Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Timney Glock Alpha Competition trigger

tt350z

19 minutes ago, LowSpeedHighDrag said:

I put one in my G34 without any issues.  
Make sure the adjustment screw at the bottom of the Timney sear unit is tightened after you put it into the Glock housing.

I sort of did the same; put a G34 slide on the G17 frame with Timney and it ran great.  Not sure that screw does any "adjusting," but if it's not pulling the Timney sear unit fully into the trigger housing, it might sit high enough to cause the failure I experienced...but mine was fully seated.

The only time my G35 with Timney would drop the striker was when pressure was applied to the rear of the slide, and that was only intermittently...battery issue?

• Replies 453
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

59 minutes ago, sx2gl35 said:

I sort of did the same; put a G34 slide on the G17 frame with Timney and it ran great.  Not sure that screw does any "adjusting," but if it's not pulling the Timney sear unit fully into the trigger housing, it might sit high enough to cause the failure I experienced...but mine was fully seated.

The only time my G35 with Timney would drop the striker was when pressure was applied to the rear of the slide, and that was only intermittently...battery issue?

Sounds like it.  As an experiment try putting in the heaviest recoil spring you have and repeat manually cycling the action.

Yes, I agree with both of you: the Alpha was designed to work in both the G34 and G35; and it actually does work in the G34, (and in my case also in the G17) we all agree.  

But I'm the only one of us who has a G35 and the Alpha does not run in mine...my earlier post:

"Anyone install the Alpha into a G35 Gen 3?  I tried, but could not get the sear to release the striker consistently.  Dropped the same one into a G17 Gen 3 and no problems."

I was hoping to hear from someone who has a G35 and benefit from their experience with the Alpha. 

Got it, installed it and shot it.  Only a little better than my Vanek trigger but an improvement none the less. However, about one round per mag would not go into battery, just a push with my thumb to go in.

Closer inspection showed that my striker is dragging on the trigger bar. Not a lot but enough. 

Any suggestions? 

4 hours ago, thehudge said:

Got it, installed it and shot it.  Only a little better than my Vanek trigger but an improvement none the less. However, about one round per mag would not go into battery, just a push with my thumb to go in.

Closer inspection showed that my striker is dragging on the trigger bar. Not a lot but enough. 

Any suggestions? 

Nope, no suggestions...never fired mine with the Alpha installed.  But here's what I did:

On my first try the sear would not release the striker at all.  So I removed the 4# striker spring and LWD connector, and replaced them with a 5# striker spring and OEM minus connector (Jager light striker and 15# recoil spring in both installations).

Now the trigger fired and reset intermittently but more consistently when I put pressure on the rear of the slide.  Since to me this suggested an "out of battery" condition, I no longer wanted to screw with it.

Like you, I'm happy with my trigger (McNally - both screws accessable when slide removed).  The gun runs fine on 132 PF ammo, and no OOB - KB issues.

Still looking to talk with someone who has their G35 running clean with an Alpha... 

• 2 weeks later...

Have a Timney Alpha on order here in Europe. Have seen Johnny Glocks recent updates/improvements on the Alpha Omega. As that’s not an option from overseas - is it something i can instruct an experienced  gunsmith on?

I don’t think an experienced gunsmith would have the knowledge of what to do. JG adds a pretravel set screw, adds his tuned connector and also does something to your striker which you also send to him. Unless your gunsmith is also a Glock expert, you might be disappointed. Sorry!

Just received and installed my 3 Johnny Glock tuned Timney triggers. Installation into my Gen 3 Glock 26 went off without a hitch. The installation into my two Gen 4 Glock 34s required pretravel adjustment (turning the set screw out) until I had a reliable reset. Took all 3 guns to the range and they all functioned perfectly.  All three pistols have trigger weights at about two and a half pounds. The resets on all three are incredibly short and positive. Hope this helps anyone trying to decide to go this route. Best triggers I’ve ever had in my pistols. 

20 minutes ago, dapribek said:

I don’t think an experienced gunsmith would have the knowledge of what to do. JG adds a pretravel set screw, adds his tuned connector and also does something to your striker which you also send to him. Unless your gunsmith is also a Glock expert, you might be disappointed. Sorry!

Thnx - appreciated

9 hours ago, dapribek said:

Just received and installed my 3 Johnny Glock tuned Timney triggers. Installation into my Gen 3 Glock 26 went off without a hitch. The installation into my two Gen 4 Glock 34s required pretravel adjustment (turning the set screw out) until I had a reliable reset. Took all 3 guns to the range and they all functioned perfectly.  All three pistols have trigger weights at about two and a half pounds. The resets on all three are incredibly short and positive. Hope this helps anyone trying to decide to go this route. Best triggers I’ve ever had in my pistols. 

Does JG use the Timney reset spring? Is the reset speed any different from stock Timney?

Ok, everything seems to be working now. I had an after market trigger mechanism housing and installed the factory one but still with the rocket dissconnector. Yes an improvement but.......

Ill be sending it off to JG in a couple of weeks, so we'll see.   

Got my Timney this week and had a chance to try it out today. 
I was using the silver return spring with a (-) connector and had a couple of times where I rode the reset and it didn’t reset all the way while trying to pull the trigger. 
I’ll try out the red spring next time. The trigger reset is much longer than my tactical trigger but this one is for sure lighter. 

12 hours ago, Edwards30 said:

Got my Timney this week and had a chance to try it out today. 
I was using the silver return spring with a (-) connector and had a couple of times where I rode the reset and it didn’t reset all the way while trying to pull the trigger. 
I’ll try out the red spring next time. The trigger reset is much longer than my tactical trigger but this one is for sure lighter. 

I had no luck with an aftermarket connector when I installed mine (Gen 4 G34), but with the original factory connector the Timney worked perfectly, and the trigger pull was good.  You might want to try that.

Ok got my JG Timney Alpha Omega trigger back.  Definitely lighter with a shorter pre-travel and reset.  I got a trigger pull gauge coming in today to test the pull and compare it to my non modified Timney Alpha.

The JG Alpha Omega came with a lighter plunger spring, JG connector, a modified striker(I provided my own striker) and 4 lb striker spring installed.  Also came with a 4.5 lb striker spring.  

Interested to see if either spring can ignite steel case primers.  If not I'll prolly install a heavier striker spring until it can ignite them.

My non modified Timney Alpha has a ghost connector with everything else OEM.  Ignites steel case ammo reliably.  

11 minutes ago, sandflea316 said:

Ok got my JG Timney Alpha Omega trigger back.  Definitely lighter with a shorter pre-travel and reset.  I got a trigger pull gauge coming in today to test the pull and compare it to my non modified Timney Alpha.

The JG Alpha Omega came with a lighter plunger spring, JG connector, a modified striker(I provided my own striker) and 4 lb striker spring installed.  Also came with a 4.5 lb striker spring.  

Interested to see if either spring can ignite steel case primers.  If not I'll prolly install a heavier striker spring until it can ignite them.

My non modified Timney Alpha has a ghost connector with everything else OEM.  Ignites steel case ammo reliably.  

I wonder why he's using the lighter striker spring.  I thought the whole point of this system was to run a full power striker spring.