Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Powder/gas with no holes

B_RAD

I got a Honcho and I’ve loaded up some #7 (9.8gr) and some CFE (7.2 gr). 9major and loading a 124 PD JHP V2 @1.165”

I’m noticing the #7 might be a tad flatter, but it also dips down. 

Would it make sense to say that the more gas is causing this?

Of course this is an awful time to be trying to develop a new load for a new gun/div but I’m bored so...  

thoughts?

dipping on slide closing? you can probably tune that out with a lighter recoil spring. if you want to go down a deeper rabbit hole you can change the main springs and firing pin stop shape, this combined with bullet weight and powder choice give a bazillion options to get the feel and return you like the best, its unlikely that the timer will show much difference once you find a reliable load that functions 100% and practice with it, but you know that from CO 

19 minutes ago, Sarge said:

When is it dipping down? If late in the cycle it’s probably the recoil spring is too heavy. Shouldn’t need more than an 8 pounder.

18 minutes ago, MikeBurgess said:

dipping on slide closing? you can probably tune that out with a lighter recoil spring. if you want to go down a deeper rabbit hole you can change the main springs and firing pin stop shape, this combined with bullet weight and powder choice give a bazillion options to get the feel and return you like the best, its unlikely that the timer will show much difference once you find a reliable load that functions 100% and practice with it, but you know that from CO 

thank you for the suggestion.

I’m using a 6lb. 

but yes. It does seem to be doing it at the end of the slide cycling.  Though, I’m new to this gun and haven’t gotten the time behind it to really tell what’s going on, or if it’s going to be an issue. 

Edited by B_RAD

4 minutes ago, Aircooled6racer said:

Hello, try an 8lb spring and see how it does. Also try some 115's if you have some. I like 115's more than the 124's. 121's for IPSC works well. Thanks, Eric

Thanks. 

36 minutes ago, B_RAD said:

thank you for the suggestion.

I’m using a 6lb. 

but yes. It does seem to be doing it at the end of the slide cycling.  Though, I’m new to this gun and haven’t gotten the time behind it to really tell what’s going on, or if it’s going to be an issue. 

A 6 is too light for major loads. I think guys run those for minor. I ran a 7 with major loads for a short time. Gun was really flat but after a few matches the gun got dirty enough to have an occasional stoppage. I now run Wolff 8# variable and it will power through dirt and gunk.

13 minutes ago, Sarge said:

A 6 is too light for major loads. I think guys run those for minor. I ran a 7 with major loads for a short time. Gun was really flat but after a few matches the gun got dirty enough to have an occasional stoppage. I now run Wolff 8# variable and it will power through dirt and gunk.

Idk I’ve seen guys running 7 with 10 coils cut. Not me but I’ve seen it. He was also a champ an 10 x better than me

1 minute ago, 36873687 said:

Idk I’ve seen guys running 7 with 10 coils cut. Not me but I’ve seen it. He was also a champ an 10 x better than me

Yeah. It might be an 8#?  It came with the gun. It’s what PT out in it. Just can’t remember. 

Hello, I like 8lb or 9lb ISMI recoil springs for my 9mm open pistols. They will work every time even when a little dirty. You won't have any feeding problems with the 8 or 9. If the pistol is built right a 8lb will work for minor loads also. Thanks, Eric

16 minutes ago, UpYoursPal said:

PT includes a  6# spring with the Honcho for major loads.  It seems very unlikely that such a light spring would be causing muzzle dip at the end of the cycle.

My uneducated guess is all the gas is going up thru the ports and actually thrusting the muzzle down. 

2 hours ago, Sarge said:

'Tis not the spring. It is not too light. The Honcho is set up for major with a 6# variable spring.  Not sure if any of the PT sponsored shooters are here to chime in.

I think it more likely your are applying too much pressure on the thumb rest and that is what is forcing it down.  FWIW I run 10 lb. recoil springs in both my 2011 Open guns, and that is with 10.5 oz. slides and 9 and 8.5 oz. barrels.  Slide to frame fit on both are tight, as in no play up, down or side-to-side.

35 minutes ago, zzt said:

I think it more likely your are applying too much pressure on the thumb rest and that is what is forcing it down.  FWIW I run 10 lb. recoil springs in both my 2011 Open guns, and that is with 10.5 oz. slides and 9 and 8.5 oz. barrels.  Slide to frame fit on both are tight, as in no play up, down or side-to-side.

Thank you for the response. 

I’ve noticed it while staying off the thumb rest. 

I shoot CO mostly so I don’t use one.  

Saying that, I’m open to looking at my grip. This is different gun that I haven’t shot a lot. Least not recently. so, it could be me. 

Edited by B_RAD

43 minutes ago, B_RAD said:

Saying that, I’m open to looking at my grip. This is different gun that I haven’t shot a lot. Least not recently. so, it could be me. 

I've found that if I grip tightly with the intention of reducing muzzle flip, the gun dips on return.  If I use a regular grip and pay no attention to flip, the dot returns to the same spot with no dip.  So don't try to force the gun down.

19 hours ago, Sarge said:

6lb is what PT sells with their Honchos for Major

EDIT: apologize, just saw that someone else already mentioned this

Edited by jt1207

On 5/10/2021 at 4:44 PM, B_RAD said:

My uneducated guess is all the gas is going up thru the ports and actually thrusting the muzzle down. 

I mean, it would have to be an incredible amount of force OR you would have to have an astounding grip for that to happen

2 hours ago, UpYoursPal said:

I mean, it would have to be an incredible amount of force OR you would have to have an astounding grip for that to happen

IDK, just seems between the two powders I've tried in 9 major, the one with more gas has the dip and the other doesn't. 

I also just started load development for 9mm major Honcho. I am used to shooting 9 minor in it. I immediately noticed the dot didn't rise at all but actually dipped substantially. I tried less powder, more powder, faster powder. I have a home range so it's easy to mess with it.

What made the dip go away was just relaxing and easing up on the grip some, focusing on keeping the splits around .16 with a neutral pressure. Final load is 10 grains SWMP 124 MG at 1.175. 

Not sure if that will apply to you, but having never shot an open major gun its clear to me that I need to develop a slightly different technique. Heres a vid of my new laid back grip.

34 minutes ago, Blockader said:

I also just started load development for 9mm major Honcho. I am used to shooting 9 minor in it. I immediately noticed the dot didn't rise at all but actually dipped substantially. I tried less powder, more powder, faster powder. I have a home range so it's easy to mess with it.

What made the dip go away was just relaxing and easing up on the grip some, focusing on keeping the splits around .16 with a neutral pressure. Final load is 10 grains SWMP 124 MG at 1.175. 

Not sure if that will apply to you, but having never shot an open major gun its clear to me that I need to develop a slightly different technique. Heres a vid of my new laid back grip.

Thanks for the info!

Also meant to add that like you when I tried a faster powder (7.5 grains shooters world auto pistol) the dip went away even with my regular heavy grip. But the dot had a lot more jump, more than my minor load with the single port comp, and the impulse was much sharper. I much preferred the feel and flatness of the slow powder and figure I'll just learn how to shoot it even if it takes some time and primers. 

On 5/10/2021 at 2:59 PM, Sarge said:

i run a 7 with 11 coils cut off and it works fine....thats around a 5lb

53 minutes ago, AverageJoeShooting said:

i run a 7 with 11 coils cut off and it works fine....thats around a 5lb

For the life of me I cannot understand cutting off so many coils.  Why not just buy a 5 lb. variable?