Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shadow 2 slide stop broken

Gennady-Kh

After about an year regular shooting brand new slide stop bloke (see pic).

What could be a reason? Bad ammo? No reloading, factory produced only.

CZ replaced by warranty along with new recoil spring. Another year passed, works fine.

Just wonder how it is possible for such thick bolt. Only barrel is going down this direction

Thanks,

Gennady

slide stop_small.jpg

Slide stops are consumable. They break. Always keep replacements handy. Same thing with the trigger return spring. On CZ's, these are the 2 components that should really be replaced every 5000-7000 rounds for preventive maintenance. Otherwise they will break and it's guaranteed to happen during a match, never at practice.

17 minutes ago, ClangClang said:

Slide stops are consumable. They break. Always keep replacements handy. Same thing with the trigger return spring. On CZ's, these are the 2 components that should really be replaced every 5000-7000 rounds for preventive maintenance. Otherwise they will break and it's guaranteed to happen during a match, never at practice.

Trigger spring + slide stop. I got it!

Kind of tricky to change trigger spring in the field.

Already ordered 2 extra fire pin springs, hi!

Thanks!

55 minutes ago, ClangClang said:

With the newer shadow 2 TRS I wouldnt worry about replacing them that often. I see around 25k round out of them in my practice guns that get a lot of dry fire. Do it yearly in your match gun or every 15-20k rounds if you only have one gun. With the slide stop if you have 1 gun have a match and practice slide stop. If you have 2 guns run the practice one until it breaks and put the old match one in the practice gun and a new one in the match gun.

28 minutes ago, Foxj66 said:

With the newer shadow 2 TRS I wouldnt worry about replacing them that often. I see around 25k round out of them in my practice guns that get a lot of dry fire. Do it yearly in your match gun or every 15-20k rounds if you only have one gun. With the slide stop if you have 1 gun have a match and practice slide stop. If you have 2 guns run the practice one until it breaks and put the old match one in the practice gun and a new one in the match gun.

Good info, thank you.

After 70k rnds in my SP01, lost track of how many I've broken and to lazy at the moment to find records to see.  Seems like 3 to 5 or in that range.  Learned after the first one during a match to place left, first finger to press on the slide stop and keep shooting.  After the stage, go to safety area and replace.  Takes to minutes, and I ALWAYS have spare in the range bag, and always shoot major matches with a new slide stop.  I do track rnd on my pistols and when parts break and/or replaced.  The slide stops are all over the chart in terms of round counts.  One less than 10K and others 25+k.  No rhyme or reason as to when.  I will say new slide stops have last longer than ones years ago.

if u have proper tool  for TRS it's few minutes work to change this part on field condition.

SS one for practice and one for competition use only .change it every 5k .

in few years u could make nice SS collection.😉

As the guys above confirmed, they break so it makes sense to have a spare and keep track of how many rounds are on the one in the gun. I also agree there’s no real set life span on them. Some break fairly quickly (10k rounds), some may have 30k+ on them and still going. 

With the trs, fit one of the floating trigger pins when you replace it (I like cgw, but any brand will do). The cgw one does come with a little slave pin which makes it much easier to re-assemble it all. 

On 4/18/2021 at 10:24 PM, SuperKing said:

In regards to field replacement of the the TRS, a CGW trigger pin and Eemann Tech's Trigger Return Spring tool really does make it super easy.

Where do I find one of these tools? Estonia? any vendors in the states?

Since when is a slide stop considered consumable? Or is this just a CZ design flaw? I would have to lean towards design flaw. I have heard of this quite often, and it does not instill confidence in my CZ's even though I don't have enough rounds thru them to worry yet. They did come with extras, so that tells me they know there's a problem. Why not just make them out of a stronger material. What do they make them out of? Recycled beer cans?

Edited by mpeltier

2 hours ago, mpeltier said:

Since when is a slide stop considered consumable? Or is this just a CZ design flaw? I would have to lean towards design flaw. I have heard of this quite often, and it does not instill confidence in my CZ's even though I don't have enough rounds thru them to worry yet. They did come with extras, so that tells me they know there's a problem. Why not just make them out of a stronger material. What do they make them out of? Recycled beer cans?

It's a consumable so it doesn't peen the barrel. They impact on each other during recoil. I'd much rather have the SS break than the barrel linkage.

20 hours ago, ClangClang said:

It's a consumable so it doesn't peen the barrel. They impact on each other during recoil. I'd much rather have the SS break than the barrel linkage.

