Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Storing and Carrying Ammo

Farmer

For pistol ammo i reuse plastic containers from peanuts and salsa.  Sam's club had a great jalapeño container but unfortunately switched to glass. Various other containers too.  

For competition rifle ammo, i but MTM containers.

I store my factory ammo in ammo cans and my match ammo in my magazines as I load the rounds the week of and load my mags  at the same time. Extra ammo is brought is an old plastic mixed but container from costco.

I use the MTM plastic 100 RD ammo boxes.   They cost a bit more than a sandwich bag but there are some important advantages.   1st you know how many rounds, you need 150 for a match, two cases.   2.nd - When you put the bullets in nose down you can easily see things you might have missed in the drop check, like a high primer, upside down primer, or none etc.  3rd - If a round is long or short you will see that.   4th - When loading magazines you can use the rows of ten to help you know how many are in the mag.  5th - They stack well on shelves and it is easy to take an inventory of how much ammo you have.  Although some only load what the need on Friday night I tend to load a few thousand then use them up over time.

well the "Zombi" thing isnt cool any more,  so I got a large box ox MTM ammo cans with zombies on them for dirt cheap... These are basically the size of army 5.56 cans,, Got about 20 of them,,, sharpie and some blue tape,,, works great,
For flying though I do save factory style boxes.

I was storing everything loose in surplus ammo cans.

I just started loading again cause I'm almost out and I'm not sure how I am going to proceed.  Buying 50-100 of 100 round boxes kind of seems like a waste.

I'm thinking I will just continue using the cans and keep 1000 or so rounds in boxes and refill as needed.  I recently got a Hundo gauge which I love and it's nice just flipping them into a box but whatever.

I was using ammo cans for the longest, but I just recently purchased 100 rd square cases, primarily because I purchased a 100 rd 9mm case gauge that works very well with square 100 rd cases.  The cases are only $3.99 a piece on Amazon, but there is a purchase limit of 4 for some reason.  The case gauge is $129 on Amazon, but it's worth its weight in gold IMO.  I can check 100 rds of 9mm at a time, then place a case on top of the gauge, flip it over, and I'm ready to go!  I place the cases in my ammo cans now rather than loose ammo, which keeps things tidy.

Edited by jabarihunt
Fixed typo

On 4/21/2021 at 1:23 PM, Joe4d said:

Don’t know why it didn’t print your quote about saving boxes for flying. 

Is that just a airline rule? I also thought factory boxes were needed but looking at the TSA site they say cardboard, or plastic boxes as long as they fully contain the ammo. Maybe another random out of the blue rule change?

Edited by Farmer
Correction

mix of mtm 100 round plastic ammo boxes and .30 - .50 cal plastic ammo cans.  before i recently started reloading i just kept everything in the factory 50 round boxes.

for storage i have one safe at least half filled with ammo, then a few of those really large rubbermaid totes, all with goldenrods to help keep down humidity.-50

For travel by airlines various 9mm factory boxes, I found it easier when traveling due to the airline personnel recognizing it as ammo boxes, I’ve had them question MTM boxes.  Yes the MTM’s are better, but trying to explain that at  ticket counter usually doesn’t end well. I’ve also gotten into the habit of going to the airlines FAQ page, and printing their firearms and ammo policy and having it handy.

another benefit of factory boxes is I toss them at the match, less stuff to haul back home.