Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Timney Glock Alpha Competition trigger

tt350z

11 hours ago, Sinister4 said:

I've made a few from billet to alter the spring force as well as the take up, of course you also have to alter the ramp on the trigger bar birds beak as you remove take up for the firing pin block to still function correctly. Picture before I send them out for hard anodize. 

P1010010.JPG

That interesting, keep us informed on how it goes

• Replies 453
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

14 hours ago, sandflea316 said:

That interesting, keep us informed on how it goes

I did a run of 10, zero issues,  but easier to just stick the stock one in the mill and cut it as needed. Most guys just want a bit of the pretravel and overtravel removed so not worth perusing.

• 2 weeks later...

Related to trigger reset issues, I don't know if anyone covered this yet because I didn't read through all these posts but at a cursory glance I haven't seen any mention of this, and maybe it's just particular to my gun. 

I just installed the gen3/4 Timney in my Shadow Systems MR920L, so the frame isn't a Glock OEM. I installed it yesterday and was having issues with the trigger fully resetting but I was able to fix it and now have zero reset issues.

My fix - I noticed that the trigger bar was hitting hard against the inside of the frame just behind and above where the trigger shoe sits on the right side of the frame. It was at the section of the trigger bar where it has a sort of "z" shape. The part of the trigger bar that's perpendicular to the length of the gun was hitting the frame. After initial install and messing with it for a short while I saw a section of the frame that was marred and realized it was coming into direct contact with the perpendicular section of the trigger bar. I removed a little plastic with a dremel right where the marks were from the trigger and it fixed the issue completely. 

So perhaps your trigger bar isn't hitting that spot head on since Glock frames have slightly different specs but it might be coming into contact there and creating a lot of friction that the reset spring is having difficulty overcoming. Maybe remove a little plastic or bevel the bottom edge of the perpendicular section of the trigger bar to reduce the friction. 

But, before figuring out that solution another place that I found a lot of friction was on the trigger housing. Looking down from above, on the top right quarter of it, there is a small ramp that the part of the trigger bar that presses down the sear has to ride up while resetting. The plastic is pretty rough and it's a fairly aggressive ramp. I took off a little material here to make the ramp more gradual and polished it with progressively fine grits up to 15k and I immediately noticed a smoother reset afterwards. Even if I didn't have any issues with a reliable reset I'd definitely recommend doing this.

Some pics of my fix -

In the first pic you can see the horizontal marks from the trigger bar inside the frame. There is some material already removed to the left of them on the vertical edge which was me trying to get to it with a small round file, and realized it wouldn't work. The second picture is after I removed the material with a dremel and with me pressing the trigger to the rear to reveal the location. The third picture is after I smoothed out that little ramp on the trigger housing. 

ss01 (1).jpg

ss02 (1).jpg

ss03 (1).jpg

Edited by guns_are_fun

• 2 weeks later...

Ordered mine  Wednesday, got them Saturday.

Second order for me. Liked the Tootsie Pop, liked the funny confirmation e-mail, but liked the trigger feel even more. I had Vanek GM triggers in my 34-3’s, left the guts in them when putting in the Alpha’s. Now they break at just over 2# with just a touch of creep at the end. Another stock 34-3 top end with OEM springs mated to the Timney upgraded receiver is about 2 1/2#.

With the red spring I get a very positive return, which I like. Adjusting pre travel is not a concern for me so I may run either the set up with the tweaked springs or just drop in the trigger group into future OEM 34-3’s.

• 1 month later...

Mine arrived in the mail today. Put it in my 17 and it won’t work at all. I’m not 100% if it’s even holding the striker in the cocked position. I believe it is but the sear will not drop and let it forward. Very disappointed at this point. All factory internals as well. 

30 minutes ago, LeviSS said:

What's this red spring you guys are talking about?  Mine just came with a silver spring.

