Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Moonclip question

balmo

I just bought a sw929 an cannot wait to play with it in USPSA.

I have a question with the moonclips. The 929 came with 40 moonclips which is great. I do see though that the moonclip has a rolled edge on one side and a sharp edge on the other.

Is there a proper monnclip orientation in loading the ammo? Thanks.

I do not own a 929, but on my 625 I put the sharp edge towards the case head and the rolled edge towards the cylinder. On my 45, more of them pass the moon clip checker this way.

Edited by PatJones

Technically it doesn't make any difference.  The proper way to look at it may be that since the moonclip side towards the cylinder probably gets a miniscule amount more of gas/carbon and ignoring it would mean that random chance would even things out.  Or you could look at it that by alternating them in some manner would  ensure that each one gets its fair share of gas/carbon fouling.  Or you could always do it one way, flat side up or flat side down, which for some reason I started doing and have no valid excuse but OCD.

Or you could be one of the smart ones who doesn't think about it and spends that time reloading, practicing or even SHOOTING that spinner!

Either way CONGRATULATIONS and WELCOME to the club!

If one were wanting to get highly technical about it, probably the sharp edge side should go up. Theoretically, this would make for more positive extraction on the top, and a tiny bit more clearance for debris between the clip and the cylinder on the bottom. After many years of using moonclips, I can't tell that it makes any difference, so don't worry about it. The higher end ones have all sharp edges from being wire EDM cut. I just get the ammo on and go.

Funny thing, I have had a few people ask me why I'm going to all the trouble to put ammo on moonclips while they are sitting there loading magazines. The best part is when I get all my cases back in a couple of swipes, and they are pecking around on the ground like a chicken for 10 minutes trying to find their brass.

23 hours ago, Toolguy said:

If one were wanting to get highly technical about it, probably the sharp edge side should go up. Theoretically, this would make for more positive extraction on the top, and a tiny bit more clearance for debris between the clip and the cylinder on the bottom. After many years of using moonclips, I can't tell that it makes any difference, so don't worry about it. The higher end ones have all sharp edges from being wire EDM cut. I just get the ammo on and go.

Funny thing, I have had a few people ask me why I'm going to all the trouble to put ammo on moonclips while they are sitting there loading magazines. The best part is when I get all my cases back in a couple of swipes, and they are pecking around on the ground like a chicken for 10 minutes trying to find their brass.

Now that makes sense!   Debris clearance and maybe even a bit more support on the rims, especially on rimless rounds, to stiffen impact and enhance ignition.  As long as the sharp edges aren't raised thereby rendering that advantage moot.  

When shooting a Revolver I always take enough loaded moon clips so I don't have to do anything but find the ones I drop.  I can be focusing on my "Zen"  while others are loading mags!   The only down side is it's sometimes hard to find the moon clips!  And I don't want to leave a $7 moon clip laying on the ground.

19 hours ago, Cuz said:

I never mess with loading or unloading moon clips at a match. I always bring twice as many as I need loaded up, tested and ready to go. 

I do the same. A little bit of scrap dowel and a few pieces of dowel stock make a great baseplate for a .50-cal ammo can—I can fit 500 rounds on clips.

I use the large plastic parts storage boxes from Harbor Freight.  Fits in my range bag, and you can see how many moons you have loaded / used.  Pull out the side dividers and I think over 40 moons into it (don't have it handy).

1 hour ago, Cuz said:

Somewhere there was a thread of how folks stored/brought their moon clips to a match. I gotta go review it for new ideas. 

Post the thread link if you find it. I just bought my first revo and am looking for ideas. 

I made some of wood, 1/2" base with 3/8" dowells best size was 3 wide, 2 clips stacked by how many in length, anywhere from a maximum of 8 (48 moons) to a minimum of 6 (36 moons).  It fit nicely in a regular shooting bag.

I also used, in a CED back pack bag, some Plano boxes with spaces for 24 moon clips.  Very nice, can be found at Academy (or anywhere selling storage) and cheap.

This is one version 3700, there's another that has solid dividers, top to bottom, for 6 rows with 4 clips in each.  https://www.amazon.com/s?k=plano+3700+series&hvadid=78202815849686&hvbmt=bb&hvdev=c&hvqmt=p&tag=mh0b-20&ref=pd_sl_75cutfzh35_b

post-4896-1145451093.jpg

Edited by pskys2

On 3/14/2021 at 9:31 AM, Fishbreath said:

It's the best part about moon clips. Not only do I get my brass back, sometimes people coming up the stage to score/paste will out and out hand it to me!

And sometimes they just step on them instead...

I think they're just jealous

1 hour ago, PatJones said:

And sometimes they just step on them instead...

I think they're just jealous

Usually I'm the one who steps on my moon clips!  And if I don't step on them then they seem to run far away and hide well.

2 hours ago, Distant Thunder said:

Might I suggest bifocals? Or, better yet, A lot of friends with bifocals. Yes, I'm already there.

Wouldn't help I always feel them when I step on them but I'm focused on the COF.  As for finding them, they just blend in after rolling 15 feet forward of the stage.  They never seem to go backwards?  I doubt that any type of glasses would help either.

One of my buds even painted the moon clips a fluorescent color, didn't help.  

But I've never left one on the range, yet!