function view point (easier to come loose when not held tightly by the cut). I also want the optic as close to the bore as possible, so raising with a plate just did not speak to me. Not casting aspersions on CZC. They do great work. Just my thoughts on it. 

I ended up going with CGW and got a direct cut for the Trijicon RMR/SRO. Very happy with the setup. Not as flexible, but most are pretty happy with the Trijicon options. 

Edited by jejb
typo

1 hour ago, SGT_Schultz said:

That's what the recoil bosses on the plate are for

Yeah, I know. But I've seen a lot more of that type come loose than when the optic is tight in a pocket. 

9 hours ago, jejb said:

Yeah, I know. But I've seen a lot more of that type come loose than when the optic is tight in a pocket. 

I hear that all the time: milled in is better than adapter plate.  Anecdotal observations aren't enough to establish cause and effect.  Not for me, anyway.

Interestingly enough I have pistols with both mounting systems and I have never had a sight come loose.  I also don't follow the internet dogma on RDS screw torque and vibratite.

Edited by SGT_Schultz

I also have guns with both, and I have had properly torqued optics come loose on the open ones. 

But again, not running down CZC's work here. Just offering up a different opinion/viewpoint. I would for sure opt for their newer steel adapter plates, though. 

On 6/3/2021 at 5:31 AM, pcar157 said:

I have a CZ 75 Bull Shadow from Stuart/CZC and when I purchased it had Stuart do the optic cut. Excellent work, beautifully finished and the CZC plates fit perfectly as does the cover plate. 

Originally mounted a Vortex Venom and now have a Sig Romeo1 PRO mounted and it is my favorite optic.

I shoot this gun far better than any of my 1911s or Sigs. What's not to like???

Oh and I should add, just under 7,000 rounds with this gun/red dot and not one hiccup from the gun, red dot mount (alum plate) or red dot itself.  CZC is awesome.

I’ve got the CZC RDS cut on both my Bull Shadow and SP01, both have been great with zero issues over the last 2.5yrs. I’ve even taken the dot off a few times and never lose zero on them. Highly recommend it, for the main reason of not being stuck with one type of dot.

^ Bought a 2nd S2 slide and I'll be doing just that (alternating between Prod and CO).  Really stoked that I can use my AccuS2 frame and its sweet trigger for a CO setup.  

Just sent my stuff in for the RDS cut and steel plate.  I like the DPP but it looks like the CZC cut sits low (enough) and having the flexibility is a big plus.  Excited to see how it turns out.

Seems like a no brainer IMO at least.  I have the plate system on my S1.  Yes SRO's are the hot setup now, but in 2-3 years there could be a new and better design from another company.

I will say, the aluminum plates are soft.  I bought a used one when CZC didn't have them in stock and the thing was beat up and stripped.  Probably user error, but the steel ones feel much better to me.

I bought a CZ SP-01 Shadow 1 Optics Ready direct from CZC; I found the plates I needed on their website and on BSPS.  The system works very well - the plates slide in with a tight fit so just a little bit of filing was required for me.  The entire set up has a very good fit and finish; I have a 2.5 SRO on it and it still sits fairly low.

• 7 months later...

I have an AO-1 with the RDS plate installed,  however after approximately 2,000 rounds the plate is loose.  I had torqued the screws to 10'#'s and used Vibra-tite VC-3 on the threads.  What did you all use for the torque and thread lock?  Thanks