When they first came out there was  only the silver spring. After people were complaining of reset issues Timney came out with a stronger “red” spring. They also added a u shaped washer because people were breaking the corners off the glock housing. Just contact Timney and they will send you the springs and washer for free. At least they did for me.

2 hours ago, Vince740 said:

Mine arrived in the mail today. Put it in my 17 and it won’t work at all. I’m not 100% if it’s even holding the striker in the cocked position. I believe it is but the sear will not drop and let it forward. Very disappointed at this point. All factory internals as well. 

Since it does not work at all I would check the sear in the red housing to see if it moves up and down. You can check it with a small screwdriver or any small pointed tool. Just try pushing the sear up and down in the housing it should move up and down freely. The last one I bought the sear would not move at all. I removed the two pins that hold the sear in the housing and after taking the sear out found a burr inside the housing from where the hole had been drilled. I used some fine sand paper to remove the burr from the housing put it back together and it worked like it should. The sear moved up and down freely.

I put mine in a G19 gen 3 and other than the funky reset runs 100%.

On 10/19/2021 at 9:55 PM, guns_are_fun said:

Some pics of my fix -

In the first pic you can see the horizontal marks from the trigger bar inside the frame. There is some material already removed to the left of them on the vertical edge which was me trying to get to it with a small round file, and realized it wouldn't work. The second picture is after I removed the material with a dremel and with me pressing the trigger to the rear to reveal the location. The third picture is after I smoothed out that little ramp on the trigger housing. 

ss01 (1).jpg

ss02 (1).jpg

ss03 (1).jpg

I think that's the same problem I'm having.  It's even worse with a gunked up frame.

Did relieving that area help the problem?

Edited by LeviSS

• 3 weeks later...

I happened to be tinkering today since i couldn't find my JG Timney conversion kit, I went ahead and just dropped the competition kit into my g19 gen 5 carry rig.  IIRC i am running a 6lb trigger spring and a 5lb striker spring (yellow?) with an apex trigger kit.  Pull averages about 3.5 pounds with a very defined wall.

Dropping the Timney in I am getting a sub 2# pull (with the red spring - i couldn't get it to firmly reset with the other one).  Will have to try it in a couple of matches while I wait for my SIG to come back from its trigger job.

• 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...
I have the factory minus connector in my Gen3 34's and 35's, so not the same.  

Timney Alpha, Vex Shoe and JG's new Extra Power trigger return spring (black).

All are breaking at 1# - 6 oz on average (1# - 3.3 oz prior to JG EP spring, so yup...lost out there).  Reset is as close to instant as can be had in Glocks. 

Best set-up ever!  But not going to wait any more for Glock new stuff; Shadow 2 inbound. 

So I did end up trying the + connector with Timney Alpha and JG vex shoe...man, that is a heavy pull. I beveled the reset edge and polished it well. Got it down to 4.5#-5# pull. Def wall but heavy pull. I do like a def wall though, so I may go back to the oem 5.5# connector and work it. Right now I have the Zev Pro, I prefer it to the Ghost variety and LWD variety.

4 hours ago, MuayThaiJJ said:

So I did end up trying the + connector with Timney Alpha and JG vex shoe...man, that is a heavy pull. I beveled the reset edge and polished it well. Got it down to 4.5#-5# pull. Def wall but heavy pull. I do like a def wall though, so I may go back to the oem 5.5# connector and work it. Right now I have the Zev Pro, I prefer it to the Ghost variety and LWD variety.

I use the Zev connector as well, prefer it over Johnny's + and dot connector. 

On 1/6/2023 at 2:20 PM, Joyblast said:

Anyone knows for how long the trigger return spring will hold? iv fired about 8k rounds with my Glock 45 with the timney trigger and probably just as many pulls if not more in dryfire. Will the spring snap at some point? 

A friend has gone through 3 different springs in different pistols at 3k, 4.5k, and 1k. 

I haven't been keeping track of my springs 😵💫