I get what your saying, but is that your opinion on the subject or is it CZ's position on it? I don't know of any pistol design where the slide stop was designed to be a consumable. I have used a lot of pistol designs over the years and been issued different pistol designs and uncounted numbers of rounds down range, not one of them ever broke slide stops and/or considered them consumable. 

2 hours ago, mpeltier said:

I get what your saying, but is that your opinion on the subject or is it CZ's position on it? I don't know of any pistol design where the slide stop was designed to be a consumable. I have used a lot of pistol designs over the years and been issued different pistol designs and uncounted numbers of rounds down range, not one of them ever broke slide stops and/or considered them consumable. 

This can happen to Sig P320, where the take down lever also serves the purpose of slide stop. I only heard it happen to competition shooters using very low power recoil spring though. 

3 hours ago, Superkaratemonkeyfighter said:

It’s probably more geared towards us guys running low weight recoil springs. 
not sure any pistol is designed for a

9-10lbs recoil spring. 
Idk my two cent

in ours club all cz guns run with  original  factory springs:  sh1  16lb, TSO 15lb 

with 15 lb RS  slide stop  in TSO hold 6k-12k factory 9mm  ammo. with 12lb RS max 5k. 

8 hours ago, mpeltier said:

100% my own opinion. I don't recall ever seeing any official statement from CZ one way or the other. I doubt CZ would use the word "consumable"  but I think we can all admit that high round count competition shooting is slightly outside the use cases for 98% of gun owners and we put more stress on our guns than almost anyone, including most (but not all) LE and .mil users.

I'm not sure the slide stop issue is a design flaw, nor a feature. It's just a factor. All guns have consumable parts. Different guns have different maintenance schedules. It's just one of the many different tradeoffs each shooter/user should understand when making their selection. If a shooter's priorities are universal aftermarket support and as few replacement parts as possible, then a CZ might not be the right choice for them. There are other platforms that are probably better aligned with those requirements.

If someone wants a heavy, steel frame DA/SA pistol with a highly customizable SA trigger pull and they aren't bothered by replacing their slide stop annually, then perhaps a CZ might be an excellent choice.

Neither choice is wrong. Just gotta go with what feels right and matches your requirements.

51 minutes ago, ClangClang said:

100% my own opinion. I don't recall ever seeing any official statement from CZ one way or the other. I doubt CZ would use the word "consumable"  but I think we can all admit that high round count competition shooting is slightly outside the use cases for 98% of gun owners and we put more stress on our guns than almost anyone, including most (but not all) LE and .mil users.

I'm not sure the slide stop issue is a design flaw, nor a feature. It's just a factor. All guns have consumable parts. Different guns have different maintenance schedules. It's just one of the many different tradeoffs each shooter/user should understand when making their selection. If a shooter's priorities are universal aftermarket support and as few replacement parts as possible, then a CZ might not be the right choice for them. There are other platforms that are probably better aligned with those requirements.

If someone wants a heavy, steel frame DA/SA pistol with a highly customizable SA trigger pull and they aren't bothered by replacing their slide stop annually, then perhaps a CZ might be an excellent choice.

Neither choice is wrong. Just gotta go with what feels right and matches your requirements.

The lighter springs used may be a logical factor, as some have mentioned. What spring do you use? I wish the OP had given that info as well. I have been competing for over twenty years and have recorded some pretty high round counts and never broke a slide stop so I find this very interesting. I also have not ever used a very light spring either.

When I shot production with a shadow, Matt Mink suggested to me to practice and maybe shoot level 1 with one slide stop and have a second for level 2 +, or perhaps it was one for practice and one for matches.  Then I had a third in my bag as a back up.  They will break, and usually at the worst time.  So depending on how much live fire practice you do, chose from above.  I went with level 2+ option so as to limit the damage it could do to a match that I dumped a lot of money into .

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/20/2021 at 11:16 PM, mpeltier said:

I’m not sure I’d call it a consumable exactly. The average gun owner that shoots a few hundred rounds a year will likely never replace one. 

When you are into competition and training 20-50k rounds per year and you’ve modified the gun with lighter springs etc it’s normal that some parts are going to wear out and need replacement. 

The way all cz75 style actions work (fixed lower barrel lug running on the slide stop pin) does put some wear on the pin. They unlock and link down over a shorter distance (and shorter time) than, for example, a 1911 style action. 

I don’t know I’d call it a flaw exactly. The pistols as originally designed weren’t intended for 50k rounds/year with lightweight springs etc. sure they now make models marketed for competition but they can’t easily change the way the gun cycles. 

Beyond all that its just not a big deal to change one out after a while, or just shoot it till it breaks.